Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 30, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,562 of 10,020
Wow, that Pale Moon Ebony is gorgeous!!!!

Hi Dave,

True, really superb this Odin! :)

odin-ebony-1-900x900.jpg

Tempting, for a collector like you!

If I hadn't spent my money on other purchases (see below), I might have bought it.

Otherwise, I'm still waiting for the Kennerton Tror (with the Custom Litz wire cable), a planar headphone TOTL still being finalized.
Too bad it does not come out (for the moment) with this beautiful wood Pale Moon Ebony, but it seems that the Bog Oak is a lighter wood.

Finally, I just ordered the amplifier XI Audio Formula S ; it's a solid state amplifier optimized for the JPS Abyss (power 2 Watt at the load 46 Ohm), but that I'll use for my Odin mk2 and the future Tror; it will complement my Viva 2A3 tube amp; the XI Audio Formula S would be very straight and transparent, very dynamic; very good with all planar headphones.

xiaudio_formula_s_w.jpg

http://www.theevolutionofsound.com/xiaudio-formula-s/

See also this link : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new...m-fischer-at-ifa.732814/page-94#post-13736714

Have a good day.

Eric

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #1,563 of 10,020
Hello Eric.

Well, if I hadn’t spent money on upgrading my photographic gears recently, I would be very tempted too. I upgrade cameras (yes, with an ‘s’) most every 5 years. And that’s, at least, a Leica M10 and a Nikon D850 for me (from an M240 and a D800). I done for, wallet-wise, for a while.

But I would wait for a Tror though.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,564 of 10,020
Hi Dave,

You have to make a choice, indeed.

Regarding headphones, a hypothetical Kennerton Tror in Karelian Birch or in Pale Moon ebony, it's not for right away. It will give you time to save for the future "Abyss killer" (i.e. the futur Tror), starting with the beauty of the object, not to mention the reduced weight.:)

Regarding the photo equipment; I'm like you a fan of Nikon: I owned a Nikon D3 (FX) (and not a D800, sorry); currently I have as camera only a Nikon D300S with 3 photo lenses: an AF-S Nikkor 17-55 mm 1:2.8 G ED; an AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm 1:2.8 GII ED and an AF-S Nikkor 85 mm 1:1.4 G N ; this enough to live happily for a few decades! :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #1,566 of 10,020
Jan 30, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,567 of 10,020
Those Pale Moon Ebony's are beautiful! I'm still mad at myself for not picking up a Bog Oak Odin when they had a pair in their B-Stock sale. I would have for sure got them if I'd have know how much I'd love the Vali's... :disappointed:

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #1,568 of 10,020
That Eleven Audio amp looks like a tank! I imagine it will be awesome. Hope to hear more of your impressions on that Eric...

What kind of tank of the WW2, Andrew? :beyersmile:

American ? (built as the US XI Audio Formula S amp) or Russian ? (built as the Russian Kennerton Odin)

A beautiful alliance of circumstance! :)

18020111124423553815526465.jpg

M4A3E2 (76) W Tank WW2 (War Thunder)

18020111125823553815526466.jpg

KV-1 ZIS-5 Tank WW2 (War Thunder)

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 6:59 AM Post #1,571 of 10,020
Wow !
Bravo !
When ?
If this new parts not be too brittle, I will try to set them in Pale Moon Ebony, or another case in some b-stosk (they will sale like prototype).
Unfortunately I could not to mold all grilles without little cosmetic defects (1-2 micro bubbles on surface). It's complicated handwork.

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:09 AM Post #1,572 of 10,020
If this new parts not be too brittle, I will try to set them in Pale Moon Ebony, or another case in some b-stosk (they will sale like prototype).
Unfortunately I could not to mold all grilles without little cosmetic defects (1-2 micro bubbles on surface). It's complicated handwork.

Hi, Max.

So, perhaps in addition to the original grids?

Maybe, to sell as an option for an upgrade of Odin already sold?

100 g less, it is not nothing.

This could interest some members of the French forum ...
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179453415.html#p179453415

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #1,573 of 10,020
Lighter version of the Odin is possible in the future, but driver will remain the same.

Because:
1) This element is part of a magnetic circuit and affects the sound. We do not want to change the sounding of Odin.
2) Carbon is more expensive than steel.

"They" = I am
hi.gif

Sound with carbon is good, but it will be already another sound. It will not be an Odin anymore)))

So... Odin will stay Odin, and for another sound we creating Thror now. We not plan to change Odiin's sound signsture (so we will not change the driver materials), but we hope to reduce a weight (with new grid) in future.
But first we will release a Thror.

I hope in the future that all future Odin will benefit from this reduced weight (100 g) thanks to this new composite material for the external grids, once the technology is well controlled.

Well, if I understood correctly, Kennerton's priority is currently the production of the first batch of the future Tror, which I hope will be as good as the prototype tested at my home (with better airy than the Odin and a FR to at the same time more extended to the extremities of the FR, and also more regular and flat than that of the Odin).

The FR of the prototype of the Tror being different from that of my Odin mk2 (see the photos below), it is understood that the sound of the Tror will be less warm than that of the Odin (FR less descending).

18020402240123553815534779.jpg

FR of my Kennerton Odin mk2 wooden in Karelian Birch

18020402240123553815534778.jpg

FR of the Kennerton Tror (prototype) wooden in Bog Oak

Otherwise, in what material will the external grids of the Tror be built??
In zinc? (like that of the current Odin); in aluminium ? ; or in composite material? (like those presented above for the Odin) or another material? knowing that the grids of the prototype of the tested Tror were printed in 3D in synthetic material.

The combination of a carbon frame for the drivers and an external grid made of synthetic material having reduced the weight of the Tror prototype by 200 g compared to the current Odin, which is considerable.

Looking forward to news of the future flagship planar Kennerton Tror, and to begin with, an estimate of the release date of the first batch? :)

Eric

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 6:02 AM Post #1,575 of 10,020
The first pair of composite grills is installed on the ODIN Pale Moon Ebony. Who will risk being the first owner?
music.gif

Hi Max.

This superb headphone ODIN Pale Moon Ebony, limited series, would have interested me, for the beauty of its wood, not to mention the custom Litz wire cable delivered with it, and now the lightened composite grids (100 g less) ; but I spent all my money for the order of the Kennerton Tror and also for the new solid state amp, the XI Audio Formula S. Too bad for me! :triportsad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back