Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 30, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #93 of 10,020
  lol... $2,250.00 for a company's first planar magnetic attempt...

outprices the majority of planar magnetic flagships except for the abyss and he-1k.

hope they know what they are doing.

The woodwork that looks like it came out of a junior high shop class isn't very encouraging.

Couldn't agree more.  That wood looks awful and unfinished.  The close up shots in the thread over in the Summit-Fi forum show extremely poor stitching on the headband as well.

If you're going to go greedy and try to jump on the headphone flagship bandwagon of everyone and their mother thinking they deserve four figures for the first attempt in the industry, at least try and provide a product that looks like it wasn't whipped up over the course of a few days in a garage.  This is only second in comedy to Abyss coming on the scene and having the gall to ask $5k+ for their first effort.

Also, zero information regarding a warranty on their website and that whole "Made in Russia" vibe doesn't leave a warm fuzzy feeling.

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #94 of 10,020
the appearence of an headphone appeal some repulse others...... Personnaly i am not too much  interested in style for headphone, for sure if it look beautiful to me its better but.... THE PERFORMANCE  is all .....the French mafia had listen to it compared to lcdx, hek,dharma, Abyss,  Stax 009( with a super high end amp ) and their verdict is all in all extraordinary : the Odin is one of the better headphone in the world.... Very interesting read....if you know google translator or french
smile.gif

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178592899.html#p178592899

Jul 30, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #95 of 10,020
Great review, Frederic; It was worth the wait.
Thank You

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178592899.html#p178592899

i had read this excellent et very detailed review with awe ...Perhaps my next headphone ...thank you to you and to the reviewer Frederic, best regards  ....

Jul 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #96 of 10,020
Heard back from Vladimir at Kennerton Support.  He said that the headphone is still in production and that the website is a work in progress.

When the Odin is ready to ship the website will be updated with the warranty information.  The warranty will be 3 years and they have a 14 day return policy with zero restocking.  Pretty decent.

Jul 31, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #98 of 10,020
Would be nice if someone who spoke french, would translate some of that stuff... Googletranslate stuff is annoying to read. Most of the technical stuff never translates that well...

Here is a try of translation of the Frédéric review:

« Monday July 27, at home of my friend Pierre, I have tested the amp Egoista, finally in a quiet environment, but also the Odin headphone which I must say I was particularly impressed.

Equipment used:

Source:
- DAC: 3D Lab SRC MKII Millenium
- Network Player: QAT RS3

Amplification
- Viva 845 egoista

Headphones
- The LCD-X Audeze
- The JPS Labs Abyss
- The Odin Kennerton

Features headphoness:

Audeze LCDX:

Type: open headphones
Driver: Planar magnetic
Frequency response: 5Hz - 20kHz
Impedance: 20 ohms
Sensitivity: 95dB / 1mW
Weight: 600g

JPS A / B 1266 Abyss:

Frequency response: 5 Hz to 28 KHz
Impedance: 46 ohms
Sensitivity: 85dB / 1mW
Weight: 660g

Kennerton Odin:

Frequency response: 15Hz - 50kHz
Impedance: 35 ohms
Sensitivity: 104dB / 1mW

Odin headphone:

The wait finally over, I can touch the famous headphone and I'm not disappointed.
Firstly there is virtually no plastic which makes a truly sustainable Odin helmet. Darker wood cuts on the many photos are finely worked, the headset setting is very clever and exudes solidity. The pads are really nice and perforated front.
The Odin headphone does well with less pressure than a LCDX for example. The cable also appears to have been carefully constructed (nothing to do with that of the LCDX)
Globally we are facing at a really well thought out product, with a finish clearly high-end.

Choosing among the many music used in my testing:

Benjamin Clementine: Winston Churchill's boy
Chabrier: Espana
Schindler's List

Listening; Odin comparison, LCDX / Odin, Abyss

Benjamin Clementine: Winston Churchill's boy.

Benjamin Clementine, is an English singer-songwriter
At 22, he left London to try his luck in Paris. He was spotted in 2012 while playing in the métro4,5.
His music is influenced by classical and sometimes compared to Nina Simone and Antony Hegarty4 although he owes his musical vocation Erik Satie6.
Having signed a contract with the Behind Records label, he released two singles and an album.
He sings and plays the piano for a Burberry fashion show in 2014.
He also participated in the Francofolies de La Rochelle in June 2013, Transmusicales Rennes in December 2013, as well as at Montreux Jazz Festival and the Festival of the Old Plough in July 2014.
He won the 2015 Victory music revelation scene.

My assessment begins with the LCDX then I pass rapidly over Odin, phew ... the differences are really important!
My first comment relates to the space occupied by the two headphones, on the LCDX the listener is in second row with Odin we are more fourth row.
The second point, the voice of Benjamin Clementine on Odin is a dazzling clarity, surgical precision without ever going into the game in a sterile high resolution, it is still damn right.
The headphone is not here in a technical demonstration, it only restores all the information it receives, and this is clearly listened, the headphone goes down low, with an impressive impact. On this point the LCDX appears bloated, but also untidy ; on the top of the spectrum the LCDX still is not at the party ; Odin goes higher, with a electrostatic accents.

Finally: Odin descends lower, go up higher, has more resolutions, transients are faster ; short, Audeze is literally overwhelmed by the new arrival!
For the rest, things get complicated. For our champion, for example, the mid-range of Odin is simply more resolving than the Abyss, to the point that I do not know that of a single magnetic Planar proposing such a resolution! For cons, I read some reports account that speaks of a blur of the Abyss compared to Odin. I totally disagree with this comment.
Certainly Odin has more resolution, more isolated things, but Abyss also features a high resolution, and it is certainly no blur, even in the face of Odin.
I close with the top of the spectrum; Odin again scores points, more air, more clear ; short, it puts in trouble once again the Abyss.
In conclusion, Winston Churchill's boy Benjamin Clementine, also of great artistic quality of course but also due to the actual recording, Abyss is abused, as there never was (except probably the SR 009, and yet). The voice is well emphasized, it is perfectly to prefer Odin.
Personally I choose yet the Abyss for his great image and consistency, but it does not play much more.

Chabrier: Espana :

Alexis Emmanuel Chabrier was a French Romantic composer. Although primarily known for two of his orchestral works, España and Joyeuse Marche, he composed numerous operas, piano pieces and songs. His designs, high quality, were admired by many composers as Debussy, Ravel, Satie, Richard Strauss or Stravinsky.
España was written following the Chabrier living in Spain in autumn 1882 with his wife and family; composer there was delighted by the Spanish and Andalusian music. Back in Paris, he promised the conductor Charles Lamoureux he would write a play with Spanish accents that would stand up and embrace the people in the audience! Thus he wrote this piece, inspired by the melodies, rhythms and style of this music. Although initially Chabrier mattered write for the piano, he soon realized that he was going to need the brilliance of orchestration, and used all the resources it could provide.

Comparative LCDX, Odin:

On this small masterpiece of Emmanuel Chabrier, at first listen, for me, the Audeze "no seem here overwhelmed" as Winston Churchill's boy Benjamin Clementine. The more frontal and thunderous approach blurs the tracks; However, a closer listen, without repeating the song ten times, shows a clear qualitative advantage in favor of Odin. The instruments are sharper, more identifiable in their placement in space, but also their timbre, dynamic changes, sharp transient, impress. Again he reminds me of my SR 009 with more weight, what is really not easy, to play in the field of electrostatic.
Well I stop there as the headphone is not playing in the same category.

Compare Abyss, Odin:

Two giants on the track in a fight to death. This time, the great specialization of the Abyss serves more than "Winston Churchill's boy" ; the orchestral mass takes a greater dimension on the flagship JPS, the instruments are collected on Odin, but amazing readability, and do not give the feeling of listening in her bathroom, as many headphones are on orchestral.
Both headphones are very fast, but Odin seems more on lightness but with the proper density to Planar, the result is surprising.
Overall I lean more about the Abyss for the opening, his bombastic performance.
But as Odin astonishes me, a man's name, these headphones not kidding !!

The Schindle list "Remembrances" BO John Williams:

John Williams is a composer, conductor and American pianist. He is best known for his film scores. He was responsible for the renewal of symphonic soundtracks with what remains of his most famous work: the music of the Star Wars saga. Resident composer Steven Spielberg and George Lucas, Williams has composed over a career spanning nearly sixty years, many of the most famous film scores in Hollywood history. I chose the fabulous passage of title "Remembrances" with Itzhak Perlman.

Comparative LCDX Odin:

Listening and again listening, always the same observation, the LCDX do not follow ; the archer Itzhak Perlman worked wonders on Odin, this sounds pure, clear, devoid of the slightest roughness, I really the feeling of being closer to the truth with Odin where the LCDX seems pasty without this breath of life brings Odin.
Need we say more? except that the LCDX can not much more; Odin is simply on another level.

Compare Abyss, Odin :

This time the confrontation turns more in favor of the Odin. Abyss on the violin seems a little too far, the mid-range loses some of its consistency especially in direct opposition to the Odin. The diabolical precision Kennerton brings a surprising proximity to the provision of Itzhak Perlman, the slightest inflection, changes in the dynamics Odin transcribed. So I will not use the term too often usual "I rediscovered my music" but that all the emotion has seemed more intense than ordinary to me.
Finally on the highest note of the violin, I never felt the slightest hardness. This remains fluid as would an electrostatic. A sensory and emotional experience that does not leave unscathed.

CONCLUSION:

As a preamble to my conclusion, I thank Peter for his hospitality but also for allowing me to test this equipment outside the norm.

A word about the amp Viva Egoista 845. We were him and me to our third meeting this time in quiet conditions. What can I say, except that I miss superlatives, it is simply the best amp I've ever tested. It combines precision, resolution power with ease. It drive the difficult Planar headphones without any concession and pushes Abyss into its retrenchments, showing us the extent of his abilities. The result blew me away !!

For our "Match" LCD X; Odin; Abyss, there were real surprises.

The opposition: LCD X - Odin, the confrontation was cut short. But let us be clear, the Audeze is absolutely not a bad headphone, quite the contrary. He is one of the best. However Kennerton is a different "species", that of the exceptional headphones. The Odin opens more, offers low spectrum with density, vivid, nuanced ; that of LCDX, by comparison, appears more confused with admittedly a little more bass (because has its frontal approach) but less nuanced ; the sub-bass appears with far more sharpness on the Odin. The midrange, like the treble, are extremely readable, and yet, never no hardness touches is hear.
Overall, Odin manages to surpass its competitor on "all" the domains !!

Facing at the "monster" Abyss, the game tightens.
The JPS Abyss has for it, his consistent image, large, with a staging of remarkable sound levels, and a powerful bass, to the dizzying descent; for Odin, a mid-range clear and precise, pure, disturbing realism, and treble near an electrostatic headphones in its vividness
Both headphones are fast ; the Abyss plays more on the side "raw power", more "animal" ; Odin has more "lightness" to the image of an electrostatic with more weight.
In my case I prefer the Abyss.
Its strong points are important in my tracks; however, the Odin with its current price, has no competitor, and I can fully understand that we choose the Odin on Abyss.

The guys at Kennerton have done a remarkable job, with a flawless finish to the product but also the acoustic performance of a very high level; congratulation !!

For my part, I place Odin alongside the Abyss and SR 009, and I confess that I plan seriously to separate me from my loved Stax 009, Odin impressed me so much ; is tell you !!!!

Comparison with other headphones, released recently :

My comments are not based on direct comparisons, are therefore to be taken very cautiously.

Kennerton Odin vs HifiMan HE 1000

Features HifiMan HE 1000
Frequency response: 8 Hz - 65kHz
Impedance: 35 ohms
Sensitivity: 90dB / 1mW

The hifiMan HE-1000 made the Buzz for some time, especially on forums across the Atlantic, and of course, I was waiting with "firm foothold". Some of you also know my views on this headphone that I've tested recently.
Facing the supposed "challenger", the Chinese headphone does not pass the first round.
The Odin has more resolution, more consistent picture, I find also faster in transient.
With the Odin we really are a step ahead.
Finally the headphone trim level is quite different, although I appreciate the retro side, the art deco Hifiman, finish leaves much to be desired too, where Kennerton built a headphone with very very little plastic, and really finish fly high.

Kennerton Odin vs ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000

Features: ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000
Frequency response: 15Hz - 50kHz
Impedance: 26 ohms
Sensitivity: 95dB / 1mW
Weight: 380g

The Dharma ENIGMAcoustics D1000 was one of the surprises of the 2015 Munich High End.
The technology used is an electret / dynamic. Dharma uses a small strip of Teflon material for the diaphragm of a high frequency transducer. The diaphragm is self-biasing, which eliminates the need for a high voltage electrostatic polarization headphones, the low and the midrange are reproduced by an electrodynamic transducer, technology strongly recalls the mythical AKG K 340.
On a remote confrontation, Dharma defended quite well, its specialization really impressed me.
On this point it seems to do better than Odin. However it lacks the consistency of the latter. The resolution remains the preserve of Odin. Finally, despite its high frequency transducer, Dharma did not seem to do better than Odin. Of course, a closer examination will confirm or invalidate my feelings.
I finished on finishing rather plain Dharma D1000 without reaching the Odin build quality.

Kennerton Odin vs Pioneer SE Master 1

Features: Pioneer SE Master 1
Transducer electrodynamics
Frequency response: 5 Hz to 85 kHz
Impedance: 45 ohms
Sensitivity: 94dB / 1mW
Weight: 460g

Pioneer makes his first headphone a fine performance. Everything has been designed from A to Z.
For example, the aluminum diaphragm 25 microns thick coated with a ceramic coating. The building also has not been neglected with extremely comfortable leather pads and a beautiful finish, Headband offers via two adjusting rods, a strong or medium Clamping. Overall the headphone offers a nice finish.
Despite the Pioneer seems more fragile than Odin.
In terms of sound quality, and some have also pointed out before me, there is a certain kinship with the HD 800. The headphone offers a high resolution but not the "natural" of Odin.
The midrange does not have this fluidity of the Kennerton Odin which on this point really has no competitor. Another note, tiering of sound plans, including on the Symphony, seemed more consistent on the Odin.
Not too want to go (I have the pioneer only since yesterday and I keep it until Friday) the tariff would be closest to the HD 800 it would make it more attractive.

Clearly, Odin scores points over its competitors! »

Original review (in french) by superfred21 (link : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178592899.html#p178592899)

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #99 of 10,020
Couldn't agree more. That wood looks awful and unfinished. The close up shots in the thread over in the Summit-Fi forum show extremely poor stitching on the headband as well.

If you're going to go greedy and try to jump on the headphone flagship bandwagon of everyone and their mother thinking they deserve four figures for the first attempt in the industry, at least try and provide a product that looks like it wasn't whipped up over the course of a few days in a garage. This is only second in comedy to Abyss coming on the scene and having the gall to ask $5k+ for their first effort.

Also, zero information regarding a warranty on their website and that whole "Made in Russia" vibe doesn't leave a warm fuzzy feeling.

About warranty

Link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178593279.html#p178593279

About the new Kennerton Planar Odin, if you do not read French, you can try to read my translation of the review of the Odin headphone wrote by Superfred21, an independent amateur, passionate of headphones and technique.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/775546/kennerton-odin-the-revelation/15#post_11802452

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #101 of 10,020
Here is a try of translation of the Dub review (first episod)

« Kennerton, everyone knows, made mention of its products in various forums for headphones very upscale - for good or bad, whatever, but it cause it cause and parrot add Zazie in the Metro " that is all it can do! "... For my part, seeing the results that can be achieved with planars, it's been a while that I'm interested (since the release of the Yamaha HP-1 to be honest). So when Pierre Paya proposed this headphone in test, I enrolled on the list ; with his usual kindness and his tireless availability, Pierre agreed to send me by mail for testing. This point must be emphasized because the number of pro for headphone who agree to spend time on our favorite forums, discuss headphone, but also their prices, and, in addition, lend equipment (and without deposit!) is not very high. To my knowledge, however, they are the number 1... so big thank you!

A massive amplification armory

A few words to begin on equipment I use.

For the source, this is easy: a mac (with Pure Music / iTunes coupling player) connected to a USB DAC Wyre4Sound DAC2 (simple version: https://wyred4sound.com/products/dacs/dac-2- series).
The DAC is connected:
- In XLR, to XLR inputs of a Little Dot VI + (http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopi ... 2fc85ce0e7) - purchased from Audiophonics matters LD (the "before price") - as well as 'XLR inputs of a Musical Fidelity A1 FPB-preamp (http://www.audioadvisor.com/pdf/MFA1PRE.pdf)
- In RCA, on one of the inputs of a preamp / amp Audio-GD Phoenix headphones (http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneam enixEN.htm ...)
What already makes me two tubes opportunities vs. transistor (amp) to listen to music (or watch movies) via headphones. In both options are added:
- RCA variable output of Musical Fidelity is connected to one input (by passing amp section) of Audio Innovation SE500: it allows me via the adapter from AKG amplify (alternatively with LD) my AKG K1000
- output fixed RCA of the same Musical Fidelity is connected to my RKV diy, which can accept any of my headphones.
- The preamp output is connected in my Phoenix RCA on a pair of blocks Dynavox VR80E (http://www.vincent-audio.com/ampli-mono ... 0-noir.php) which allows me via adapter at Ergo, amplify my AMT and, through its energizer, amplify my electrostatic Float PS-II.

….

So when Little Dot is hot, I plugged the Odin (jack plug because there is no XLR cable supplied with 4 points Odin but "only" a cable 3 points and two XLR jack and my LD has no dual XLR 3-pin connector) and I listened to (in order, but entirely with a pause between each disk, just to take notes and to do other things) and without making comparison with anything: Brothers in Arms, the penultimate album, if not the last, Dire Straits, the complete concertos for viola da gamba by Vivaldi Savall, Symphony Torn Luc Ferrari (not found ), Haydn Quartets by the Quartet Italiano (including the quartet "The Lark"), the Makrokomos George Crumb and, last but not least Kind of Blue by Miles Davis ...

First observation: it's actually a very easy headphone to amplify and it will not be necessary to give the big guns to make him sing the" Marseillaise" (french anthem) . I can, at maximum, turn up the volume, say, 8:30 / 8:45, and it must begin at 8:15 in the morning to listen to moderate level - where, usually, there is at least 9.30 to my knob (HE-6 or HD800), or even past noon in some desperate cases (K1000 or AMT). Second observation: it is an absolutely great headphone, with which everything passes and which will disappear in a few seconds, leaving me to listen to music without anything catches my attention.

Some will say that this is the least we can do ... Possible, but to my knowledge, this is actually quite rare. In almost all cases, we always hear a little something which saddens - even if one can get used to it...

The (very) strong points of listening are first proposed the return of tones (timbre) in the mid / high - what, since I lack originality, I attach the greatest importance! From this point of view, it is extremely successful: neither dullness (as found on a lot of ortho, Abyss included) or aggressively, or sibillances pop sheen that would make a piano (Crumb) or violin (Haydn and Savall) or too dull, or too "céline dionisés" to be listenable!

I sacrifice the important issue nowadays: then, that he descends into the deep bass or not? From that side, it makes me think of the Abyss: Dire Straits bass is reproduced correctly and it does "add" not on the string quartet by transforming the cello in double bass ; instead, the readability of the cello or viola da gamba (IMHO even more difficult to reproduce) seems to be exceptional. I will have to compare with the HD800 and with the HE6, possibly in mode "homecinema" to hear what he's capable of.

But more than the Abyss or the HD800, it is the HE6 it makes me think about a second point, for the restitution of the all and the type of proposed stereo image.
For the restitution of the all or the overall listening, the Odin headphone makes me think the HE6 and perhaps (memory) Chroma MD2. In other words, it is very balanced, but the stereo is set back compared to what give K1000, a Float or AMT. This does not mean that it is bad but it gives a very frontal image, even a little "back" (especially Savall): in memory, I think the Abyss did better on this point. From memory, but it'll have to check by direct comparison, it is possible that the HD800 (despite its somewhat artificial presentation) do a little better on that ... Nothing insurmountable, however (or hated him who evil thinks!): it's not a headphone that injects her in each taken separately ears leaving the listener to imagine démerder stereo!
The foundation in the bass and the overall balance, spending a few seconds, lets get used quickly and enjoy music without worry. From this point of view, I come back, the point that jumped the ears, is the total absence of dullness (not that wrong to have orthos) and some headphones compensate by adding a brightness peak in the treble to produce a somewhat misleading transparency effect. Here, that's not the case at all, and just for that, I put it directly among the best ortho that I know.

That's all folks, untill next episode! »

Original review (in french) by Dub (first episode) (link : http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178594320.html#p178594320)

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #102 of 10,020
thank you to the translator and the reviewer......very interesting competition in orthos world with this Odin.....
atsmile.gif
Perhaps we live in the end of time ( for dynamic headphones)
popcorn.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #103 of 10,020
Eric, thanks for your translations of French articles and keeping the thread here :) I just read through French threads and saw you tried to disassemble the 'phone. Well, we can do it for ya, its no secret.

Damping is not clearly shown, but you can see a hint of it under the grill. I can say its not felt, nor foam, but similar.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #104 of 10,020
I would like to hear a comparaison ODIN v/s HE1000. :smiley:

Aug 3, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #105 of 10,020
Here is a try of translation of the Dub review (second episod)

« Part.II

ODE TO ODIN

Kennerton Odin vs. AKG K1000:

It's a comparison that probably did not make much sense, as the two headphones are different, but I wanted to do to assess the ability to image of Odin. Comparison difficult due to the sensitivity difference of the two headphones and the need to listen to volume if not identical, at least comparable: 30 db of difference is huge! But poorly amplified, the AKG K1000 gives her a little thin sound, lifeless and body: Needless to say, it is very easy to propose a listening missed with these headphones, but the opposite is not so easy ... And, besides it isn't plug and play: you have to get used to adjust the spacing of the atria (which varies from person to person) - as it plays not only on the image but also on the balance of the response. Basically : more ear-flap departs (from the K1000), more we have image, but less we have the bass, then the low-midrange, etc. - And vice versa.
On the other hand, the K1000 is sensitive to outside: if we calle the head on a chair back mode sprawled like a pig (or worse: on a pillow), it breaks the image and overall balance. From that side, Odin's much easier to be set (although it should take the time) and much less sensitive to outside (in comparison of many open headphones). Just do the test by hand (reconcile them (the hand) to the outer foil until seal the outer foil) on a HE6 or K1000, the effect is massive (and destructive); on a HD800, the effect is average; on Odin the effect is minimal. Okay, I feel that I miss everyone, but it is your fault also: you had to skip the paragraph !

For this comparison, I chose the track 1 album Amused to Death by Roger Waters, 1992 album coming out in different formats: I select the file 24/192 bought recently on qobuz (http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/amused... 6445238389).
With the K1000, dog barking comes well 'from the outside': less far than with my speakers-but a small exterior located somewhere behind the head. The voice heard just after is clearly located behind the left shoulder, as on my speakers, lower height doubtless but still. With a pair of speakers, well settled, the Q Sound effect is very marked: means the voice coming from behind to the left and when, like me, was his stereo system in a 5.1 system, turn the head by asking whether the surround are broadcast something - and then suddenly means voice come... the left speaker! So it, that is, with aeration of the message ; it is the strong point of the k1000, which is almost never on another headphones, or found in some cases: AMT, Float, and Abyss, - more or less pronounced, but never as successful, and this besides other «side effects» (AMT, given ultra low impedance – between 3 and 4 Ohms - requires an effort of amplification delivered; the Float does not infinitely descend in the bass; etc.). In exchange of, you expect, with the K1000, to hear very powerful bass!
With Odin, (Roger Waters) dog that barks just comes only "Nowhere" inside the head: rigging Q Sound, which is, if I have understood, to register certain ranges of sound out of phase with the rest, is present, but instead cause the illusion of sound coming from another place, here it is just impossible to locate. Similarly, the voice does not come from behind (left) shoulder, but only in a manner more supported "aside".
The "flattening" of the image is very clear, as present as with the HE6: IMHO, it is without appeal. Provided good understanding that I am not trying to "denounce a defect": all headphones cause this type of reduction of 3D to 2D, by reversing the depth front/rear, lateralization left/right + difference in volume between the sounds (low = far ; strong = closer)... All or almost...
For everything else on the other hand, the Odin is amazing transparency and precision: the detail of this 'soundtrack' (because it is one!) jumps to the ears, what is not obvious having regard to the type of music. It's going to tiny to very low, almost inaudible detail on some headphones, except to turn up the volume and get a fright when it instruments, bass or guitar, come into action, to the message of great magnitude. Roger Waters, who has always loved this kind of facilities (see Allan's psychedelic breakfast, the music of The Body, the mythical concert "The Man and the Journey" or same "Time and Money" in DSOTM) is given on "Amused to Death".
From this point of view, the lack of isolation of the K1000 is a big handicap: it must have a very quiet environment (to go fast: therefore do not live in the city or listen to at night!). Odin achieve IMHO a tour de force of the size of the Abyss, which is to "arise" all details even at very low volume: and for an open-face headphone, it is it seems exceptional. What forgive him the restriction of the image.

Sennheiser HD 800 vs. Kennerton Odin: width against the softness

Two remarks before these comparisons. The first is that my HD800 well must a thousand hours of break-in on the counter, and that I'm using (in descending order): mainly for playing film and DVD movies, including DVDs of concerts, to listen to classical music (not the Quartet but the Symphony, seeking a bit of seat in bass and space) - and to listen to 'everything' on my Audio - GD Phoenix when I did not want to heat the tube) (the Phoenix attenuated a little shiny side, ditto my RKV retube Siemens).

The second is the list of songs from which I made systematic comparisons:

(1) Jeff "Tain" Watts: Sigmund extreme, DeTAINed At The Blue Note, track 4 album(CD Half Note Records 2004, re-released in 2007):
http://www.Amazon.fr/detained-Blue-Note... + blue + note

(2) David Gilmour, Fat Old Sun, album Live in Gdansk CD2, track 3 (CD EMI/Columbia,2008):
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-FR/album/live-i... 9924261456

(3) Serge Gainsbourg, Sorry Angel, album Love on The Beat, range 2, (the CD wasreleased at Philips in 84)
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-FR/album/love-o... 3145486112

(4) Jordi Savall, 1. Folia: Rodrigo Martinez, 1490 - Improvisation, Album La Folia -1490-1701, range 1, CD/SACD Alia Vox 1998:
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-FR/album/1490-1... 9410080262

(5) George Gershwin, piano Concerto in f, third movement, album Rhapsody in Blue;Piano Concerto in F; An American in Paris (André Previn, branch and the piano, and the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra), CD Philips 1990
http://www.qobuz.com/fr-FR/album/gershw... 2894783355
http://www.Amazon.com/Gershwin-Rhapsody... B0000040WS

(1) Sorry Angel

With Odin, the bass line is transcribed exceptionally and percussion that accompany it. There is neither brightness nor fading on the guitar that accompanies the piece. The voice of Gainsbourg has a lot of grain: we hear of sibilants and dental, slightly accented, but I've always heard the piece with these features. It is IMHO an excellent piece to adjust the height of the ear-flap and the pressure of rollbars on the Odin: in particular clearly hear, the more or less, impact on the bass by increasing or decreasing the pressure of the ear-flap, and is thus a compromise between pressure and comfort!
The HD800, on the other hand, does not necessarily give the impression of go down less bottom, but only to give less impact and magnitude in the registry of the bass. The bass and the drums seem smaller. Of course, listened to himself, the Sennheiser HD-800 already gives very respectable results in this registry (the bass) (there are quite a lot of headphones, in this tariff or above which are far from doing the same). General equilibrium seems brighter: it can give the impression of "more transparency" (illusion typical IMHO), but it can also be more tiring in the long run, as any coloration. In addition it brings voices closer acute (backing vocals) to the detriment perhaps the main voice, that of Gainsbourg. The sibilant, dental etc. are much more marked and the voice loses a bit of its grain.
Again, keep the measure: the sibilants are in the music record, so the headphone reproduced... Simply, the HD800, without going so far as to bleeding ears and pissing razors, as some headphones of my knowledge (I say that, I will still receive threats having to listen to Céline Dion!), gives a listen more "sharp" , where Odin offers a listen for more "creamy". Question of tastes and personal preferences also, no doubt.
On the other hand, the soundstage wider and wider the Sennheiser can seduce (cf. to 2 mn / 2'10 guitars and echo box fill a larger space). Further - as this will be said - that I find the comfort of the best HD800, for the weight and pressure of the rollbar (wait, you irritated, OK you just ordered you the Odin: I have not said that it was a medieval instrument of the Head Crusher kind)...

(2) fat Old Sun

With the HD800, on this record, I hear more sibilant, or excessive flicker. The placement of the various instruments (verifiable on the DVD video version!) is not poorly rendered. The entrance of battery, followed by the guitar solo, to 3'17, still the same provides enthusiasm. The bass line remains relatively readable effortlessly throughout the piece. Big advantage, it seems: the magnitude of the stereo scene fits nicely in the live concert (perfect for viewing the DVD on the big screen).
With Odin, the voice seems better defined and more fluid and - in retrospect, I realize that with the HD800, some sibilance are more accentuated, that is not heard with Odin, without yet that it offers any dullness or loss of definition whatsoever. If the Odin is "in the true" towards the HD800, which seems to be the case, given what I hear with other headphones such as the K1000 and the Float, the quality of microphones used in 2006 by Gilmour is much better than the studio used by Gainsbourg Microphones in 1984. The same passage, to 3'17, seems to be better reproduced: readability bass and percussion, with of course a 'narrower' side, less 'symphonic rock' with the HD800, but without falling into the ridiculous. However, between the two headphones, it will have to choose between two types of plays; each with its advantages, and without being able to combine the two...

(3) Jordi Savall

This piece of Savall is one of those who are the most 'useful' in my ear: first because I really love Savall, then because I've never missed the opportunity to go listen to it. Basically, I need to pass this piece to find out if I do not like this or that system, whether it's headphones or speakers (in the other direction, it is of course much less obvious: it does not allow me to know directly if it is what I prefer).
With Odin,if I am looking for a small defect, small percussion that begins the piece comes from the right and its reverberation is rather in the Middle; It is only more low and further. Similarly, the viol comes from the left, and it is only more strong and further. Compared to the pair of 3D effect, geometry is radically different and instruments are a little all on the same relatively small lateral plane. Without yet to mix with each other (that me be not to say what I did not say or I scream!): simply more or less strong according to their distance in depth. Compared with what can be heard in the concert (where one hears in all ways 'less good' on disk, and obviously, as the headphone!), it is somewhat artificial, say, even if the stereo differentiation is already excellent. In absolute terms, it lacks a bit of depth - and it is quite possible (from memory) that the Abyss is better on this point (but at what price)... Big strong point however, the realism of the tone (timbre), the aeration and the transparency of the whole: bunch of qualities that makes that a little artificial proximity effect causes no nuisance or distance from music; One can let oneself overtake by music, quite simply, because it is very beautiful...
With the HD800, small percussion of entry comes more than somewhere on the side of my right eye, while the Viola is lower to the level of my left ear. It is just as artificial, insofar as it replaces virtually depth by a sort of height, and for my part, I shall not speak of 3D with the Sennheiser. Remains that the lateralization is wider which gives a little more breathing across the message. The small over-definition in the high-midrange of the HD800 - that is very clear in comparison with the Odin, but also to other headphones - emphasizes a sort of "Cathedral effect ". However,. It is possible - I'm not sure whatever I have redone three times - compare that with the HD800 instruments are somewhat less well separated, or to better separate from each other. On the restitution of the tone (timbre), on the other hand, it is more evident; the HD800 seems less good for me: the Viola is too "dry" compared to what I remember at concerts, it lacks a bit of body compared to what offers the Odin. Either way, it is IMHO a unique character of the HD800: I'd be the same thinking if I am appearing with Float PS - II or Ergo AMP, who are better than him, except that they are much less seat for the bass. The HD800, in short, to give a more "chiseled" listen, and can love; for my part, next to the Odin, that I prefer, the HD-800 spoil me a little my pleasure (reason for which I use more often the Float for this type of music).

(4) Gershwin - connect me this!

It seems to me that, on the side of classical music, it is on this type of pieces, or on Symphonies by Mahler, Shostakovich, Bruckner, etc., that the HD800 reveals best capabilities, both through a foundation already Honourable bass, and by its linearity in the medium (midrange). Certainly, some instruments, the xylophone in percussion, or the piccolo are for my taste too supported. And yet, the piccolo can IMHO be regarded in itself as a weapon of war because we do not play, we défouraille (I have a professional musician friend who plays: it happens to play at table when it finds the conversation particularly silly, it gives me every time want to grind it!). But overall, this emphasis also gives an impression of excessive proximity: the cymbals and the piccolo have air at the same distance... Similarly, the piano seems not too bad, but both too close and missing a bit of body: I have heard this song that I know very well sound better than that. It's a bit as if they attended the concert in the top ranks and a somewhat dry room.
With Odin, the softening effect - and I did not say fading! -helping stamps, are mostly middle or back of room close to the instruments. Paradoxically, it gives a narrower but more credible image of the concert with the HD800. The piano seems to be much more fluid and less hammering with the HD800: therefore, if desired, more realistic. Because, unless you imagine that Previn played a pan instead of a piano, and that Odin rounds the corners, it actually has a better rendered piano. However I do not think that it is the piano or the sound recording that is in question: because the string section, on the other hand, plays well "as the concert. Another point fort seems to me the impact here that all instruments offer, not only in the grave, but in all registers: whether it's the cymbals (cf. to 5') or xylophone. It is not stronger or more stressed, but sharper, with more frank and never aggressive note attacks, what really reminds me what is meant in the concert. In absolute terms therefore, could wish a better spatial, but all is so good overall, that we forget about this point: on this type of piece, the Odin goes far ahead the HD800, to my opinion. - that, I would have not bet at the beginning.

(5) Jeff "Tain" Watts

With Odin, the attack of the double bass is really surprising. There, for once, the proximity effect generated by the type of spatialization of this helmet goes as a letter in the mail! That one who is never went in a jazz club where it is always more or less the mess (when it is a bit far, one can sometimes hear twice the same instrument: once from the stage and another to a HP which rebroadcasts in the room), perhaps does not measure the difficulty to reproduce the atmosphere of a live without that everything blends in an indigestible sauce. Jazz, it is the interest, it listens not 'religiously' - Conversely, it is not easy to reproduce: normal you tell me for a music based on impro... In short, the Odin is doing really well. Compared to the K1000, lacks sense of aeration and transparency which really gives the impression to be there, but it is offset by a capacity of resolution and restitution of the details that proximity effect added, gives an excellent synergy on this record type. Added to the General softness of the tone (timbre), which saw never to fade, it gives very hot "winds" (trumpets, saxophones), with no loss of detail: the perceived - what is minimal with this album - are extremely readable.
With the HD800, the direct comparison, coming from the Odin is a bit cruel! In itself, it is obviously not bad, but the "Cathedral" effect over a little shiny side of the high medium / acute makes the whole a bit sanitized or artificial... Thus, for example, percussion are this time too underlined and too cut: 'means well everything', but in separate and that lack of binder. Similarly, if the atmosphere is well rendered, I find the guitar (this is David Gilmour which was passing!) less beautiful than what it should be and the (especially saxophone tenor Marcus Strickland) saxophone less warm than with Odin. Of course, I wasn't in the room of the Blue Note in February 2004, you tell me: what I would tell you that it is not prohibited to dreaming...
Good going, it goes like this: I bent the saplings and I'll... listen to music! »

(Nb: next comparison, by Dub: Odin Vs. HE-6 ; and, in a few days (upon receipt of the headphone loaned): Odin Vs. LCD-X)

Original review (in french) by Dub (second episode) (link: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178595537.html#p178595537)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back