KG CFA3 headphone amp
Jun 28, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #139 of 1,794
Wonder how this amp compares to the SparkoS Labs Aries
Maybe I'll buy one. I know the CFA will embarrass the Aries.

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #144 of 1,794
Hi All,

Wow - some impressive builds on here

A few questions for you all...

(1) I'm new to DIY audio - is the CFA3 an unrealistic build for me?
(2) Is there any point in building a Dynalo if I eventually end up building the CFA3? (will it sit idle and not get any love next to the CFA?)
(3) As I'm keen to learn / build myself... would any of you be open to helping me build by correspondence (for a fee of course! :ksc75smile: )

Cheers!

Jul 6, 2021 at 12:11 PM Post #145 of 1,794
Going to SMD components would let you shave at least 30-50% of area mostly by shrinking resistors. TO-92 board footprint isn't much smaller than SMD transistors and board width will be determined by heatsinked output transistors. I dunno, maybe some layouting wizard could make it flat mountable on a 2U heatsink. The problem is that many DIY'ers are afraid of SMD parts.

Thank you for your suggestion for what might be possible for making those amplifiers smaller.

Why are many DIY builders afraid of SMD components?

Re an SMD version of the CFA3 - pretty sure I saw @Kerry on Head-case post pics of an SMD prototype on there..

Jul 6, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #146 of 1,794
Re an SMD version of the CFA3 - pretty sure I saw @Kerry on Head-case post pics of an SMD prototype on there..
Did he post it in the Dynalo thread as I don't recall this post in the ANFSCD thread.

Jul 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #149 of 1,794
Indeed it's on the ANFSCD thread - second last page I think... A pic of a long blue PCB
Aha! Very cool. I wonder if the specs will remain the same.

Jul 6, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #150 of 1,794
Hope Dukei doesn't mind me sharing it here but we're currently doing an SMD build of the CFA3 that lets us use a shorter and narrower case (the 400mm depth was just too big!). It's a 3U high case but the best part is it allows us to flat lay the amp boards on the side heatsinks for a real amp-like look inside. With this there's so much space left inside it gives you a lot of upgrade options like going dual torroid, relay type attenuator, possibly even a dac board if you fancy that. The overall compactness of the amp is a big deal given they'll most likely end up on a desktop for most users and is one of the reasons I'm moving away from using speaker amps for my TC without losing the power.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back