KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
Jan 1, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #241 of 834

Click on "news" at the top...

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/sample-page-2/

"I’m as active as ever with these but I’ve been busy over the last few months.  I built up a nice stash of KGSSHV mini’s and I’m completing the last of the full size KGSSHV’s.  Once these are gone there will only be the mini simply because people are more interested in the small desktop amp.  There have been other updates too as the Carbon design has progressed from the large chassis to the new mini Carbon which will take over as the normal unit.  There might be a new completely over the top full size Carbon in the future but it is months and months away and will cost a fortune.
The KGST has been out of stock for a while now but that should change soon as I’m working on new units.  The new Megatron is also slowly progressing and I did finally finish my own T2DIY unit which had been waiting for years and years.  It does sound good but I do prefer the Carbon to it in every way.  The Carbon is simply more honest and neutral while also being more powerful.

On the horizon is me moving so builds will slow down until that ordeal is over but I’m also working on some dynamic amps which will eat up a large part of my time."

I find that VERY interesting!!

I also own the Carbon (not Mjolnir Carbon) with a Golden Reference Power Supply and I prefer the T2 to it by a good margin.  Those who have stopped by also share the same sentiment.  
  He said it would cost roughly 8k.

However, do not that he's based in Iceland, which means his parts cost 20-40% more. For example, he said that RK50 would cost him 1.4k in the Iceland, compared to the 800-1000 in the US.

That's the downsize of buying from him.  Part costs are much higher for him.  I'm not sure what his labor rate is.  Also why bother with the RK50?  I thought Birgir loves the Alpha Pot.  (J/K, of course).  How about getting a quad DAC-T instead?  Maybe it is cheaper to get it directly from Denmark.

He does Carbons for just south of $5k. Again, I'm not sure what changes to Carbon launch its price into the stratosphere other than Circlotron, which I thought was estimated in the $12-15k range. Perhaps there is some hybrid tube design playing out. 

KG has so many designs out and he is most impressed with the Circlotron as well as the T2.  $12-15K is definitely way way expensive and above my price bracket.  Too many electrostat amps to sample really.  Sadly the higher ends one are quite expensive.

Jan 2, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #243 of 834
Apparently he does not charge for labor, and just parts. Given a 40% premium on parts, i guess that is somewhat accurate.

True. My mistake and sorry Birgir.

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #244 of 834
  He does Carbons for just south of $5k. Again, I'm not sure what changes to Carbon launch its price into the stratosphere other than Circlotron, which I thought was estimated in the $12-15k range. Perhaps there is some hybrid tube design playing out. 

Paradoxper, I reckon your T2 is going to be awesome, as it is still standing in these recent posts as the top amp above all others.

On the Carbon, I fancy one myself. My only worry is the price, if it gets too high it makes more sense to buy a BHSE as that beats the Carbon still on all fronts by the posts I have read so far. My KGSShv is close to the BHSE in my demos on both occasions, but in different areas. The BHSE's biggest jump for me is the soundstage width and the more liquid midrange. The bass and dynamics and the warmth of my KGSShv is damb good though, enough to not send me off to buy a BHSE bearing in the mind the typical price difference. Birgir's Carbon full size is getting mighty close to the BHSE price IMO if we factor in the VAT and import duty which from Iceland is quite a bit into the UK.

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #245 of 834

Paradoxper, I reckon your T2 is going to be awesome, as it is still standing in these recent posts as the top amp above all others.

On the Carbon, I fancy one myself. My only worry is the price, if it gets too high it makes more sense to buy a BHSE as that beats the Carbon still on all fronts by the posts I have read so far. My KGSShv is close to the BHSE in my demos on both occasions, but in different areas. The BHSE's biggest jump for me is the soundstage width and the more liquid midrange. The bass and dynamics and the warmth of my KGSShv is damb good though, enough to not send me off to buy a BHSE bearing in the mind the typical price difference. Birgir's Carbon full size is getting mighty close to the BHSE price IMO if we factor in the VAT and import duty which from Iceland is quite a bit into the UK.

The thing is the BHSE still can be tweaked further with different tubes. @arnaud can comment more about it as he's been tube rolling. Therefore when you mentioned KGSSHv is close to the BHSE what tubes were the BHSE running?

Jan 2, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #246 of 834

Save your pennies for the SR-11. 
tongue.gif

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #247 of 834

The T2 is always awesome!

The thing is the BHSE still can be tweaked further with different tubes. @arnaud can comment more about it as he's been tube rolling. Therefore when you mentioned KGSSHv is close to the BHSE what tubes were the BHSE running?

Plus the BHSE will sport better build quality and likely will hold its value longer.  I agreed with Sean that the ability to tweak the sound by rolling tubes making a more future proof products.  What happen if the SR-11 tonality is different than SR009?  Why not convince Headincloud to build you a Carbon?  His price is always very reasonable.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #248 of 834

The last full day demo with my KGSShv and David's BHSE the amp had Mullard NOS XF2s I think, or the XF4s. Need to check that, but they were one of those. My KGSShv was close / possibly better in some areas such as bass and dynamics, so sounded stronger on some music genders. However the most obvious jump in the BHSE was the soundstage width, it was wider and more 3D. And the EL34 midrange magic is hard to beat. Strangely my KGSShv is warmer than the BHSE. I actually really dig my KGSShv TBH, built by headinclouds, it runs at 450V 10Ma and has a Torroidy transformer and some nice resistors, a 41 step pot and connection rods to the back for short wiring paths. I actually have 2 from Geoff. My other identical KGSShv (but with an Alpha pot) is in my other system in the UK which uses the 007As (2015 model).

I am of the opinion the better tube amps will always beat a solid state on realism and holographic presentation, (this is my opinion, so please don't attack) based on demos with tons of amps and having had 300B SETs for year and many solid state amplifiers before and after. However, the failing in tube power amps (speakers) can be driving the speakers (bass impact and speed) and tube hassles. The latter made me give up on tube power amps in the end. Right now I can leave the amps on and listen when I want, late at night, 30 minutes in the morning, and it all sounds the same (good). No warm ups, no panicking my house is burning down while I walk the dogs....

Jan 3, 2016 at 12:44 PM Post #251 of 834
Hmm, I like heavy metal / metal on my 009 with my KGSShv mighty fine, lots of bass, and thrash guitars as much as you like. If you want thumping dull bass and loss of detail then yes, look elsewhere..... Don't forget the DAC makes a big difference as well.

Jan 3, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #252 of 834
Hmm so I suppose the 009s are fast sounding hence good for metal in general but I should not expect slamming bass, is that correct? I only have a modest Bifrost multibit at this point in time.

Jan 3, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #253 of 834
Hmm so I suppose the 009s are fast sounding hence good for metal in general but I should not expect slamming bass, is that correct? I only have a modest Bifrost multibit at this point in time.

I would recommend an amp that you can get enhanced bass with.  Personally I would favor a tube amp as you can play with tubes to get the bass you want.

Jan 3, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #254 of 834

SR-009 + BHSE = strong bass impact by my standards (which are of course far from basshead standards).  The KGSSHV Carbon supposedly has even more bass impact.

Jan 3, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #255 of 834

SR-009 + BHSE = strong bass impact by my standards (which are of course far from basshead standards).  The KGSSHV Carbon supposedly has even more bass impact.

Really depending on what tubes on the BHSE as well as parts used on the Carbon.  I've sampled 5 KGSSHVs and they all sounding a little bit difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back