Keyboard-Fi
Aug 21, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #1,891 of 2,074
IMG_9993.JPG

Details:
  • Keyboard: Novelkeys NK65 v2
  • Keycaps: Novelkeys Cherry PBT White on Blac
  • Switches: Gateron yellows lubed with Krytox 205g0

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #1,894 of 2,074
Just got a Razer Huntsman Elite after fighting for years with my off-brand Chinese mechanical keyboard.

I generally thought that keyboard was fine, as I only rarely had issues like random double spaces and double Ts, but it was really wearing on me recently. That, and the clicky noise REALLY lost its novelty. It was a very loud keyboard, which was a lot of fun at first, but became very grating after three years or so.

Enter this keyboard: I opted for the linear optical switches for quiet typing, and man, am I satisfied. Obviously it's not silent, as the keys still have to bottom out, but it's a satisfying muffled sound. I'm also adapting to it very well, being able to shoot of quick bits of text, as well as sustain good speeds for a decent amount of time. The one thing I will have to get used to is how sensitive the keys are. Even gently resting my fingers on the keys causes them to activate, so I'm going to have to unlearn that, but it really shouldn't be an issue.

I'll also say, the detachable wrist rest being RGB is endlessly absurd to me. I like RGB, so no complaints, but it's almost more absurd than RGB mousepads to me.

Sep 28, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #1,895 of 2,074
Just got a Razer Huntsman Elite after fighting for years with my off-brand Chinese mechanical keyboard.

I generally thought that keyboard was fine, as I only rarely had issues like random double spaces and double Ts, but it was really wearing on me recently. That, and the clicky noise REALLY lost its novelty. It was a very loud keyboard, which was a lot of fun at first, but became very grating after three years or so.

Enter this keyboard: I opted for the linear optical switches for quiet typing, and man, am I satisfied. Obviously it's not silent, as the keys still have to bottom out, but it's a satisfying muffled sound. I'm also adapting to it very well, being able to shoot of quick bits of text, as well as sustain good speeds for a decent amount of time. The one thing I will have to get used to is how sensitive the keys are. Even gently resting my fingers on the keys causes them to activate, so I'm going to have to unlearn that, but it really shouldn't be an issue.

I'll also say, the detachable wrist rest being RGB is endlessly absurd to me. I like RGB, so no complaints, but it's almost more absurd than RGB mousepads to me.

I like tasteful RGB personally. My newest KB, unfortunately, doesn't have the best speed or brightness options. I picked up the dk61e since it's on sale.. Definitely going down the KB rabbit hole like I did with Headfi.

Now you just need to lube your switches and get the butter smooth thoccs 😂

Oct 5, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #1,896 of 2,074
I like tasteful RGB personally. My newest KB, unfortunately, doesn't have the best speed or brightness options. I picked up the dk61e since it's on sale.. Definitely going down the KB rabbit hole like I did with Headfi.

Now you just need to lube your switches and get the butter smooth thoccs 😂

It's funny: for me, it's either full-blast rainbow RGB, or none at all. Miss me with that tasteful stuff.

The more time I put on this keyboard, the more surprised I am that it's marketed as a gaming keyboard. Don't get me wrong, it's fine for gaming, I just don't think that's its strong suit. The media keys are re-programmable, but outside of that there's no big gaming features like extra macro keys or anything. This thing, to me, strikes me as being more of a typist's dream. The actuation point is so immediate that you don't even really have to bottom out the keys. It's so smooth, and so quiet, you can just plug away at it for hours without it being annoying.

$200 is a lot of money for a keyboard, and it's not even some obscure boutique brand. But it's kinda making sense to me, as I could really see myself putting years on this without any issues. I definitely don't see myself bringing the ol' clacker out of retirement.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #1,897 of 2,074
It's funny: for me, it's either full-blast rainbow RGB, or none at all. Miss me with that tasteful stuff.

The more time I put on this keyboard, the more surprised I am that it's marketed as a gaming keyboard. Don't get me wrong, it's fine for gaming, I just don't think that's its strong suit. The media keys are re-programmable, but outside of that there's no big gaming features like extra macro keys or anything. This thing, to me, strikes me as being more of a typist's dream. The actuation point is so immediate that you don't even really have to bottom out the keys. It's so smooth, and so quiet, you can just plug away at it for hours without it being annoying.

$200 is a lot of money for a keyboard, and it's not even some obscure boutique brand. But it's kinda making sense to me, as I could really see myself putting years on this without any issues. I definitely don't see myself bringing the ol' clacker out of retirement.

Man, I wish $200 was expensive for keyboards. I ordered all the parts for my "endgame" board. Let's hope..

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #1,898 of 2,074
Man, I wish $200 was expensive for keyboards. I ordered all the parts for my "endgame" board. Let's hope..

Oh, I've heard custom boards are pretty much a bottomless rabbit hole. Sorta a niche within a niche, and demanding a price to reflect that. I'd say they're not for me, but every time I think something's not for me, I usually dive in at some point. I'm happy with me plebian pre-built keeb... For now.

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #1,899 of 2,074
Oh, I've heard custom boards are pretty much a bottomless rabbit hole. Sorta a niche within a niche, and demanding a price to reflect that. I'd say they're not for me, but every time I think something's not for me, I usually dive in at some point. I'm happy with me plebian pre-built keeb... For now.

They are... So far I've been buying budget boards and pimpin' them out with as gifts or builds for friends and family.

I ordered this but it won't be shipped for at least another month. (Not a hobby for instant gratification).

The board, case, switches, stabilizers, lube, wrist rest, keycaps, and various bits and screws and sorbathane feet will run probably over $500.

I've spent way more on headphones and realized I use my keyboard WAY more. I'm sick of my wrist hurting after a long gaming session, so going to go ergo. Good news is if I hate it, I can always sell it off for more than I paid for the parts, unlike the headphone hobby.

Attachments

• kavwm8s_1024x1024_2x_d548f7f2-53b6-4cbb-8780-fce49a83a785_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    kavwm8s_1024x1024_2x_d548f7f2-53b6-4cbb-8780-fce49a83a785_1024x1024@2x.jpg
    632.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,900 of 2,074
Have been using a DasKB for years. While its very good and I like the clickty clack :) it doesnt work well with Zoom calls I am on these days.
Need a good mechanical full size or without the numpad, but as quiet as possible.
Please and thank you!

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #1,901 of 2,074
@Ash What's your budget?

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #1,902 of 2,074
No ceiling:) This is for work, will deduct as expense from taxes!
I do want clearly visible contrasting letters, no need for backlit, usb slot on KB would be useful for inserting wireless mouse dongle.

Dec 9, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #1,903 of 2,074
I would recommend a Realforce R2 PFU Limited Edition (it comes with Topre silenced switches and additional silencing mats to place under the keycaps to make the typing experience even more silent). Take good care of it and it will last you a very long time. PBT keycaps with dye-sublimated legends, so they won't wear out from use. I can't go back to any of my other mechanicals after trying this one (the switches are electrocapacitive, not truly mechanical). There is both a full-size and TKL version available. Unfortunately, no USB passthrough. It is very expensive, though.

If you absolutely need mechanical switches (like Cherry MX) then Durgod Taurus K320 with Cherry MX Silent switches is a good (and much cheaper) alternative.

Dec 17, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,905 of 2,074

Details:
  • Keyboard: Novelkeys NK65 v2
  • Keycaps: Novelkeys Cherry PBT White on Blac
  • Switches: Gateron yellows lubed with Krytox 205g0
Looks good. How do you like the keycaps?

Here is my recent keeb from Niz with ePBT GOK BOW on the Atom 68
nizgokbow3.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back