Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 21, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #2,716 of 9,926
Good morning, everyone.

My Thekk at the beginning of the burning-in and after burning-in (150 h burn-in at 87-88 dB SPL of continuous pink noise).

20011510441123553816603600.jpg

20012109124023553816611195.jpg

Results of the experiment very conclusive.
I am delighted and conquered! :)

More read on the French forum, here: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=4769#p4769
and here: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=4773#p4773

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #2,717 of 9,926
Good morning, everyone.

Here's a very interesting YouTube video of the Kennerton Thekk compared to the Thror.
Very well constructed video; you can use the subtitles translated from French to English (or any other language) for comments.

For the reviewer, Pierre Paya, the Kennerton Thekk is the most beautiful achievement of the Kennerton brand to date.

Source: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=4792#p4792

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,718 of 9,926
Jan 23, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,719 of 9,926

Great review! :)

Many thanks.

The Kennerton Thekk planar headphones really deserves to be honed and refined by a process of burning-in (150 hours with pink noise at 85-90 db SPL) to give its full potential, both in the treble, more refined, more crystalline, than in the bass, cleaner, drier, deeper; the voices are magnificent, even more so than those of the Thror, without this emphasis on the 3 KHz that bothers me a bit with the Thror.

Jan 23, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #2,720 of 9,926
Hi all.

For a better understanding, 3 types of pads were used in this very complete review of the Thekk made by @fullbass (above).

The brown leather Customs pads which are delivered with his Thekk, which is a special version of the Thekk because of the very original wood used for the cups, tricolor (bog oak, Karelian birch and amaranth wood) and because of the type of leather covering the headband and the pads: here a brown leather made from the hide of a young deer (Nb: the author apologizes for this...); brown deerskin pads, with large perforations.

10415853.jpg

Spare pads, this time in glossy black leather, probably in Caucasian lambskin, also with large perforations (Nb: these are most probably the same pads used by Pierre and myself, and delivered as stock pads with our respective Thekk headphones); they can be qualified as stock pads.

10415799.jpeg

Finally, alternative pads, also in black leather, but with small perforations (most probably referenced as the ECL-02 pads) giving more bass, but also a darker, less airy and more confined sound.

10415878.jpeg

@fullbass describes very well in his review, in link below, the differences in sound brought by these three types of pads used with his Thekk: Custom pads, brown, in young deerskin, with large perforations; Stock pads in glossy black leather with also large perforations; and finally alternative pads (most probably referenced ECL-02) in black leather too, but with small perforations.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-thekk.24155/reviews#review-23193

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #2,721 of 9,926
@eric65 yes, exactly

Looks like brown ear pads are made of kidskin

The official site says:
The pads and headband are made of the finest and most delicate kidskin

Most of all I like these ear pads

Jan 23, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #2,723 of 9,926
Great to see a review of a Kennerton on the front page of Head-Fi. And what a beautiful headphone!

Indeed, great ! :)

20012308582823553816615281.jpg

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-thekk.24155/reviews#review-23193

I've just moved house, and really miss my headphone system (all boxed up). Must get them unpacked...

Andrew, you are unforgivable: it's not locked in a box that your Thekk headphones will burning-in by itself, even if you shake the box a lot when moving! :beyersmile:

Having said that, have a great move into your new house!

Enjoy your new home! The headphones will come later ... :)

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2,724 of 9,926
Hi all.

Pierre Paya wrote, in the French forum.
(after translation into English)

"Hello Eric,

Yes, good screenshot!
Thekk is going to be a success I think, at least, it deserves to be.

For me it is not only Kennerton's biggest success to date, but it is also, right after the Susvara, the best orthodynamic headphones available today."

Source: https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=4827#p4827

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #2,725 of 9,926
044CAE34-180B-44FF-8DB6-1D37B94253C9_1_105_c.jpeg 205D0DC6-6716-46D6-A580-5FB583F33DC2_1_105_c.jpeg

1. Stock ear pads (soft lambskin from a remote highland region in Northern Caucasus) - ECL-01
2. Stock ear pads for Limited Edition (the finest and most delicate kidskin)
3. Extra narrow perforated ear pads (soft lambskin from a remote highland region in Northern Caucasus) - ECL-02

Jan 24, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #2,726 of 9,926

1. Stock ear pads (soft lambskin from a remote highland region in Northern Caucasus) - ECL-01
2. Stock ear pads for Limited Edition (the finest and most delicate kidskin)
3. Extra narrow perforated ear pads (soft lambskin from a remote highland region in Northern Caucasus) - ECL-02

Thank you for these precisions, by these images speaking for themselves, for the 3 pairs of the pads tested with your Thekk. :)

Jan 25, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #2,727 of 9,926
Good morning, everyone.

I've just translated, into English, the French text made by Pierre Paya about the first YouTube video of Thekk compared to the Thror, taken as a reference headphones.

At the end of this long translation of the text of this french video (in spoiler) you will also find some comments from me about the Thekk.

" Good morning, everyone.

Today, I'm going to share with you my listening impressions on a product from the latest generation of Kennerton headphones, you know that brand made in St Petersburg, Russia that you are now familiar with.
Well this headphone is the Thekk; here is the Thekk, well, we'll listen to it together.

Here is this Thekk, with the new headband that Kennerton is putting in place on his headphones; a new system of suspension on the head, by elastic, very simple, but much more efficient (practical) than what Kennerton proposed before.
So afterwards, the aesthetics are similar to the Thror or Odin, although there are some differences, even in the machining of the wooden cups; see here, for example, with the junction of the pads there (for the cups), there is no thickness at all; it's very thin; whereas if you take the Thor, you see there's an extra thickness of wood here ; so there are small differences that make the wooden cups (of Thekk) thinner in fact.
The grid, also here, which protects the external side of the drivers (of the Thekk), is quite different (from the Thror).
The internal damping system (of the Thekk) is a little bit different from the Thror's as well.
And then the pads too; so, pads like this, externally seem to be the same (as those of the Thror), but in fact, the perforations (of the Thekk) are of a larger diameter than the perforations you can find on the Thror's pads and even the pads of the New Odin.
So, all these are small differences, which will make this Thekk sound different from other Kennerton headphones, even though it has the same drivers as the Thror: we have a honeycomb structure membrane and the frame between which the membrane is stretched is made of carbon fiber, just like on the Thror.
In terms of weight, this Thekk is very very light: 350 g against 480 g for the Thror.
The impedance is the same, 35 Ohm; so of course, for both: we have the same drivers; and the sensitivity is the same, at 100 dB / 1 mW.

Here is the system I used for this presentation of the Thekk; so as a source, and to stream Qobuz directly connected to the Internet, the Fidelio network/dac player from Liedson, then I chose the Viva 2A3 amplifier, and as a reference the Kennerton Thror headphones.

After nearly 200 recordings of Antonio Vivaldi's Four Seasons, here is the work of the red-haired priest reworked by Max Richter, and performed on the violin by Fenela Hamfrey. So as long as we accept this great difference that takes us away from the original writing, well, this album is a real treat. Here, the first part of the Winter, on the album Winter One. (music)

I listened to this music with a maximum peak level of 75 dB at 2'50.
So I perceive the first violin better centered with the Thekk than with the Thror. At the same time, this violin is a bit less biting, a bit less a bit less prickly with the Thekk as well; it's actually more elegant, more graceful, more subtle. The Thekk's treble is a little more open; I can hear it well on the introductory harpsichord.
And then something bothers me with the Thror, in fact; a little coloration in the upper midds; a kind of cardboard sound, a bit like the upper midds of the violin, well, it goes through a little cardboard cone; uh, I hadn't perceived this little coloration (of the Thror), but direct comparison with the Thekk allows me to identify it.
Continuing with the Thekk, I hear a freer sound and freed of some small resonances that I perceive in the low register with the Thror.
Well, so nothing really annoying, the comparison with a reference, here with the Thror, just makes me right, once again, that it proves its relevance.
Continuing with the Thekk, I hear a freer sound and freed of some small resonances that I perceive in the low register with the Thror.
Well, so nothing really annoying, the comparison with a reference, here with the Thror, just makes me right, once again, that it proves its relevance. But it's true that without a direct comparison, I can listen to the Thror, and I don't think that these resonances (of the Thror) are really disturbing.
In fact, in analogy with the photo, I'd say that the Thekk makes a more precise focusing on the orchestra, and that with it, the violin stands out better from the ensemble; whereas it blends more with the mass with the Thror.

An album of gypsy jazz, called GIPSY VIOLIN, and I chose the track l'Ora du Berger.
I listened to this music with a maximum peak level of 72 dB at 0'30. (music)

The violin is here centered slightly to the left, and I can see this clearly with the two headphones; but here again, it is more precisely drawn in space, for me reproduced by the Thekk. The violin, again, is more velvety, with the Thekk as well.
In fact, the direct comparison makes me hear that the Thror's treble is a bit rougher, precisely compared to the delicacy of the Thekk's, and that it's also a bit less open. I also have a better notion of rhythm with the Thekk.
So it's not a question of dynamic range, which would be less extended with the Thror; no, no, the Thror is just as dynamic as the Thekk.
This better perception of rhythm (with Thekk), I think, is due to the fact that Thekk better separates each note, each desk, and gives me a better overall reading of the whole; a better representation, in fact, of each musician's playing. I can then more easily follow the rhythm that each performer instills in his or her own instrument. For example, the double bass pizzicati are more frank with the Thekk, and the double bass is always more incisive; I can perceive the plucking of its strings more acutely.
So here are some little things that contribute, for me, to a better perception of the rhythm, quite simply (with the Thekk).
Another thing, the double bass goes a bit lower as well, and it's a bit less round with the Thekk.
On the other hand, the overall opening is the same on both headphones.

A completely splendid song from Dana Winner's album PUUR.
So PUUR means pure in Dutch; so, you see, it's easy Dutch. This song has been performed many times by various artists; we all know it; but never, in my opinion, has it been sublimated as much as by Dana Winner. In fact, well by her involvement and the quality of her singing, she immerses me in the deeply charged, deeply charged with meaning of this magnificent text. "One Moment in Time". (music)

So, I listened to this music with a maximum peak level of 81 dB at 4'35.
The first piano notes, at the very beginning, are a little less scathing with the Thekk; let's say I feel a better balance with it. The Thror gives the piano a nice sparkle, though, but I'm actually wondering if it's not a bit too much.
The voice is softer, more precise and better centered, too, by the Thekk.
So yes, it's not the strong point of the orthodynamic headphones, with their very large emissive membrane, to center the sources well, and I can see it here, with the Thror; but the Thekk still draws the contours better.
Dana Winner's voice, well, it's also freer (with the Thekk), as if free of a little veil, a kind of very light filter that takes away a bit of her presence when she's sung by the Thror, with which, by the way, she seems a bit pinched to me in fact.
Ah, and yes, the Thekk here gives me more pleasure anyway; it's neat. With it, my mind focuses on the intensity of the text carried by the beautiful melody, itself raised by the lyricism of Dana Winner; so, it's very personal, but the whole thing moves me deeply (with the Thekk), while listening to the Thror, well, I realize that I'm not diving but rather trying to understand why and to identify what's hindering my immersion. Thekk makes the work occupy the time and space that are mine at the precise moment of listening; nothing more and nothing less; I am just and simply, with it, touched.

Bob Marley and his album LEGEND.
From this album which has been remastered in high resolution 24 bit 96 KHz, I chose track 12 " Redemption Song ".
I listened to this music with a maximum peak level of 68 dB at 0'40. (music)

Here, I prefer the Thekk as well, but then definitely the Thekk.
And yes, it introduces me to Bob Marley, the musicians who accompany him (on the album), the stage on which they all perform, all in a clear and intelligible way.
The Thror disappoints me a little bit here, unfortunately, because I lose with it this beautiful painting with these characters well integrated in the atmosphere of the concert. I also lose with him a little bit of hindsight. The Thror, always, produces some resonances, as we saw, by the way, listening to Vivaldi's Winter of the Four Seasons ... and these resonances come to blur, alter the clarity and precision of the message, simply because they are superimposed on it.
The reading is cleaner and definitely more credible with the Thekk, even if, it must be said, listened to alone, the Thror would fully satisfy me, I'm sure of it.

Well, it's true that with this Thekk, we're still far from the first generation of Kennerton headphones that arrived on the French market in June 2015, with the Odin; Odin that here, the very first, the very first Odin manufactured by Kennerton; it was therefore in 2015; it was then posted on their website to present the brand, to present the product, and it doesn't even have a serial number.

So, it's true that over time the brand's engineers have evolved the products towards more rightness, more precision, and also to reduce the weight; so the new generation which is composed of the Magni, the new Odin and the Thekk, benefits from the new suspension system with this soft and less rigid headband than the one we have here (the one of the Odin) and that you all know well now.
The Thekk also benefits from the weight reduction, that's it; like the Thror in terms of weight, it's much lighter, but it has the added advantage of combining the light weight with this new headband.

So, it's true, if I consider its price which is lower than the Thror's, if I consider its comfort, clearly improved, its weight reduced, and then what it gives me to listen to; well for me, it's clear and I don't hesitate to classify it, and to say that it's the most beautiful realization, so far, of the Kennerton brand.

So of course, as you all know, I've been the importer of the Kennerton brand in France for more than 5 years now, and rest assured that in this type of video, I try to avoid as much as possible, of course, the conflict of interest, and that what you hear from me, well, in this video, justly, is the sincere transmission of my feelings.

Thank you.

If you feel like it, you can find us on our forum " Musique-O-Casque.com ".

NOTE: I would like to make a few clarifications: Pierre Paya distributes and sells all the headphones, dacs and amplifiers seen in this video.

Otherwise, Pierre Paya, systematically burn-in all the headphones he presents in his videos for 150 hours; one can believe, as one can not believe in burning-in process, but it is an important fact to specify.

Finally, Pierre Paya, in the French forum, positions the Thekk in relation to the other orthodynmic headphones he knows well (Audeze, Hifiman, Meeze, Kennerton, JPS ABYSS), for his appreciation, which of course may differ from ours, with this little sentence, but which, for me, says a lot :

Quote (Pierre Paya in the french forum):
"The Thekk is going to be a success, I think, or at least it deserves to be.

For me it is not only Kennerton's biggest success to date, but it is also, right after the Susvara, the best ortho available today. »

For my part, at the present time, with my equipment, the Thekk is the best headphones listened to from a long list of high-end headphones (in chronological order of listening : Stax SR-007 mk2; Stax 009; Audeze LCD-X, Audeze LCD-3F; Sennheiser HD-800; Kennerton Odin mk1; Odin mk2; Odin Thridi; Meze Empyrean, Audeze MX4, Focal Utopia, Focal Stellia; Kennerton Thror).

I think I'm going to live very happily with my Thekk ! :)

One last remark; you will follow it or not, according to your beliefs or even simply if you are curious or not, the Thekk, just like the Thror, "imperatively" require for me a sufficient break-in procedure (for me 150 hours of burning-in, with pink noise, at an SPL level of 87-88 dB) to free the headphones and give them their full potential. Once this burning-in (for me in this way), the Thekk goes from a charming headphones to a wonderful and superlative headphones.

Then, if you want to have better than the Thekk, for even more finesse, maybe you should consider the Hifiman Susvara, but it's not the same price, it's not the same quality of manufacturing, it's not the same degree of customization, and it's not the same amplification needs ...

20012509570823553816616862.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #2,728 of 9,926
So I unpacked my system, and the Thekk is sounding wonderful. It kind of reminds me a bit of the HiFiMan HE1000v2 that I have. Both are very airy, spacious, detailed, transparent. But the Thekk has a smoother treble, and a fuller body, better bass to my ears. And yes-- easier to drive, more unique, and feels more solidly constructed.

While I love Kennerton, and overall I love this company the most for headphones, I nonetheless still do listen to and enjoy other brands. (Like everyone else here?) For instance, I recently acquired the Quad Era-1. I like them a lot. But not quite at the same level as the Thekk.

Eric, what do you think of the Meze Empyrean?

Jan 25, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,729 of 9,926
So I unpacked my system, and the Thekk is sounding wonderful. It kind of reminds me a bit of the HiFiMan HE1000v2 that I have. Both are very airy, spacious, detailed, transparent. But the Thekk has a smoother treble, and a fuller body, better bass to my ears. And yes-- easier to drive, more unique, and feels more solidly constructed.

While I love Kennerton, and overall I love this company the most for headphones, I nonetheless still do listen to and enjoy other brands. (Like everyone else here?) For instance, I recently acquired the Quad Era-1. I like them a lot. But not quite at the same level as the Thekk.

Eric, what do you think of the Meze Empyrean?

Hi Andrew.

I listened the Meze Empyrean at Pierre's and found it very (too) typed, with predominantly bass and low-midds frequencies, a bit confused as soon as the sound message became more complex: it's great with organ and double bass, but I found it too unbalanced to be an all-rounder headphone.
Despite the Thror's few imperfections, I prefer the Thror, and even more the Thekk, which is more neutral, more just (for the tonality and timbres), clearer, more precise and defined, and also more lively, dynamic and fast.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #2,730 of 9,926
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back