Keyboard-Fi
May 10, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #1,531 of 2,073
I ended up not going for a tkl keyboard like originally planned but rather got the Ducky Zero DK2108 with the red switch. It's a plain looking keyboard with no real bells and whistles compared to the gaming keyboards out there. It's a pretty minimalistic keyboard that looks like an ordinary keyboard you get with a computer purchase but i think this will work out good for work. It comes with a calculator button which will be useful as I'm using that a lot. There's a lot of weight to it as it's a good amount heavier than my K70.

Either way for under $100 I can't complain too much. 

Nice.

Truthfully the gaming style keyboards waste a lot of resources on lighting modes that you try once as soon as you get it, and then never use them again. If I didn't often game in a dark room, I'd never even bother with a backlit keyboard - you usually make a sacrifice on keycaps when you go backlit.

Agree the calculator button is nice. I had to resort to AutoHotKey to do the same with my setup.

May 10, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #1,532 of 2,073
Nice.

Truthfully the gaming style keyboards waste a lot of resources on lighting modes that you try once as soon as you get it, and then never use them again. If I didn't often game in a dark room, I'd never even bother with a backlit keyboard - you usually make a sacrifice on keycaps when you go backlit.

I have a Corsair K95 that lets you configure profiles for back lighting where you can select which keys to illuminate, and the brightness of them. My default profile = all off, pointless feature.

May 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,533 of 2,073
My K70 has a button that has different intensities of the backlight where one option is off. It's usually on off but sometimes I use it an can be useful when my room light is off.

May 10, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,534 of 2,073
I like the look of backlit keyboards with thick PBT caps. Nice underglow to the board.

Something kinda like this:

May 18, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,537 of 2,073
I'm a little late to the party, but I love my CM TK Stealth. I'm fairly biased though as it is my first mech keyboard.

May 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #1,538 of 2,073
I'm trying to find what I thought was a simple keyboard but its becoming impossible to find.   Full mx cherry black keyboard with the keys all blacked out. I don't need lights, volume gauge or anything fancy. 

This is perfect minus the fact they don't offer mx black.

Edit: it doesn't even have to be blacked out. Just a full sized mx black keyboard would work. 

May 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #1,539 of 2,073
I'm trying to find what I thought was a simple keyboard but its becoming impossible to find.   Full mx cherry black keyboard with the keys all blacked out. I don't need lights, volume gauge or anything fancy. 

This is perfect minus the fact they don't offer mx black.

Edit: it doesn't even have to be blacked out. Just a full sized mx black keyboard would work. 
WASDKeyboards has options.

You might also want to check out a Rosewill model.

May 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM Post #1,541 of 2,073
The only issue I've heard of with the Rosewill is that if you abuse the micro USB port, you can break the solder joints. You could also email WASD and ask them if/when they'll get black switches back in stock.

May 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,542 of 2,073
If you want something cheap I know that Thermaltake offers MX Black keyboards for pretty cheap. I've seen them as low as $35 before so it will be a lot cheaper than buying a Das 4 or WASD keyboard, both of which aren't worth it imo.

May 21, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #1,544 of 2,073
Oh, I guess they're discontinued now. That was fast.

Anyways, you can try this Rosewill one instead, they have pretty good keyboards. You can buy blank keycaps for pretty cheap though, so don't worry about that. TKL sets will cost around $10 or so. 
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000BL/dp/B005QW1UME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400654840&sr=8-1&keywords=mx+black

May 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,545 of 2,073
  Oh, I guess they're discontinued now. That was fast.

Anyways, you can try this Rosewill one instead, they have pretty good keyboards. You can buy blank keycaps for pretty cheap though, so don't worry about that. TKL sets will cost around $10 or so. 
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-RK-9000BL/dp/B005QW1UME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400654840&sr=8-1&keywords=mx+black

If you read the reviews on that keyboard you'll see a lot of people having issue with the micro usb and it shorting. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back