Keyboard-Fi
Sep 27, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,307 of 2,074
MX Blue, MX Green and MX White all have a separate slider component of the stem that when pushed past the actuator point it makes contact with the bottom of the stem, which gives an audible click before the rest of the stem bottoms out:

Every switch can be bottomed out...what he was saying is that if you can touch type, linear switches can be very quiet in comparison.  I use linear switches and some soft o-rings under every keycap to further dampen sound and make bottoming out softer when that happens.  That said, every switch when returning to the default position makes a noise as stem makes contact with the top of the housing.  This is still quieter than bottoming out, which is still quieter than the click made from switches with sliders.  The audible click from these switch types offers a confirmation that the switch has been activated for touch typists, so it's mostly about preference and if you need that confirmation or not.  

It's similar to how a buckling spring switch works in that when depressed, the spring is propelled into the switch housing at the same time as the actuation is made.  When you hear the click, you know the switch was activated.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #1,308 of 2,074
  MX Blue, MX Green and MX Clear all have a separate slider component of the stem that when pushed past the actuator point it makes contact with the bottom of the stem, which gives an audible click before the rest of the stem bottoms out:

Every switch can be bottomed out...what he was saying is that if you can touch type, linear switches can be very quiet in comparison.  I use linear switches and some soft o-rings under every keycap to further dampen sound and make bottoming out softer when that happens.  That said, every switch when returning to the default position makes a noise as stem makes contact with the top of the housing.  This is still quieter than bottoming out, which is still quieter than the click made from switches with sliders.  The audible click from these switch types offers a confirmation that the switch has been activated for touch typists, so it's mostly about preference and if you need that confirmation or not.  

It's similar to how a buckling spring switch works in that when depressed, the spring is propelled into the switch housing at the same time as the actuation is made.  When you hear the click, you know the switch was activated.

Wrong, clears are stiff Browns, you are thinking MX Whites, which are 80 gram soft clicky.

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #1,309 of 2,074

Wrong, clears are stiff Browns, you are thinking MX Whites, which are 80 gram soft clicky.

Correct, I updated my post....a bit rusty from my GeekHack/Deskthority days 
frown.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #1,310 of 2,074
I currently have a Filco tenkeyless Majestouch 2 w/brown switches. I had the same w/red switches, but it had the tenkey pad. I liked the tactile feel of the reds a little more, but tenkeyless is ideal to me, for gaming.

Oct 2, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #1,312 of 2,074
It may not be a tactile switch, but the context in which tactile is used can also mean the type of feedback that the fingers receive to let the fingers know the switch has engaged...and there are soft tactile red switches. They aren't all linear.

Oct 2, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #1,314 of 2,074
  It may not be a tactile switch, but the context in which tactile is used can also mean the type of feedback that the fingers receive to let the fingers know the switch has engaged...and there are soft tactile red switches. They aren't all linear.

I've absolutely never heard of this.  Brown is the tactile alternative to reds (using the same springs.)  Do you have a link?

Oct 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,315 of 2,074
Finally found it, but it was a page on cherry switches from deck keyboards that I read wrong. My apologies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back