Keyboard-Fi
Apr 21, 2010 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2,074

LeonWho

1000+ Head-Fier
Even though most of our time on the computer is spent typing, many of us don't truly appreciate "good keyboards" (much like "good audio"
biggrin.gif
).

So my question is: What keyboards do Head-Fi members use?

I am currently using a 1980s IBM Model M (#1391401).

Leon

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 2,074
Using an Apple wired aluminum keyboard right now. I'm usually not a fan of Apple but this is the best keyboard I've typed on. The short throws and small chiclet keys are perfect for me and the aluminum build is so much nicer than the plastic crap from Logitech I'm so used to.

Apr 21, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 2,074
i like cherry keyboards. the mechanical click click and the satisfying tactile feedback is just amazing. i use the das keyboard, but its forbiddingly expensive at $100 for a keyboard when i can buy a cheap logitech at office depot for $15 regular price.

the apple keyboards feel like theres nothing to hold back the key. i am a piano player since when i was 5 so i have very strong fingers. a light tap on the apple keys just dont cut it for me.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:01 AM Post #4 of 2,074
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Using an Apple wired aluminum keyboard right now. I'm usually not a fan of Apple but this is the best keyboard I've typed on. The short throws and small chiclet keys are perfect for me and the aluminum build is so much nicer than the plastic crap from Logitech I'm so used to.

I bought an Ergo Natural 4000 but found it too large for my desk. Also, I'm not used to pressing the B key with my left hand. The spacebar was a bit too stiff and awkward for preferences.

So I went on the other end of the spectrum and bought myself an apple keyboard. I do miss some of the buttons, mainly the print screen button, but I like typing on this keyboard.

However, I think I still like the keyboard on my ThinkPad more.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #5 of 2,074
I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II. It was great for the first month, but the keys lost a lot of their elasticity and the flimsy wrist rest annoys me to no end. The back lighting is nice, though.

Of my three "summer upgrades", which were the Eclipse II, Razer DeathAdder, and Grado SR60i, the Eclipse II is by far my least favorite. I find it mediocre at best, probably not worth its $40 price tag at the time. I love the DeathAdder, very comfortable and accurate and I don't think I can live without a pair of thumb buttons anymore. The SR60i, of course, needs no explanation since I wouldn't be posting here without it.

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 2,074
I have a few different M$ natural keyboards. It takes a bit of time to get used to the split, but not really that long. My carpal tunnel problem is gone after making the switch and I refuse to type on anything else now.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #10 of 2,074
Typing on my new ABS M1 mechanical keyboard right now. The other dedicated keyboard I have is a Saitek Eclipse II "gaming" keyboard, although it's lack of quality has been proven to me over the years. This M1 is definitely a noticeable step up in quality. It even weighs close to 4 pounds, so if a burglar ever stops by my desk while I'm working...
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #11 of 2,074
I'm the wireless apple keyboard. The thing is absolutely gorgeous!

Apr 21, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #13 of 2,074
Quote:

Originally Posted by untrueparadox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like cherry keyboards. the mechanical click click and the satisfying tactile feedback is just amazing. i use the das keyboard, but its forbiddingly expensive at $100 for a keyboard when i can buy a cheap logitech at office depot for $15 regular price.

the apple keyboards feel like theres nothing to hold back the key. i am a piano player since when i was 5 so i have very strong fingers. a light tap on the apple keys just dont cut it for me.

I'm not a light typer either but that's why I actually like the Apple keyboard. The keys provide solid feedback when I type, which I find much more satisfactory then the mushy keys I've experienced on Microsoft and Logitech keyboards. The direct, tactile feel of the Apple is just great for fast typing (Which I guess you wouldn't expect considering it's a membrane board). I'd imagine that a mechanical keyboard would accomplish the same thing but I hate the clickety clack noise they produce, and they also all tend to look like they were built in 1985.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 2,074
Super thin Logitech DiNovo here. It's got a delay when gaming though, so I'll probably switch to the HP Elite keyboard which is just as thin.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #15 of 2,074
Logitech UltraX Premium

Nothing fancy, but it get the job done.
smily_headphones1.gif

41rtVfjcFSL.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back