Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #8,986 of 10,015
well this guy is Enrico The Clown, I watched him as a 5 year old on TV. Now he is probably 65 and I guess nowadays not even little kids find him funny anymore... only dimwits.

Heartland vs Rognir planar impressions appreciated. Still out for one to complement D8kp... can't imagine midfi HP will do it for me anymore, not even a HD whateverhundred.

Attachments

• 1678649382454.png
    1678649382454.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #8,987 of 10,015
well this guy is Enrico The Clown, I watched him as a 5 year old on TV. Now he is probably 65 and I guess nowadays not even little kids find him funny anymore... only dimwits.

Heartland vs Rognir planar impressions appreciated. Still out for one to complement D8kp... can't imagine midfi HP will do it for me anymore, not even a HD whateverhundred.
Haven't heard Heartland, but Rognir P does compare very favorably to D8000 Pro. Actually they are surprisingly similar, both of which offer a very engaging and dynamic sound which may not be perfectly flat on a graph, but do sound highly satisfying. Both are on the warmer side, with elevation in the bass; D8KP has more bass than RP with stock pads, but RP with non-perforated pads (ECL-03MF) has noticeably more bass, with significant elevation in both sub- and mid- bass frequencies. I would say that D8KP does offer overall better bass quality, with slightly more resolution capability than RP; the difference is small, but noticeable. Mids and treble are definitely more similar than different; extension is excellent, but more reference-inclined listeners would probably want more elevation in the mid frequncies, where both headphones have some tonal quirks which prevent them from being perfectly flat. I found this to be a net benefit, however; both headphones are more forgiving towards imperfect recordings than something like Utopia, which does measure more flat but can get a bit harsh at times.

Maybe the biggest thing going for Rognir, is its closed-back design; with any non-perforated pads installed, the isolation is significantly better than any open or semi-open back design; whereas with D8KP you need a completely silent room to enjoy it to the fullest extent, with RP you can have a less-than-ideal listening environment and still get a true TOTL experience.

Mar 12, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #8,988 of 10,015

I own the D8000 Pro and the Rognir. I think they are a great pair. The Rognir is super energetic and and in your face with its sound. So pretty much polar opposite of the D8000pro.

If you are looking for a very different sound from the D8000 Pro get the Rognir.

I don't think anyone here has gotten the Heartland since they are just now shipping out. It is suppose to be a bass heavy Thror.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #8,989 of 10,015
Haven't heard Heartland, but Rognir P does compare very favorably to D8000 Pro. Actually they are surprisingly similar, both of which offer a very engaging and dynamic sound which may not be perfectly flat on a graph, but do sound highly satisfying. Both are on the warmer side, with elevation in the bass; D8KP has more bass than RP with stock pads, but RP with non-perforated pads (ECL-03MF) has noticeably more bass, with significant elevation in both sub- and mid- bass frequencies. I would say that D8KP does offer overall better bass quality, with slightly more resolution capability than RP; the difference is small, but noticeable. Mids and treble are definitely more similar than different; extension is excellent, but more reference-inclined listeners would probably want more elevation in the mid frequncies, where both headphones have some tonal quirks which prevent them from being perfectly flat. I found this to be a net benefit, however; both headphones are more forgiving towards imperfect recordings than something like Utopia, which does measure more flat but can get a bit harsh at times.

Maybe the biggest thing going for Rognir, is its closed-back design; with any non-perforated pads installed, the isolation is significantly better than any open or semi-open back design; whereas with D8KP you need a completely silent room to enjoy it to the fullest extent, with RP you can have a less-than-ideal listening environment and still get a true TOTL experience.
What he said. Though I find the D8000pro to be a lot warmer than the RP. Also found the D8p to be a more laid back welcoming sound compared to the raw energy of the Rognir.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #8,990 of 10,015
What he said. Though I find the D8000pro to be a lot warmer than the RP.
It has at least partly to do with the pads, D8KP is certainly warmer than RP with stock pads, but RP with the ECL-03s are probably a bit warmer, if only because of its elevated bass.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #8,992 of 10,015
It has at least partly to do with the pads, D8KP is certainly warmer than RP with stock pads, but RP with the ECL-03s are probably a bit warmer, if only because of its elevated bass.
That is true.
I sadly don't own the memory foam ecl-01 pads, the stock ones. I really like the ecl-02 mf on them.It isn't as warm as the 3 but still adds affair bit more bass and energy.

Also on mobile so I can't really do a good write up on the differences between the pads sound.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #8,993 of 10,015
I own the D8000 Pro and the Rognir. I think they are a great pair. The Rognir is super energetic and and in your face with its sound. So pretty much polar opposite of the D8000pro.

If you are looking for a very different sound from the D8000 Pro get the Rognir.

I don't think anyone here has gotten the Heartland since they are just now shipping out. It is suppose to be a bass heavy Thror.
If you hear the Rognir sounding a bit out of place and in your head, change the dac and amplifier. With a good dac and amplifier combo, you have a huge 3D space, yes, there is even sound behind you. is among the best, the space and imagery of Rognir.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #8,994 of 10,015
The Rognir is super energetic and and in your face with its sound.
That's what I want to add. But the HP must be capable of perfectly handling let's name a known artist, Dom & Roland type of energy. With that part of my collection I sometimes fear that drives will fail because the music by itself... that raw, complex, dense and heavy sometimes. D&B. Not going too much above 80 db so won't happen but you know...
Also found the D8p to be a more laid back welcoming sound
My impression too and maybe perfect for these tracks leaning towards ambient, deep, hypnotic, atmospheric type of music.
In my case none of your typical audiophile type of music so have to "tranlate" impressions, reviews and recommendations with that "grain of salt".
With a good dac and amplifier combo
What's that in your opinion?

Mar 13, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #8,995 of 10,015
That's what I want to add. But the HP must be capable of perfectly handling let's name a known artist, Dom & Roland type of energy. With that part of my collection I sometimes fear that drives will fail because the music by itself... that raw, complex, dense and heavy sometimes. D&B. Not going too much above 80 db so won't happen but you know...

My impression too and maybe perfect for these tracks leaning towards ambient, deep, hypnotic, atmospheric type of music.
In my case none of your typical audiophile type of music so have to "tranlate" impressions, reviews and recommendations with that "grain of salt".

What's that in your opinion?
I can only agree with what others have added: Rognir planar shares some attributes with D8K Pro, but offers a far more energetic presentation with arguably better dynamics. As you know, I owned both and switching between the two, the Rognir planar will neither feel enclosed nor incapable of handling bass-heavy complex music. I don't know the artist you mentioned above because I am existentially, spiritually, and culturally stuck at a Night Ranger concert in 1988, but I did listen to this:

...and can assure you, Rognir handles it without breaking a sweat!

Mar 14, 2023 at 6:49 PM Post #8,997 of 10,015
I can only agree with what others have added: Rognir planar shares some attributes with D8K Pro, but offers a far more energetic presentation with arguably better dynamics. As you know, I owned both and switching between the two, the Rognir planar will neither feel enclosed nor incapable of handling bass-heavy complex music. I don't know the artist you mentioned above because I am existentially, spiritually, and culturally stuck at a Night Ranger concert in 1988, but I did listen to this:

...and can assure you, Rognir handles it without breaking a sweat!

that album, right on! Moving Shadow is history but Over Shadow rose out of it's ashes.

From time to time I reach out to get conformation on what I hope will be the right HP.

that fact that you chose this album, right what I was thinking about, so I guess I'm still on track!

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #8,998 of 10,015
Thanks eric65 for your very interesting posts...

Can you give more of your impressions about this sennheiser Hd 560S ? what is your comparison for example between it and the kennerton you like the most ?
Hi.

Kennerton Thekk (SN/001) versus Sennheiser HD-400 Pro (my copy) (and not Sennheiser HD-560S). Objective measurement (relative FR) - Update.

23031410134123553818134605.jpg

HD-560S versus HD-400 Pro (chosen as reference headphones) (in relative dB)

23031410134223553818134607.jpg

Kennerton Thekk versus HD 400 Pro (chosen as reference headphones) (in relative dB)

Read more at these links:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-released.960952/page-5
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181116799.html#p181116799

Mar 15, 2023 at 3:57 AM Post #8,999 of 10,015
Hi.

Kennerton Thekk (SN/001) versus Sennheiser HD-400 Pro (my copy) (and not Sennheiser HD-560S). Objective measurement (relative FR) - Update.

23031410134123553818134605.jpg

HD-560S versus HD-400 Pro (chosen as reference headphones) (in relative dB)

23031410134223553818134607.jpg

Kennerton Thekk versus HD 400 Pro (chosen as reference headphones) (in relative dB)

Read more at these links:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd-400-pro-released.960952/page-5
https://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post181116799.html#p181116799
k

Users who are viewing this thread

Back