Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 19, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #6,961 of 10,020
Very interesting to read. I have ZMF Verite Closed and am considering the Rognir. I have the GH-50 JM Mk2 and quite enjoy them. I wonder if your amps are adequate to power the VC. I power mine with Schitt Lyr3, they seem to crave power and really only shine with power, which limits them to desktop use. The Rognir seems easier to drive. Anyway, thanks for sharing your impressions. It’s all double hard when pads make such a big difference in the sound of the VC and it seems maybe the Rognir as well.
I have the VC, JM Mk2, and the Rognir Planar. I also used to power all three with a Lyr3. The Rognir is a great complement to the VCs and the GH50s.

Jan 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #6,962 of 10,020
I have the VC, JM Mk2, and the Rognir Planar. I also used to power all three with a Lyr3. The Rognir is a great complement to the VCs and the GH50s.

I'm along the same line. I really enjoy my VC's, and I think the Rognir Planar will hopefully be a great complement to it. I'm just waiting to get mine back from a certain audio reviewer :)

I think once we listen to one headphone long enough, our brain starts to get too accustomed to it, and we start thinking the sound is getting worse/boring. Having sufficiently different headphones is a great way to switch things up and keep things fresh in one's mind in my opinion.

Jan 19, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #6,964 of 10,020
Does anyone know the difference between the more bass version and more neutral version of the rognir planar? I was wondering if it’s just different pads or driver tweaked.
It's a lot simpler than that. Just look at the holes in the back of the cups of your headphones. If you see a ring under the metal mesh (this is the end of the silicone tube) - then it is a neutral version. If you can't see anything under the mesh, it's the bass version. You can see examples in the pictures.

Attachments​

• Rognir bass version.jpg
    Rognir bass version.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • Rognir neutral version.jpg
    Rognir neutral version.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:53 AM Post #6,969 of 10,020
I just found it. A guy who’s interested in the rognir planar is trying to see if it’s best to go neutral version and have dynamic pads or go bass heavy version and dynamic pads. I can’t really say if there’d be enough mid bass or not he has vc right now.
Seems to me best start with neutral and pad roll to dynamic, as you have option of alternative tunings. With bass heavy version, you'd have to mod the port to revert back to neutral. Question is - is neutral with dynamic pads same tuning as bass heavy via port version?

I have VC. Neutral with dynamic pads in Rognir certainly elevates the mid bass but you still won't get the enveloping hump on the VC. But for me, that's a good thing.

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #6,970 of 10,020
Seems to me best start with neutral and pad roll to dynamic, as you have option of alternative tunings. With bass heavy version, you'd have to mod the port to revert back to neutral. Question is - is neutral with dynamic pads same tuning as bass heavy via port version?

I have VC. Neutral with dynamic pads in Rognir certainly elevates the mid bass but you still won't get the enveloping hump on the VC. But for me, that's a good thing.
I agree. I think with bass heavy version I have there’s enough bass for what I want. I’d be interested to kno if neutral version plus different pads is better than the standard bass heavy version.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #6,971 of 10,020
I agree. I think with bass heavy version I have there’s enough bass for what I want. I’d be interested to kno if neutral version plus different pads is better than the standard bass heavy version.
I have the bass heavy version. I wanted to try the neutral version and inquired Kennerton about it. Instead of having another unit altogether since I doubt it can be converted from bass heavy to neutral based on the pics above, their solution was to send me the ECL-02 pads which is used w/ all their open back planar and the sound is pretty flat to my ears. WIder soundstage, more airy at the reduction of bass in general. Not dry by any means but not enough for certain music genre ahem EDM/hip hop. Although I can see acoustic. classical listener will appreciate this sound.

I haven't tried the bass heavy version w/ the Dynamic pads combo yet which I would imagine has even greater bass shelf. The stock pads w/ the bass heavy version already has plenty of bass enough for my taste and I listen to electronics usually.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #6,972 of 10,020
Jan 20, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #6,973 of 10,020
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, unfortunately my passive knowledge of English does not allow me to write freely so I apologize in advance for using a translator.

I'm not an audiophile (far from it) but I'm a modest enthusiast with a modest budget, so I can't afford to buy 5 pairs of headphones (one for each type of music :wink: )

Unfortunately after few tests on cheaper models of "around-the-ear" headphones and IEM's I've realized that for me most of headphones has no bass at all, at the same time I can't call myself typical bass-head, I don't like bass booming all the time (but for me bass if it comes, it has to be bass, not banging a stick on a cardboard or just loud sound without noticeable mass, decay, impact and texture)

So I've been reading this thread and another one dedicated to closed headphones (because I'm looking for those) for a long time in search of that white rabbit that I can grab by the ears and be relatively satisfied.

My budget is around $1000-1200. I want the best quality bass, but one that's noticeable, loaded, with texture and impact (as I wrote above), I listen to a variety of music (rock, metal, pop, industrial, electro, triphop, etc)

My knowledge about headphones sound is not large and more theoretical when it comes to more expensive models, so if I write something wrong, please correct me
at the moment

I am choosing between:

- Kennerton GH50 (feedback on bass from head fi forum indicates that in this aspect it could be what I'm looking for, supposedly they have a softer treble than TH900, only the tuning is not audiophile/monitor and more "fun" so I don't know if this will be a plus or minus for me with different music genres)

- used Fostexes (not sure which model yet)

- Audeze LCD-XC (here a little bass may be missing for me according to what I read, I like impact and weighted sound)

- used Ether Flow C 1.1 (supposedly better bass than LCD-XC, but not as good as e.g. Fostex or Kennerton, but better in other ranges... but I am afraid to buy used planar speakers, even in this price range there were some that had poor characteristics and I have no way to compare them to other models of the same type)

My questions:

1) In your opinion is the Kennerton G50 a good choice for different genres of music (e.g. will it work for electronic music). Or would the Fostexes work better as an all-rounder?

2. since I'm from Poland, I don't know if I will have the opportunity to order the JM MK2 mod (regards to the author and thanks for the huge work) and if it will make sense for the price.

3. does the GH50 version (without any modification) has better bass quality than the JM version from the store

Jan 20, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #6,975 of 10,020
Just got the "bass tuned" pads for the Rognir - aka the Rognir Dynamic pads from Kennerton. Kudos to excellent service, Russia to Vienna in two days.

Somewhat hard to pad "roll" because it's very fiddly switching from one set to another, but I like what I'm hearing. The bass pads are angled, so the comfort and overall quality feels to me nicer than stock version. As to sound, indeed the Dynamic pads seem to raise the mid-bass by a few DB while also being very controlled and tight. No muddiness whatsoever. I also feel vocals are foregrounded a little more, which to my mind is a good thing. Not sensing too much loss in detail. I think anyone who was concerned that the Rognir was too lean will likely be impressed with these pads. It's definitely nice to have two sets to alternate between different tunings for different moods, etc.

Thats exactly what I was noticing while switching between stock and "bassy" pads. The fit is actually quite nice on the bassy pads - at least for me.

What`s the most remarkable difference between the VC and the Rögnir for you? I am planing to get my hands on some VO til the end of the year, but VCs are still on my radar.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back