Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 15, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,701 of 10,020
Fatality

I visited the Fischer Audio workshop today and once again enjoyed the atmosphere of creativity. What a smell there!

I also bought these incredible headphones. This is not a review, but simply first impressions. This is just the best I've ever heard! Incredible sensations of space and live sound. It seems like you can even touch sound with your fingers. I will write my full review later. I want to burn in them and add a balanced cable

Congratulations!! I have been on the fence and it is good to see more Thekks in the wild.

Jan 15, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #2,702 of 10,020
Congratulations!! I have been on the fence and it is good to see more Thekks in the wild.

Yeah, thank you

They are #19. At least 19 individuals live somewhere :)

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #2,704 of 10,020
The Wilson loudspeakers are pretty incredible. I spent some time listening to their MAXX set (if I recall), and the sound was just effortless. I've never heard a grand piano like that before, or since.

A beautiful system and room you have!

As much as I love headphone listening, I don't expect any headphone to really compete with top of the line loudspeakers/system and a thoroughly treated/thought out room like that. Not quite.

Jan 16, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #2,705 of 10,020
The Wilson loudspeakers are pretty incredible. I spent some time listening to their MAXX set (if I recall), and the sound was just effortless. I've never heard a grand piano like that before, or since.

A beautiful system and room you have!

As much as I love headphone listening, I don't expect any headphone to really compete with top of the line loudspeakers/system and a thoroughly treated/thought out room like that. Not quite.

I agree.

For the speed of the headphones, the sound resolution and the cleanness of the sound message, I think the Thror has a few assets, but concerning the pure and hard dynamics, the impact and the viscerality of the sound, as well as the (holographic) sound image, well I'm a bit afraid that any headphones (including the Abyss) are located very far behind these impressive loudspeakers Wilson Audio Alexandria X2 ...

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #2,706 of 10,020
Fatality

I visited the Fischer Audio workshop today and once again enjoyed the atmosphere of creativity. What a smell there!

I also bought these incredible headphones. This is not a review, but simply first impressions. This is just the best I've ever heard! Incredible sensations of space and live sound. It seems like you can even touch sound with your fingers. I will write my full review later. I want to burn in them and add a balanced cable

Hi.

When you went to visit the Fischer Audio workshop in St Petersburg before buying your Kennerton Thekk "Tricolor" headphones, did you compare it to other Kennerton headphones?

Otherwise, when you said that the Thekk is your best headphones that you've listened to so far; what other references did you think of?

Thank you in advance for your feedback. :)

Jan 17, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,707 of 10,020
When you went to visit the Fischer Audio workshop in St Petersburg before buying your Kennerton Thekk "Tricolor" headphones, did you compare it to other Kennerton headphones?

Hello,

Yes, I have compared with Odin, Thridi, Vali, Thror. So I liked how sounds Thekk. I like when the sound is massive at lower frequencies, has a solid mids and comfortable high frequencies. It didn't seem to me that Odin had more bass than Thekk. Thekk won both in SQ, my personal preferences and in comfort. Other headphones are a bit bulky for me.

I also listened to other Kennerton headphones. The guys have a lot of interesting solutions that are much cheaper than they give sound quality.

For example, Oldskool 33 1/3 (Fischer Audio)

C9D12E4C-1DC0-4541-B737-0BC5A07CAA21_1_105_c.jpeg D9922ED9-E853-494B-BDC1-EB29FADFD3F8_1_105_c.jpeg 65BFCCED-0AF3-44F3-9E8D-C6399F4A013B_1_105_c.jpeg

These are On-Ear headphones. Amazing sound quality! It costs about $80 (in Russia) but sounds like $300-350. Depth soundstage (Kennerton's style), air, warm oldschool sound. Best for hard rock, blues, jazz maybe.

I bought 2 pcs :)

I also listened to several prototypes. Some surprises await us in the near future :wink:

I have never had planar HP before. But I owned BD DT 770 Pro, Onkyo A800, Denon 5200, Shure 1540, CA Cascade. Currently I have EMU Teak/Rosewood, CA Solaris, Sony IER-M9, Sony IER-Z1R

I'm looking forward for planar IEM from guys very soon :)

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #2,708 of 10,020
Any closed headphone surprises?

Jan 17, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #2,709 of 10,020
Kennerton Jorn
About $300 but sound is more expensive again
They are not very comfortable and put pressure on the head. But the sound is good. Powerful, balanced, with a deep soundstage

Kennerton Vali
Remind me Odin by sound signature. Like a little brother. If Odin is too expensive for you, then you can buy Vali and not be disappointed.

Jan 17, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,710 of 10,020
Hello,

Yes, I have compared with Odin, Thridi, Vali, Thror. So I liked how sounds Thekk. I like when the sound is massive at lower frequencies, has a solid mids and comfortable high frequencies. It didn't seem to me that Odin had more bass than Thekk. Thekk won both in SQ, my personal preferences and in comfort. Other headphones are a bit bulky for me.

I also listened to other Kennerton headphones. The guys have a lot of interesting solutions that are much cheaper than they give sound quality.

For example, Oldskool 33 1/3 (Fischer Audio)

These are On-Ear headphones. Amazing sound quality! It costs about $80 (in Russia) but sounds like $300-350. Depth soundstage (Kennerton's style), air, warm oldschool sound. Best for hard rock, blues, jazz maybe.

I bought 2 pcs :)

I also listened to several prototypes. Some surprises await us in the near future :wink:

I have never had planar HP before. But I owned BD DT 770 Pro, Onkyo A800, Denon 5200, Shure 1540, CA Cascade. Currently I have EMU Teak/Rosewood, CA Solaris, Sony IER-M9, Sony IER-Z1R

Many thanks for your answers. :)

The FA Oldskool look pleasant.

The prototypes in question will be presented soon at the HIGH END SHOW in Bangkok, Thailand on February 27-28, 2020, with Kennerton's boss and I believe also Pierre Paya.
GLOxD.jpg

Oh !

Jan 18, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #2,711 of 10,020
OMG

E058E590-0A11-4922-9E1A-54A535F95B99_1_105_c.jpeg

Custom balanced cable for my Thekk beast
OCC 22 AWG / 7N / Furutech connectors

Testing in progress...

Jan 18, 2020 at 9:46 AM Post #2,712 of 10,020
OMG

Custom balanced cable for my Thekk beast
OCC 22 AWG / 7N / Furutech connectors

Testing in progress...

Great ! :)

The OFC stock cable (mini-XLR - Jack 6.35 mm) delivered with the Kennerton Thekk is not bad, much less rigid than the Kennerton stock cables equipping the first ODINs, but you can find better.

The Kennerton Custom cable, OFC Litz wire https://kennerton.com/shop/custom-litz-cable/ is even better, more qualitative for its construction, more flexible too, and better for the sound (even more transparent while remaining neutral and dynamic); it does not underline the high frequencies contrary to my other Litz wire cable, Vectura C.
My Kennerton Custom cable currently used with my Thekk is like yours equipped with Furutech connectors (requested when ordering this Custom cable).

OCC cables are also known to give softness to the sound while remaining balanced and rich for harmonics; they underline treble less than the mixed copper-silver, or silver, cables that imho are to be avoided with the Thekk.

I think that OCC cables should be quite close to Kennerton's Custom OFC Litz wire cable, for their neutrality, transparency and softness, without underline the high frequencies.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #2,713 of 10,020
The OFC stock cable (mini-XLR - Jack 6.35 mm) delivered with the Kennerton Thekk is not bad, much less rigid than the Kennerton stock cables equipping the first ODINs, but you can find better.

I would say a stock cable is veeeeeeery good. I got both versions (6.3 and 3.5). The sound quality is excellent, but yes, the cable is hard. Moreover, the new version is a little less rigid, but still not very comfortable for me.

they underline treble less than the mixed copper-ragent, or silver, cables that imho are to be avoided with the Thekk.

Can you please explain? OCC cables should be avoided? Or Silver ones?

I think my OCC cable has better resolution at treble than stock cable. This track is good tester for your headphones in the treble section -> Sunday Service Choir - Count Your Blessings. From 02:20 position, the choir begins to sing very very high, and here is the main test. The stock cable in this place seems to be unable to cope and the sound begins to vibrate and is slightly distorted.
At the same time, OCC cable passes this place smoothly and without distortion, while the high frequencies are not cut, timbre and tone are not lost.

Test: Cayin N6 mk2 / Tidal Master quality

The OCC cable housing is also very soft and flexible. It is very nice to feel tactile.

I am still testing a new OCC cable. These are only first impressions.

Jan 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #2,714 of 10,020
I would say a stock cable is veeeeeeery good. I got both versions (6.3 and 3.5). The sound quality is excellent, but yes, the cable is hard. Moreover, the new version is a little less rigid, but still not very comfortable for me.

eric65 said:
they underline treble less than the mixed copper-silver or silver, cables that imho are to be avoided with the Thekk.

Can you please explain? OCC cables should be avoided? Or Silver ones?

Oh, it's simple, the frequency response of the Thekk is quite smooth and regular (not too many audible peaks / hollows) except for a small presence peak around 8-9 KHz, well audible on the ssss of certains voices, only if presents in the recording.

20011110242623553816596550.jpg

A high-frequency underlining cable such as silver or mixed copper/silver cables are to be avoided with the Thekk to avoid underlining the ssss, if present in the recording.

Otherwise, as you say, a good OCC or OFC cable, especially a Litz OFC cable like the Custom cable from Kennerton, with good connectors, and quite good flexibility, will enhance the Thekk, both for the details, the transparency and the relative neutrality, in addition to the pleasure of use.

Note: regarding the Thekk measurement curve above, do not take into account the apparent roll-off in the sub-basses; the Thekk goes down as low as the Thror in the sub-basses, if the pads are properly sealed.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,715 of 10,020
This OCC cable is made by the master especially for Kennerton headphones. And costs even more than Litz OFC :)

This cable upgrades sound in the entire frequency range. Powerful deep sound with a great soundstage (more deeper than stock) that is superbly crafted. Dynamics and speed at a very high level. The sound is lively and transparent, the maximum resolution.

There is no shortage of the lower range. Bass often creates a punch that you feel physically. But for now, I would like to be restrained in the final assessment :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back