Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 13, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #2,686 of 10,020
Just ordered 2 amps that I cannot wait to get to hear with my Thridi. A Trafomatic Audio Head 2 and a PrimaLuna EVO 300 Integrated. I’ll give sound impressions after a little time on each!

Jan 13, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,687 of 10,020
I got a Trafomatic Audio Head One. Served me well though got some issues now that needs to be sorted out :)

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #2,688 of 10,020
Good morning all.

Do you want the best?
Want the most expensive?
Do you want the most beautiful?

Well, visit the Australian website Nirvana Sound Located in Melbourne, Australia
"Bringing the finest audio equipment to discerning music lovers"

https://nirvanasound.com/

HP_Banner_2x1_4-WomenInChair.jpg

HP_Brand_Hero_1000x600_Abyss.jpg

HP_Brand_Hero_Kennerton_1_1000x600.jpg

Jan 14, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,689 of 10,020
Hmm, that's my room and my Headphones, red pair of Thror's. I gave Nirvana Sound permission to use the photo as I also work with them. Funny how it's made its way here. The speakers are Wilson Alexandria's which I replaced with a blue pair of V2's later.

Glad you like the room Eric65.
YT9E4491.jpeg

097.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,690 of 10,020
Hmm, that's my room and my Headphones, red pair of Thror's. I gave Nirvana Sound permission to use the photo as I also work with them. Funny how it's made its way here. The speakers are Wilson Alexandria's which I replaced with a blue pair of V2's later.

Superb installation (very impressive).
Superb headphones too ! :)

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #2,691 of 10,020

About the Nirvana Sound website, I like their comment about Kennerton planar headphones:

"Kennerton is a boutique brand of headphones designed by people who have a contagious passion for sound. Every idea, every bit of research, every action …everything is aimed at pure musical pleasure. Their planar magnetic drivers feature a unique advanced membrane technology but the craftsmanship used to create them is simply unrivalled. Kennerton use many exotic woods and hand craft them to make headphones that are objects of sheer beauty. The pride of ownership experience has resulted in a rapidly growing number of loyal owners around the world. Designed by audiophiles for audiophiles. Celebrate the revival of true Hi-Fi! "

Otherwise, about "pure musical pleasure" with high-tech Kennerton planar headphones, optimized for Pro use, initially for use in a studio (headphone optimization at the request of a studio), well, you should also listen to the Kennerton Thekk, admittedly a little less original for the presentation (look) than your superb Kennerton Thror wooden in stabilized Karelian birch (red color), but which can also be customized for the wood cups and the color of the leather of the earpads and the headband.
The sound of the Thekk is very pleasant to listen to, even more natural and pleasant than that of the Thor, by a tonal density greater than that of the Thror (more complete and full sound).
https://fischeraudio.store/products/43260838
https://kennerton.com/shop/thekk-bubinga/

Note: I had initially bought the Thekk for my wife (for an easier use of the headphones for wearing it on her head smaller than mine) for a listening to the headphones with two people, quietly, myself using the Thror.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #2,693 of 10,020
Hello isquirrel,

What is the difference in term of sound between your Wilson Audio and your Thror?

Hi, Milan.

Interesting question many people are asking.

Particularly well amplified high-end headphones (Kennerton Thror and/or JPS Abyss TC with MSB Reference Headphone Amp + MSB Dac) versus high-end speakers (Wilson Audio Alexandria X2).

My reply on the French forum while waiting, I hope, for the opinion of the main interested party, @isquirrel. :)
https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=4719#p4719

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:05 AM Post #2,694 of 10,020
My pair of Kennerton Thror's took over 800 hours to really sound their best. I still think they have more in them. The sound changed radically around the 500 hour mark. They have almost Abyss level bass, however the most interesting aspect of them is the musicality. I have not heard a Headphone with as much musicality for a long time. They put the Audeze LCD-4 & 4Z to shame. You get amazing clarity as well as a thunderous bottom end. I started using them with my valve amps (Woo 234 MKII's) with Takatsuki 300B's & 274B's as rectifier's. I changed them on to the MSB Reference HP Amp which really took them to another level.

Tomorrow my Synergistic Research Orange fuses arrive which will make a big difference. I have already tried one in my Taiko Extreme. I expected it to take some time before I I could hear a difference, but I was shocked from the moment I installed the fuse then.sat down to listen, the bass output, pitch & definition immediately improved as well as an all round improvement. Normally I steer clear of these types of mods but this was really something. I expect to be shocked again tomorrow when I do the entire system.

Hi all.

To believe or not to believe in the burn-in of planar headphones?

When in doubt, I just launched my Kennerton Thekk SN001 in a burn-in session with a non-stop pink noise session at 85 dB SPL with a transistorized amp.

Start of the burn-in: Wednesday 15/01/2020 AM.

End of burn-in ? Not yet determined...

20011501070823553816602163.jpg

Translation of the text of the pic above : DO NOT SIT DOWN; DO NOT MOVE HEADPHONES IN PROCESS OF BURN-IN BELOW.

Note: The light green-yellow pouffe is there to effectively muffle the pink noise: my blu-ray is in repeat mode of the pink noise range; the headphones are connected to the headphone jack of my small ONKYO integrated amp; the SPL volume at the mouthpiece of the Thekk's pads is around 85 dB SPL (measured at the microphone).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,695 of 10,020
Superb installation (very impressive).
Superb headphones too ! :)

Thank you for your compliment. That room took me three years in total to get right. As this is a Headphone community I will spare you all with the details, suffice to say the biggest single improvements were the removal of the fireplace on the right hand side and building extensive bass traps on both sides of the doors and up and over to include the soffit. I have posted some photos of how it was done and kept visually discreet. The glass doors were always going to be a problem and before the bass traps were installed they sucked out a major part of the bass response.

We also built 2m high by 1m wide portable absorbers/diffusers that could be moved around behind the listening position. The wall mounted absorbers/diffusers were hung on rails so they could be adjusted easily. If I had to give one piece of advice to anyone contemplating building a sound room is to make as many of the sound panels easily adjustable. The room was built in 2004 and finalised in 2007. The Wilson subs you can see here were taken out and the systems main listening source was Vinyl. This was a time before digital really came of age and TBH CD sounded awful compared to Vinyl playback. My wife and I listened every night, late into the night. The Wilson Alexandria's had the focal tweeter which was a laser point source. The best way to share the sweet-spot was to place one seat with a fold down head rest behind another identical seat.

The Electronics were all valve and rolled with the best NOS valves I could find. When the system had been playing for a few hours and was nice and warm, I spun record after record and many tears were shed due to the incredible emotion that the system delivered.

Ultimately the system was limited by the room more than anything else.

I love Headphone listening as there is no room involved. I hated/loved this room as there was barely a day that went past when I didn't change the sound panels. It was exhausting and invigorating at the same time.

Its 4.20am here so I am off to bed. Happy to answer any questions.

DSC02249.jpeg
DSC02335.jpeg
DSC02336.jpeg
DSC02337.jpeg
DSC02342.jpeg

Jan 15, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #2,696 of 10,020
Thank you for your compliment. That room took me three years in total to get right. As this is a Headphone community I will spare you all with the details, suffice to say the biggest single improvements were the removal of the fireplace on the right hand side and building extensive bass traps on both sides of the doors and up and over to include the soffit. I have posted some photos of how it was done and kept visually discreet. The glass doors were always going to be a problem and before the bass traps were installed they sucked out a major part of the bass response.

We also built 2m high by 1m wide portable absorbers/diffusers that could be moved around behind the listening position. The wall mounted absorbers/diffusers were hung on rails so they could be adjusted easily. If I had to give one piece of advice to anyone contemplating building a sound room is to make as many of the sound panels easily adjustable. The room was built in 2004 and finalised in 2007. The Wilson subs you can see here were taken out and the systems main listening source was Vinyl. This was a time before digital really came of age and TBH CD sounded awful compared to Vinyl playback. My wife and I listened every night, late into the night. The Wilson Alexandria's had the focal tweeter which was a laser point source. The best way to share the sweet-spot was to place one seat with a fold down head rest behind another identical seat.

The Electronics were all valve and rolled with the best NOS valves I could find. When the system had been playing for a few hours and was nice and warm, I spun record after record and many tears were shed due to the incredible emotion that the system delivered.

Ultimately the system was limited by the room more than anything else.

I love Headphone listening as there is no room involved. I hated/loved this room as there was barely a day that went past when I didn't change the sound panels. It was exhausting and invigorating at the same time.

Its 4.20am here so I am off to bed. Happy to answer any questions.

Thank you for your very well constructed explanations of passionate and adventurous man, which particularly touch me because I struggled a lot with my listening room to listen to my large column speakers (Pierre Etienne Léon Maestral with HP Scanspeak and Audio Technology), one moment accompanied by two subwoofers, with a 2 x 80 Watts class A tube amplification (Audiomat), before giving it up.

My listening room not being acoustically correctable, I then switched, for lack of better listening with headphones, to free myself from the room, first with Stax (007 and 009), then with Audeze (LCD3F), before moving on to Kennerton (Odin, Thror and lately Thekk) amplified by a Viva 2A3 tube amp.
My (subjective) ranking of my headphones: Thekk >= Thror > Odin > LCD3F.

The Stax are apart, but I prefer the Thror and Thekk to the 009, which I find a bit boring and artificial (too ethereal and lack of body).

Otherwise, I was intrigued by the improvements of your Thror with the time of use / important break-in (burn-in); curious of the result with my last Thekk headphones (which shares the same high-tech driver of the Thror), I'm now going to start this adventure (burn-in with a continuous pink noise at 85 dB SPL for at least 1 week ...).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,697 of 10,020
Fatality

I visited the Fischer Audio workshop today and once again enjoyed the atmosphere of creativity. What a smell there!

I also bought these incredible headphones. This is not a review, but simply first impressions. This is just the best I've ever heard! Incredible sensations of space and live sound. It seems like you can even touch sound with your fingers. I will write my full review later. I want to burn in them and add a balanced cable

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #2,698 of 10,020
Fatality

I visited the Fischer Audio workshop today and once again enjoyed the atmosphere of creativity. What a smell there!

I also bought these incredible headphones. This is not a review, but simply first impressions. This is just the best I've ever heard! Incredible sensations of space and live sound. It seems like you can even touch sound with your fingers. I will write my full review later. I want to burn in them and add a balanced cable

Congratulations! :)

This headphones is gorgeous!
And the sound is wonderful too.

Along with the Magni, the Thekk is Kennerton's greatest achievement!

Congratulations to the team! :)

PS: Good burn-in with your new Thekk.
This morning, I just put mine (my Thekk) in burn-in for a week ... In the meantime, I'm listening to the Thror.

EDIT:
Thanks for the advice https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kennerton-thekk.917880/page-3#post-15418418; I just created an artificial head for the burn-in of my Thekk : pink noise measured at 87-88 dB SPL ; let's go for 1 week ...

20011510441123553816603600.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,699 of 10,020
Hello isquirrel,

What is the difference in term of sound between your Wilson Audio and your Thror?

That's is an interesting but far reaching question. Can you narrow your question down to a more specific subject.

For example: Do you derive greater listening pleasure from your HP's or Loudspeaker system?

Jan 15, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #2,700 of 10,020
That's is an interesting but far reaching question. Can you narrow your question down to a more specific subject.

For example: Do you derive greater listening pleasure from your HP's or Loudspeaker system?

Yes of course !
I have never had the opportunity to listen to high-end speakers but I think that these two types of musical reproduction are complementary. The preference of a system is for me only subjective but I would like to know the difference in pleasure that you get from these two systems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back