Keyboard
Jul 11, 2002 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Mimician

New Head-Fier
hello everyone.

i know this is kinda off topic but i couldnt think of a better place posting this (pls tell me if u know of a forum that suits this better).

my logitech cordless keyboard doesnt have LED display of the caps-lock and num-lock etc. it's very inconvenient but i wouldnt want to buy a new one just for this. is it possible for me to add it in myself (open it up and stuff...)?

thks a lot!

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:03 PM Post #3 of 8
I know this isn't what you want to hear considering you probably spent a bundle on the wireless keyboard you already have, but...

I would highly recommend an IBM model M keyboard (preferably part # 1391401). It uses buckling spring technology to give you a much more tactile feel while typing than the newer rubber-dome keyboards. As I use a keyboard for many hours of the day, the keyboards I use must be comfortable to type on for long periods of time. The model M is like no other keyboard in existance. Watch out though, they are heavy as they have a metal plate inside, but are vitually unbreakable.

I warn you though, you either love or hate model m keyboards, there really is no in between.

For more information, look at http://www.3m3718.com/modelm.html

You can find model m keyboards cheaply on ebay for about $5-$10 or buy a new one from the company unicomp (pckeyboard.com) who bought the technology from lexmark when they stopped making the buckling spring keyboards for ibm.

I know this is a rant an pretty much unrelated, but I couldn't help myself.

Driftwood

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 8
I wonder if there are any programs that display an icon in the corner of your screen if the caps lock is pressed? Maybe something similar to MS Word where it alerts you that the Insert key has been pressed.

Jul 11, 2002 at 8:40 PM Post #5 of 8
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are. Many computer manufacturers include something like that at the BIOS level or something. You'll probably have to look around a bit to find the type of proggie you're looking for specifically. ...

kerelybonto

Jul 12, 2002 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 8
Driftwood, you're the man. Mimician, go to eBay and grab a model M. Spend about 20 minutes cleaning it up and be the happiest typist there ever was... the envy of your friends... five inches taller and 30 pounds lighter... you get the picture.

I believe that my M was the best computing investment I ever made. ($5, eBay.) Absolutely beautiful.

This site has all the information you need.

Peace and whackety clackety keys, BeeEss

Jul 13, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 8
No Windows Keys, no power / sleep keys?
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

I know you can get around the windows key with CTRL-ESC, but how about the sleep buttons and stuff?

and, 1988... 14 years on, if the average 'usable' keystrokes is about 1 million... isn't there quite a high likelyhood that these things are toast?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back