Keyboard-Fi
Oct 28, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #1,411 of 2,074
Not bad!  One of these days...I prefer linear switches, but Blues can be nice from time to time.  Favorite clicky switch is a buckling spring though...it's just classic.  I feel like the tactile point is high on a Topre so it wouldn't be like MX-Brown, which I wasn't too crazy about.  All my boards have MX-Red either stock or 'ghetto' converted from vintage MX-Black using blue/brown springs and all with o-ring dampeners.  The board I'm typing on now has vintage black stems w/ blue springs, and it's hard to tell the difference with my other that has vintage black stems and brown springs - if there is a weight difference in springs between brown and blue it has to be less than 2g.  Reds are  I actually liked MX-Black overall as I used an older Cherry board for a while but I ultimately preferred something lighter.  The board you got has the lightest actuation force available then (I wasn't even aware that an all 30g board existed, at least not in ANSI layout anyway), so you'll have to post your impressions here when you've had some time with it.  Seems like it will be lighter than MX-Red/Blue/Brown.  I suspect I'd get the 45g or variable weight version of the 87U when I pick one up...30g uniform sounds too light for me.

I have my Poker set up with blue stems + black springs just for fun because I had those extra, so it could be consider a some-what 'ghetto' MX-Green.  I don't use it on the regular, but I think I still like stock blues better.  Buckling spring is still better than both IMO even though it is heavier, similar to MX-Black in required force.  They're just fun to type on for some reason.

Oct 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #1,412 of 2,074
Bucklings always intrigued me. One of my keyboard/audiophile friends has some in storage but he said he really dislikes them
Of course prefered switch type is really based on preference rather than specs.
Though I find the 50g of blues even too heavy so I can'y imagine myself using bucklings for a long time.

Nov 1, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,415 of 2,074
Currently using a Ducky Mini with mx blues. Wanted to make the change back to ISO since I use ISO at work so wanted to use it at home as well.
I haven't sold my old Poker yet though since it's soooo nice (alu case, steel plate, ergo clears with imsto beige blanks).

I'll be looking to get some new keyboard for this soon probably, but haven't quite decided yet.

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #1,419 of 2,074
How does it compare to red cherry switch?

Probably lighter, smoother, and a bit more tactile. I've heard that 30g Topre feels the closest to linear. 30g should also sound quieter than reds (Assuming that the typist bottoms out on Reds)

Hey glitched, do you mind posting a really quick clip of typing on the 30g? They probably sound similar to 45g and 55g, but you can really tell the difference between 30g silent and 45g silent. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #1,420 of 2,074
How does it compare to red cherry switch?

Probably lighter, smoother, and a bit more tactile. I've heard that 30g Topre feels the closest to linear. 30g should also sound quieter than reds (Assuming that the typist bottoms out on Reds)

Hey glitched, do you mind posting a really quick clip of typing on the 30g? They probably sound similar to 45g and 55g, but you can really tell the difference between 30g silent and 45g silent. 

Trying to use audacity but the stupid hotkeys keep stopping me =(

And yea, that pretty much sums it up for the differences between red and topre 30g silent.

EDIT: here's the soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/gl1tch3d/topre-30g-silent-switch

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #1,422 of 2,074
Topre 30g sounds amazing considering one of the things I wished red cherry switch could use is a bit more tcatility. Don't know about it being lighter though as I found the reds to be light enough.

But still, I'll keep it in mind.

Regular 45g uniform Topre might be for you then. Leopold FC660C/HHKB are the two popular 45g uniform boards out there right now. The silent version also works but they're quite expensive. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #1,423 of 2,074
  Regular 45g uniform Topre might be for you then. Leopold FC660C/HHKB are the two popular 45g uniform boards out there right now. The silent version also works but they're quite expensive. 

Not to mention Realforce for those that prefer a more regular layout.. Eagerly awaiting 55g to come into stock ><

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #1,425 of 2,074
  I do miss some of the buttons, mainly the print screen button, but I like typing on this keyboard.
vrt

What keyboard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back