Keyboard-Fi
Jun 17, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,576 of 2,074

Cool that sounds like it might be more of a typewriter feel which is what I like.  I think I'll go with the Greens.  

EDIT: I ended up going with the company's signature scheme, like the minimalist look.

Very nice! The force must be with you in the typing skills department.  Regarding green switches...some are reporting that they think they are too stiff. Clear seems to be gaining popularity right now. Clear is a stiffer brown. Here is a list of the more popular cherry switches and their accompanying "g force". As you can see the Greens are quite a bit stiffer...

1. Blue – 50g Force – Audible Click, Tactile Bump
  2. Brown – 45g Force – Tactile Bump
  3. Red – 45g Force – Smooth/Linear
  4. Green – 80g Force – Audible Click, Tactile Bump
  5. Clear – 55g Force – Tactile Bump
  6. Black – 60g Force – Smooth, Linear

What CM says about the greens....

One of the rarest switches available, the Cherry MX Greens can best be described as Blues with a bit more resistance. Still classified as a “typist switch,” it has grown within the enthusiast community as the holy grail of Cherry MX switches. The only switch that can require a “break in period” due to the stiffer nature, they become a dream to use once your fingers have adjusted to increased weight. 

Cherry MX Greens were originally intended for the spacebar on Cherry MX Blue keyboards and were never mass produced – until now. "

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #1,577 of 2,074
Clear isn't just a stiffer brown! It's also more tactile. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer clear switches because they can put a lightweight spring similar to the weight of a brown switch into the clear switch and create a more tactile version of the brown. This is called ergo-clear and it's one of the most popular switches among keyboard enthusiasts, the second most popular switch I see is vintage lubed blacks, also with a spring swap. 

If you guys want really baller keycaps, check out GMK Dolch! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58608.0
If you're on a budget, Tai Hao keycaps are cheaper and better quality than WASD keycaps, which material-wise are the worst aftermarket keycaps you can get despite some customization options. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58110.0

Jun 19, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,578 of 2,074
Clear isn't just a stiffer brown! It's also more tactile. Most keyboard enthusiasts prefer clear switches because they can put a lightweight spring similar to the weight of a brown switch into the clear switch and create a more tactile version of the brown. This is called ergo-clear and it's one of the most popular switches among keyboard enthusiasts, the second most popular switch I see is vintage lubed blacks, also with a spring swap. 

If you guys want really baller keycaps, check out GMK Dolch! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58608.0
If you're on a budget, Tai Hao keycaps are cheaper and better quality than WASD keycaps, which material-wise are the worst aftermarket keycaps you can get despite some customization options. http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=58110.0

Awesome info...thanks!

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #1,580 of 2,074
Ok please stop posting all these keyboards that I never knew about. My payment card is getting warm and everytime I go to one of these websites and start looking at the keyboards my wife from somewhere behind me simply states, "um no!"

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,581 of 2,074

Don't go with small brands that you haven't heard of. The smallest I would go are companies like Keycool and HPE, but don't blindly buy a new keyboard because a quality keyboard is quite inexpensive.

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #1,582 of 2,074
MX Greens are my favorite switch, so much better than blue, they're great, I just realized I never sold them so that means that I'll put them in sometime soon. I also just got in something I've been waiting for for a while, color changing LEDs for my mouse, putting them in tonight, also, the anker vertical mouse is great, I just replaced all the switches to omrons I harvested from old mouses I got from my school last week, even the weird 90° ones.

Jun 19, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #1,583 of 2,074
MX Greens are my favorite switch, so much better than blue, they're great, I just realized I never sold them so that means that I'll put them in sometime soon. I also just got in something I've been waiting for for a while, color changing LEDs for my mouse, putting them in tonight, also, the anker vertical mouse is great, I just replaced all the switches to omrons I harvested from old mouses I got from my school last week, even the weird 90° ones.

I bought a Cooler Master Sentinel Advance mouse a few years ago and it's been great. Can change the color of multiple LED's in the mouse (8 colors) and pick different lighting patterns. All done through software...

Jun 20, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #1,584 of 2,074
I bought a Cooler Master Sentinel Advance mouse a few years ago and it's been great. Can change the color of multiple LED's in the mouse (8 colors) and pick different lighting patterns. All done through software...

nice. I forgot to say that my mouse is vertical, I'll post a video of it sometime late tomorrow with the LEDs, it's pretty cool, I love it, so comfy.

Jun 28, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #1,585 of 2,074
KUL ES-87 is a very drool worthy keyboard right now. I wanted a WASD V2 or V2 CODE but the KUL is really really nice. The case looks much nicer than the WASD V2 IMO and this thing is even more solid than a Filco (build quality is amazing, doesn't have creaking issues like Filcos). Also no pinging issues like the V2 or Filcos. Those unhappy w/ Cherry stabilizers should just clip them (search clipped cherry stabs).

Only other competitive TKL mechanical would be the Leopold FC750R I guess but it's hard to get Leopold mechs in the states now IIRC.

Really sad to see Filco and Leopold leave the US (The Keyboard Co imports Filcos via Amazon but those boards cost $180+). You could argue Filco TKLs are still being sold in America since the QFR is also made by Costar, I guess.

Jul 7, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #1,586 of 2,074

I'll be blunt and say that the Clears are what the Browns should've been. The former is tactile; the latter is practically linear, and I don't like linear.

Haven't tried ergo-Clears yet, but stock Clears make my fave non-buckling-spring switch thus far.

Jul 9, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #1,587 of 2,074

Very nice! The force must be with you in the typing skills department.  Regarding green switches...some are reporting that they think they are too stiff. Clear seems to be gaining popularity right now. Clear is a stiffer brown. Here is a list of the more popular cherry switches and their accompanying "g force". As you can see the Greens are quite a bit stiffer...

1. Blue – 50g Force – Audible Click, Tactile Bump
  2. Brown – 45g Force – Tactile Bump
  3. Red – 45g Force – Smooth/Linear
  4. Green – 80g Force – Audible Click, Tactile Bump
  5. Clear – 55g Force – Tactile Bump
  6. Black – 60g Force – Smooth, Linear

What CM says about the greens....

One of the rarest switches available, the Cherry MX Greens can best be described as Blues with a bit more resistance. Still classified as a “typist switch,” it has grown within the enthusiast community as the holy grail of Cherry MX switches. The only switch that can require a “break in period” due to the stiffer nature, they become a dream to use once your fingers have adjusted to increased weight. 

Cherry MX Greens were originally intended for the spacebar on Cherry MX Blue keyboards and were never mass produced – until now. "

I got my cherry green WASD today and it seriously kicks some ass.  Despite the 80g, they don't feel heavy to me.  I don't think they are heavier than typical throw-in rubber dome keyboards.  Only the shift key on this particular keyboard is slightly heavy.  Other than that, it's perfect.  Feels like a typewriter with super light keys.

Jul 9, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,588 of 2,074
I'll be blunt and say that the Clears are what the Browns should've been. The former is tactile; the latter is practically linear, and I don't like linear.

Haven't tried ergo-Clears yet, but stock Clears make my fave non-buckling-spring switch thus far.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way about Browns. I don't have a problem with linear switches, but if the switch is purportedly tactile, I expect to notice the bump.

Jul 9, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,589 of 2,074
   I got my cherry green WASD today and it seriously kicks some ass.  Despite the 80g, they don't feel heavy to me.  I don't think they are heavier than typical throw-in rubber dome keyboards.  Only the shift key on this particular keyboard is slightly heavy.  Other than that, it's perfect.  Feels like a typewriter with super light keys.

Been using my Code TKL greens KB for a few weeks now....LOVE IT. Took just a few days to get use to the stiffness of the greens but after that....pure typing bliss!

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #1,590 of 2,074
Ordered a Corsair K70 and 30 minutes they shipped it. I had changed my mind once I started to read that people have returned the damned thing 2-5 times also getting LED failures. 

I think I'm going to go with a Cooler Master keyboard (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129024) , unless anyone here can suggest me good keyboards for $129 and under. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back