KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s?
May 2, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #826 of 834
The 009 out of the BHSE is interesting, but to me not accurate. It also has the stat fatigue, even with Mullard NOS EL34s and a top R2R DAC.
IMO of course.

The Abyss scale so well, with a top source and amp, it is incredible. For example off the DAVE is is amazing, but off the Aries Cerat Genus, it is beyond the HE-1 no question, in all areas.

May 2, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #827 of 834
The 009 out of the BHSE is interesting, but to me not accurate. It also has the stat fatigue, even with Mullard NOS EL34s and a top R2R DAC.
IMO of course.

The Abyss scale so well, with a top source and amp, it is incredible. For example off the DAVE is is amazing, but off the Aries Cerat Genus, it is beyond the HE-1 no question, in all areas.
Have you compared the SR1a to the 009 and the planars?

May 2, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #829 of 834
I think at the end it all depends on personal taste.
some years ago I decided to buy the Abyss 1266 when it came out, then listened to it and left on the shelf because for me the highs were very fatiguing and the tone was too "fat", too much "bodied" if you know what I mean.
then I decided to buy the Phi since everyone said it was so much better than the original, again listened to it and left on the shelf, slightly better on the highs, but still too "fat" for me..
viceversa, I have never found it fatiguing my 009 when driven by KG GG with the MSB dac, I can listen for hours.and the tone to me is just perfect, I can listen to acoustic instruments just like when I'm in front of them.
I think it also depends on music, for sure I would not recommend 009 to listen to trip-hop or D'n'B, even if the 009 can handle this kind of music there are much better alternatives, and one could very well be the Abyss. but if you listen to acoustic jazz, vocals, classic, well then 009 is IMO just close to perfect.
of course, all the above is just IMVHO, and YMMV (especially depending on amplifier used... and yes I moved from BHSE to KGGG because to my ears this latter is better when paired with the right tubes... I used SED =C= and Mullard XF2 on BHSE, and now I'm using JJ 6CA7 on the GG)

May 2, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #830 of 834
I guess SR-009 + EQ to reduce the highs and boost the bass may yield good results. Good thing a powerful amp like the Carbon has plenty of headroom for that.
009s driven by Kgsshv Carbon does not sound bright at all, It does not need any Eq. to get full bass either.

After giving tube flavor by having Freya + fitted with Nos tubes in front of Carbon, 009s sounds refined with full and deep bass.

May 3, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #831 of 834
IMO of course.

I agree, it comes down to individual tastes. I think that's the biggest take away from this thread.

And I love the Abyss Phi TC. One of my top 2 or 3 for sure, but it too has it's own issues.. mainly for me is the lack of cohesion in the midrange and it just doesn't have the lightweight airiness/openness that the stats do. Again, I like them all for various reasons.

May 3, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #832 of 834
I agree, it comes down to individual tastes. I think that's the biggest take away from this thread.

And I love the Abyss Phi TC. One of my top 2 or 3 for sure, but it too has it's own issues.. mainly for me is the lack of cohesion in the midrange and it just doesn't have the lightweight airiness/openness that the stats do. Again, I like them all for various reasons.
It depends greatly how you drive it. Big tube amps sound quite different for example.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:11 AM Post #834 of 834

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back