Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 3, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #2,658 of 10,020
Indeed! The Thekk measurements look great. Thanks for that Eric :)

Hi Andrew.

Here my subjective listening impressions on these graph : Thekk / Odin / Thror. :)

20010309530323553816581727.jpg

20010309530223553816581725.jpg

20010309530223553816581726.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #2,659 of 10,020
Jan 3, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #2,660 of 10,020
How is the clamping force on thekk?

The clamping force of the Kennerton Thekk is ignificantly less important than that of the Odin, Thridi, Thror and Vali: the headband hoop is more flexible.
If the Thekk's clamping is still too high, it can be reduced very easily by twisting (flattening) the two thin metal blades above the headband hoop.
Otherwise, be sure to play on the circular rotation of the two pads for a precise adjustment of the pads on the face: for me, the anterior stitching of the pads is projected near to the eye line.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #2,661 of 10,020
Hi everyone, will different type of wood effect the sound signature? I'm looking to buy Magni, but not sure what type of wood to choose. Limited edition looks amazing too. Are the woods mixed only for aesthetic purposes? Thanks!

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #2,662 of 10,020
Hi everyone, will different type of wood effect the sound signature? I'm looking to buy Magni, but not sure what type of wood to choose. Limited edition looks amazing too. Are the woods mixed only for aesthetic purposes? Thanks!

Different hardness on woods can affect sound. But on the kennertons it´s just the outer rings that is wood. The big coloration is from the magnesium back so I dunno if it would be audible? And the difference you hear may be just as big as two magnis with the same wood due to driver and assembly. I would believe it really doesn´t matter other then esthetically.

I finally received a balanced cable from Oidio. https://drive.google.com/file/d/14w6OoUNVjxd26vQBZWDRRgBGE36vUIc8/view?usp=sharing

Not yet made any comparisons used the hifiman ananda and stock single ended cables before. The stock is microphonic to the max and to short so it was pretty useless to me. Hifiman Anandas cable is excellent to and is slimmer and just as flexible but this does appear more robust on the other hand but really happy with both. I don´t believe there is that much difference getting the extra power from the balanced output from my thx 789 but yet to make any comparisons.

Still not tired of the Magni. Hifiman Ananda and Sennheiser HD 800S is more resonance free being open and can cram out a bit more detail but I don´t miss them anyway and often kind of preferr the magni though it´s the heaviest and least comfortable of the bunch.

It´s close enough and closed enough :wink: and solid ability to build soundpressure without getting to resonant or goof out like many closed headphones do. While so far not being to distracted as I usually get with "fun tuned" headphones. It´s serious enough.

Jan 3, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,663 of 10,020
Hello
I see there is now specific review page on Magnis headphones. Those of you that have or remember how Beyerdynamic Amiron sounds and how they compare to Magni to in terms of overall sound quality and comfort. (& also Sennheiser hd650)
I would like to hear your opinion.

Jan 4, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #2,664 of 10,020
Good evening, everyone.

I've just done a little comparison of my three Kennerton planar headphones (the Odin mk2, the Thror and the Thekk) on a well-known piece of music, the famous "Money" by Pink Floyd, on the classical CD version not remastered (I would say more, not pasteurized ! :lol: ).

My personal rankings tonight, starting with the last one:

N°3, the Odin mk2 (with the Vectura C cable on the Viva 2A3 amp): the Odin suffers compared to the Thekk and the Thror from a more confined soundstage, much more frontal, with less aeration and space; it's obvious and it feels like a confinement of the sound (compared to the two other headphones, much more open).
The Odin also suffers, still in comparison with the Thekk and Thror, from a lack of finesse: it is comparatively coarser, rougher in tone, sometimes a bit irritating. The saxophone sounds a bit strange.

N°2, I place the Thror (with also the Vectura C cable on the Viva 2A3 amp), that stands out against the Odin, because of all the arguments mentioned above; but compared to the Thekk, the Thror lacks body and warmth and sounds a bit skinny and and high perched; the timbres are fair enough (compared to the Odin), more regular in tone, but they lack a bit of substance and fullness, compared to the Thekk.

N°1, I therefore place the Thekk (with the Kennerton Custom cable on the Viva 2A3 amp), which is clearly different from the Odin by its spatialization less frontal and less confined; it is much more open and airy than the Odin (as well as the Thror also very good for aeration); it is also more fine, more fluid, less rough than the Odin; it does not irritating and is the most pleasant to hear of the three headphones; it is also with it that we have the most "foot-tapping"; otherwise, the saxophone and the male voice sound like the most fair and natural of the three headphones.
The Thekk brings a fullness to the sound that is a bit lacking in the Thror; the voice is full, less emphasized and "high perched for the timbres" than the Thror's, but more present and balanced than the Odin's.

In short, for Pink Floyd fans, the Thekk works very well with it. :)

Also to be compared with other musical genres.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #2,665 of 10,020
Good morning, everyone.

Hi Andrew.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely too much (or not completely) on the measurement curves on the RAA site.

The RAA measurement curves are indeed questionable (in addition to their obvious measurement artifacts at 5.5 KHz (peak) and 8.5-9 KHz (trough), not to mention that the artificial measurement head resonates a maximum ...); as proof: the Odin is given by the manufacturer for a sensitivity of 104 dB/mW, while the Thekk and Thror are an identical sensitivity about 100 dB/mW. The impedance of these three headphones is identical: 42 Ohm +/- 5%.

At the RAA measurement site, the average sensitivity of the Odin (between 100 Hz and 10 KHz) is measured at 110.5 dB/V; that of the Thror is measured at 109 dB/V and that of the Thekk is measured at 111.7 dB/V (i.e. 2.7 dB more than the Thror).

Now, when listening these headphones to my amp, the average sensitivity of the Thror and Thekk seem identical (nb: I'm listening to both of these headphones at the same sound volume, without modifying the volume knob position of the amp), whereas with the Odin, I am obliged to reduce the position of the volume knob of the amp by at least 3 dB to have a listening level comparable to that of the Thror and Thekk.

Otherwise, still listening, the headphones giving the most mid bass is the Odin, followed by the Thekk and then the Thror.
Still listening, the headphones giving the most sub-bass is the Thror, followed by little Thekk and further from the Odin.
The headphones with the most treble (around 6 KHz) are the Odin (granular treble), followed by the Thror and the Thekk (treble more fine).
The most colourful headphones (voice and instruments) is the Odin, followed by the Thekk and Thror (the most "neutral").
The headphones give the least coloration to the voices, in the sense that they sound the most fair (true) and natural, without accentuating the frequencies (as at 3.5 KHz for the Thror) (or dig them too much, as at 1.8 KHz for the Odin)), it's the Thekk, followed by the Thror (fairly true timbres, but a bit "high-perched", lacking a bit of body and warmth), then the Odin (a bit muffled, recessed voice and peculiar timbres, and in the end, the least fair).
The headphones that best reproduce the cello (both for the ratio of the body sound (body) to the strings sound) and for the naturalness of the timbres and also for the aeration) is the Thekk.
The two most open and airy headphones (the least confined and frontal) giving the most beautiful sound scene, and by far (compared to the Odin), are the Thekk and the Thror, but with two different tonalities (warmer, but not dark for the Thekk ; colder and leaner (with less matter and fullness) with the Thror).
Otherwise, the three headphones "faithfully" reproduce the whistles (the ssss) when they exist in the recording, both the Odin (around 6 KHz) and the Thekk and Thror (around 8.5-9 KHz), but in a way, these whistles are finer (less granular) with the Thekk and the Thror (compared to the Odin), narrower and more punctual.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #2,667 of 10,020
Good morning, everyone.

Hi Andrew.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely too much (or not completely) on the measurement curves on the RAA site.

The RAA measurement curves are indeed questionable (in addition to their obvious measurement artifacts at 5.5 KHz (peak) and 8.5-9 KHz (trough), not to mention that the artificial measurement head resonates a maximum ...); as proof: the Odin is given by the manufacturer for a sensitivity of 104 dB/mW, while the Thekk and Thror are an identical sensitivity about 100 dB/mW. The impedance of these three headphones is identical: 42 Ohm +/- 5%.

At the RAA measurement site, the average sensitivity of the Odin (between 100 Hz and 10 KHz) is measured at 110.5 dB/V; that of the Thror is measured at 109 dB/V and that of the Thekk is measured at 111.7 dB/V (i.e. 2.7 dB more than the Thror).

Now, when listening these headphones to my amp, the average sensitivity of the Thror and Thekk seem identical (nb: I'm listening to both of these headphones at the same sound volume, without modifying the volume knob position of the amp), whereas with the Odin, I am obliged to reduce the position of the volume knob of the amp by at least 3 dB to have a listening level comparable to that of the Thror and Thekk.

Otherwise, still listening, the headphones giving the most mid bass is the Odin, followed by the Thekk and then the Thror.
Still listening, the headphones giving the most sub-bass is the Thror, followed by little Thekk and further from the Odin.
The headphones with the most treble (around 6 KHz) are the Odin (granular treble), followed by the Thror and the Thekk (treble more fine).
The most colourful headphones (voice and instruments) is the Odin, followed by the Thekk and Thror (the most "neutral").
The headphones give the least coloration to the voices, in the sense that they sound the most fair (true) and natural, without accentuating the frequencies (as at 3.5 KHz for the Thror) (or dig them too much, as at 1.8 KHz for the Odin)), it's the Thekk, followed by the Thror (fairly true timbres, but a bit "high-perched", lacking a bit of body and warmth), then the Odin (a bit muffled, recessed voice and peculiar timbres, and in the end, the least fair).
The headphones that best reproduce the cello (both for the ratio of the body sound (body) to the strings sound) and for the naturalness of the timbres and also for the aeration) is the Thekk.
The two most open and airy headphones (the least confined and frontal) giving the most beautiful sound scene, and by far (compared to the Odin), are the Thekk and the Thror, but with two different tonalities (warmer, but not dark for the Thekk ; colder and leaner (with less matter and fullness) with the Thror).
Otherwise, the three headphones "faithfully" reproduce the whistles (the ssss) when they exist in the recording, both the Odin (around 6 KHz) and the Thekk and Thror (around 8.5-9 KHz), but in a way, these whistles are finer (less granular) with the Thekk and the Thror (compared to the Odin), narrower and more punctual.

Could I ask how much sonic differences there are between the Odin MK2 and the latest Odin Thridi? I heard some some manufacturers prefer this to the Thror or Thekk for evaluation of their headphone amplifiers.

Jan 5, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #2,668 of 10,020
Could I ask how much sonic differences there are between the Odin MK2 and the latest Odin Thridi? I heard some some manufacturers prefer this to the Thror or Thekk for evaluation of their headphone amplifiers.

To answer you, to my knowledge, the Odin Thridi has a little more bass than the Odin mk2 but also less treble.
The Odin Thridi is sometimes preferred to the Thror for its higher bass level and its greater dynamics (more hiting, more demonstrative) but it has a little less treble than the Thror and even less than the Odin mk2.
The Thror is more precise and even more airy for the soundstage than the Odin Thridi.
I don't know, at the moment, of any comparison already made between the Odin Thridi and the Thekk.
Otherwise, the Odin Thridi is a priori easier to drive by an headphone amplifier than the Thekk and the Thror because of a sensitivity 3 to 4 dB higher (104 dB / mW (42 Ohm) for the Odin Thridi versus 100 dB / mW (42 Ohm) for the Thekk and the Thror).

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #2,670 of 10,020
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back