Keyboard-Fi
May 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #1,546 of 2,074
If you read the reviews on that keyboard you'll see a lot of people having issue with the micro usb and it shorting. 
It's actually not a short. The issue is the solder joints breaking, which prevents a solid connection. (A short circuit is when you create an unintended, low-resistance connection between a voltage source and ground).

If you'd be willing to pay the WASD or Das price, then you could easily afford a different cable to prevent the issue from happening.

By the way, is there a reason you need Black switches and not Red ones? I kow the Reds are lighter, but they are still linear (compared to the tactile response of Blue and Brown switches).

EDIT: PS, this is where I first heard of the Rosewill issue. It's a good read to understand exactly what the issue is. The OP will still recommend the Rosewill models, just FYI.

May 21, 2014 at 10:11 AM Post #1,547 of 2,074
Going by what I know mini-usb isn't the best connection to begin with. So its not so much the cable its the physical port. I can't recall how many phones I've had that broke using micro and mini usb. So with that said there is some merit to what they have said. To me mx red switches are trash. When I've used them I thought the keyboard was broken due to the keys bottoming out all the time. With black there is a good springy feel that allows you to easily double tap without bottoming out. The tactile switches I don't like because the sound gets picked up when I'm on skype. 

By the looks of it I might have to get the rosewell and solder/2 part epoxy a custom cable onto it. 

May 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,548 of 2,074
Going by what I know mini-usb isn't the best connection to begin with. So its not so much the cable its the physical port. I can't recall how many phones I've had that broke using micro and mini usb. So with that said there is some merit to what they have said. To me mx red switches are trash. When I've used them I thought the keyboard was broken due to the keys bottoming out all the time. With black there is a good springy feel that allows you to easily double tap without bottoming out. The tactile switches I don't like because the sound gets picked up when I'm on skype. 

By the looks of it I might have to get the rosewell and solder/2 part epoxy a custom cable onto it. 
yeah a lot of people do that on filcos so if you have any trouble there's a large base of people who can help on deskthority and geekhack along with us.

May 21, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #1,549 of 2,074
  I'm trying to find what I thought was a simple keyboard but its becoming impossible to find.   Full mx cherry black keyboard with the keys all blacked out. I don't need lights, volume gauge or anything fancy. 

This is perfect minus the fact they don't offer mx black.

Edit: it doesn't even have to be blacked out. Just a full sized mx black keyboard would work. 

Hey Folex,

sorry if this has been suggested before, but what about the Steelseries 6GV2?

http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-6gv2

Simple, understated, no fancy lights and MX Blacks. They were my previous keyboard before the Das which I currently have. 
They're considered a gaming keyboard, but it's designed so that it will fit right in an office/professional environment.

However, like the das, the white lettering on the keys do fade, after use.

May 21, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #1,552 of 2,074

If you read the reviews on that keyboard you'll see a lot of people having issue with the micro usb and it shorting. 

The same applies with all other keyboards that have detachable cables. Mini USB is weak in general. I wouldn't read the newegg reviews by the way, there are very very few people that actually know what they're talking about. If you're afraid of breaking the mini usb connection, buy a mini usb male to mini usb female cable, you can connect it to your keyboard permanently so you'll connect/disconnect your cable with the female mini usb end of the cable. This means that you're putting wear on the $3 cable, instead of the connection on the keyboard.

May 30, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #1,553 of 2,074
I almost forgot this entire forum section existed, let alone this thread.

Now that I remember, I suppose this is the best place in all of Head-Fi to bring up my latest finds:

Under $4 for both of 'em, and one of them was a highly-sought-after tenkeyless Space Saver model!

I don't like how the full-size one's hard-wired with a flimsy cable instead of a sturdy, detachable SDL cable, though. It's fairly common on the '90s Lexmark-built ones, though a few still have detachable SDL cables while retaining the drainage channels, blue/silver IBM badge and single-piece keycaps.

May 30, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #1,554 of 2,074

Now that I remember, I suppose this is the best place in all of Head-Fi to bring up my latest finds:

Under $4 for both of 'em, and one of them was a highly-sought-after tenkeyless Space Saver model!

I don't like how the full-size one's hard-wired with a flimsy cable instead of a sturdy, detachable SDL cable, though. It's fairly common on the '90s Lexmark-built ones, though a few still have detachable SDL cables while retaining the drainage channels, blue/silver IBM badge and single-piece keycaps.

Wow, SOOO lucky on that Space Saver!
beerchug.gif

May 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #1,555 of 2,074

Nice. Where did you find them?

May 30, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #1,556 of 2,074
I don't even remember exactly where, but it was a local shop in Georgia and NOT a major, widespread chain like Goodwill.

Thrift stores are mostly misses, but sometimes you might get a nice old mech board or two. That's how I got another full-size Lexmark Model M (since sold) and an unpictured Model M2 that needs recapping and a spring replacement, alongside some other odd boards like a pair of BTC 5339 foam-and-foil capacitive boards, some Wang board with a great clicky feel but crappy controller that cam't keep up with my typing, and the usual Dell AT101Ws. (Those AT101W boards would see more use if the key matrix didn't fail some important key combos.)

Jun 4, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #1,558 of 2,074

Ugly?  yes but, I wouldn't use any other keyboard.  

I remember seeing those boards all over the place in the late 1990s!

If Microsoft didn't cheap out with rubber domes, I might consider one since that sculpted design was pretty nice, but for me, it's mechanical or go home.

Jun 4, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #1,559 of 2,074
Yeah, I know some guys that used to only use the Microsoft Ergonomic keyboards, then he got a mechanical keyboard and realized that there are mechanical ergonomic keyboards...You should just stick with your Microsoft keyboard 
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #1,560 of 2,074
I still adore my discontinued Logitech DiNovo Edge keyboard.  It is very thin, and has a trackpad on it, so I never use a dedicated mouse unless I need to plug in a dedicated PS/2 mouse onto a legacy mainboard if I'm repairing a client/friend's computer.  I would post the link and/or a picture of it, but I don't have the rights to do either yet.  They were very pricey at $200 new, but they can be had for a little bit cheaper now via the various e-commerce websites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back