Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 17, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #6,916 of 10,020
As my dear mother has always said, if you cannot say anything positive, don't say anything at all. It has served me well in life. I am not a fan of Sennheiser products having heard several of their models including the HD800S but respect their products and those who are fans. and I don't go onto Sennheiser enthusiasts' websites to self-righteously point out their faults for whatever noble reasons. Every headphone, like most things in life, has its strengths and weaknesses. Personally I find Kennerton products to have the best combination, at least among those I have heard.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #6,917 of 10,020
After reading the recent posts about Sennheiser versus Kennerton headphones and their tonality and accuracy considerations, I have to admit I am somewhat confused about Mr. Eric65's intentions. Having read the previous 461 pages of this thread lately I am greatly appreciative of Eric65's generous postings of information regarding Kennerton products and it is obvious he is, or was, a true fan. Then at some point his demeanor regarding Kennerton products completely changed. This is perhaps owing to a falling out due to a French Kennerton distributor declining to sell Eric65 a Kennerton headphone and Kennerton the company's similar stance. Now we see Eric65's seeming expressions of sour grapes wherein he no longer is enamoured of Kennerton products and on many occasions sings the praises of Sennheiser offerings while simultaneously denigrating Kennerton's more recent headphones. He deems Sennheiser phones as more accurate and possessing better tonality, although he does still praise Kennerton craftmanship. I am wondering what his motivation is, going onto a Kennerton enthusiasts' thread and seemingly trying to rain on their parade. Is this some type of revenge for mistreatment by Kennerton in the past, or does he have some undisclosed financial relationship with Sennheiser? While it is certainly understandable that someone can find a new headphone line that he or she deems superior, as it has also happened to myself, I cannot imagine returning to a thread of enthusiasts of my previous favorite headphones to denigrate their products in favor of my new favorite product. This behavior is disingenuous at the least. Perhaps Eric65 would like to disclose his reasons for doing so.
Eric just wants to open our minds and close our wallets :relieved: What's wrong with that?

At the end, he uses his Sennheiser headphones and have the Kennertons behind a vitrine.

Jan 17, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #6,918 of 10,020
I had the Magni for a while and really enjoyed them but had to return them, I think when you do have a problem (slight or not) it leads you to negative thoughts about that particular brand. I have no problems with Kennerton and I would happily buy another product from them (whether they are value for money or not is upto the person who is making the purchase).

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #6,919 of 10,020
I had the Magni for a while and really enjoyed them but had to return them, I think when you do have a problem (slight or not) it leads you to negative thoughts about that particular brand. I have no problems with Kennerton and I would happily buy another product from them (whether they are value for money or not is upto the person who is making the purchase).
I think that isn't the issue here. The thing is that you can obtain a similar -or in this case and by his ears- better sound with cheaper cans and don't have to pay a lot of money just for aesthetics.

Jan 17, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #6,920 of 10,020
Eric just wants to open our minds and close our wallets :relieved: What's wrong with that?
Hi.

Indeed, what harm to buy headphones, for once not too expensive, and which are very good, technically speaking and tonally speaking, to meet my listening needs; my priority (which only engages me) being the respect of the tonality, starting with that of the female voices that I appreciate so much. :)

At the end, he uses his Sennheiser headphones and have the Kennertons behind a vitrine.

Wrong: only one of my two Kennerton headphones is stored in a display case (vitrine), as I speak, the Kennerton Thekk. :beyersmile:

The Kennerton Thror (my son's) is waiting for the return of his master (studying during the week in the big neighboring city) in his room, in our house.

As for the two ugly ducks (the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, on the left, and HD 560S, on the right), if they don't have the majestic look of a swan, well, they sit on either side of my Viva tube amp, for new audio-visual or pure audio adventures.

22011709335823553817754588.jpg

22011709335823553817754587.jpg

22011709335823553817754586.jpg

EDIT:

If the aesthetics of the headphones is not your priority, and if your wallet is thin, there is a way to obtain a very good sound with these two German headphones.

If you have a Russian soul and are looking for an addictive, but colorful, heavy and not always very comfortable for wearing, but original headphones, then Kennerton headphones are there; I was thinking in particular of the Odin mk2 (no longer produced), which was quite expensive, but was still reasonable, and which you should still be able to find used. I gave mine to my musician friend and neighbor, who is very happy with it, especially for listening to jazz.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #6,922 of 10,020
Jan 17, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #6,923 of 10,020
Has anyone tried disassembling the Magni's? My left ear keeps cutting out, and it doesn't seem to be the cable

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #6,924 of 10,020
Guys, after many years of planning, waiting and preparing, we will be closing on a house! For years during apartment living, I have built a great headphone based system. Over the last year I have started preparing for the new home and invested heavily in a 2 channel system. I have decided that I am going to leave the headphone hobby and concentrate on my 2 channel and turntable system which I am having a dedicated room built in the basement for.

This has been my favorite forum since I discovered Kennerton. I have met many people here that I now consider friends. I will be selling off all of my headphones and my headphone amp in the next coming weeks. I will give members of this page first priority for my beautiful planar Rognir. I will let people know here when I have listed them.

Thanks for the great advise and friendships.

Matt

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #6,925 of 10,020
I really like the look of those! Subtle and beautiful. :thumbsup:
Hi.

Indeed, what harm to buy headphones, for once not too expensive, and which are very good, technically speaking and tonally speaking, to meet my listening needs; my priority (which only engages me) being the respect of the tonality, starting with that of the female voices that I appreciate so much. :)

Wrong: only one of my two Kennerton headphones is stored in a display case (vitrine), as I speak, the Kennerton Thekk. :beyersmile:

The Kennerton Thror (my son's) is waiting for the return of his master (studying during the week in the big neighboring city) in his room, in our house.

As for the two ugly ducks (the Sennheiser HD 400 Pro headphones, on the left, and HD 560S, on the right), if they don't have the majestic look of a swan, well, they sit on either side of my Viva tube amp, for new audio-visual or pure audio adventures.

22011709335823553817754588.jpg

22011709335823553817754587.jpg

22011709335823553817754586.jpg

EDIT:

If the aesthetics of the headphones is not your priority, and if your wallet is thin, there is a way to obtain a very good sound with these two German headphones.

If you have a Russian soul and are looking for an addictive, but colorful, heavy and not always very comfortable for wearing, but original headphones, then Kennerton headphones are there; I was thinking in particular of the Odin mk2 (no longer produced), which was quite expensive, but was still reasonable, and which you should still be able to find used. I gave mine to my musician friend and neighbor, who is very happy with it, especially for listening to jazz

Jan 17, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #6,926 of 10,020
Jan 17, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #6,927 of 10,020
I am shifting my attention to the GH40 so that I become much more comfortable with them as opposed to the Dynamic. That will be the first review I write between the two, when that eventually happens. It is difficult for my old brain to critically listen to two for review. That said I really enjoy the Dynamic 😀
I am anxiously awaiting this review/feedback, thx! Cheers

Jan 17, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #6,928 of 10,020
Guys, after many years of planning, waiting and preparing, we will be closing on a house! For years during apartment living, I have built a great headphone based system. Over the last year I have started preparing for the new home and invested heavily in a 2 channel system. I have decided that I am going to leave the headphone hobby and concentrate on my 2 channel and turntable system which I am having a dedicated room built in the basement for.

This has been my favorite forum since I discovered Kennerton. I have met many people here that I now consider friends. I will be selling off all of my headphones and my headphone amp in the next coming weeks. I will give members of this page first priority for my beautiful planar Rognir. I will let people know here when I have listed them.

Matt
We will miss you for sure. Come back and visit us some times.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #6,929 of 10,020

Matt
I don't know about your personal situation (the only thing I know, from your pics, is that you have at least one son) , but I can relate mine and maybe will be helpful for you:

After a day of work, I use to bring my children to activities after school, sometimes I help them with their homework (I love to do that), then is shower time and prepare the dinner and when they finally go to sleep, I have a precious time to listen to headphones (closed back in my case, because I listen to music near them and my wife, while they are sleeping).

I think that if you plan to only listen to music in the basement, I would keep an open back for those moments at night when you don't want (or don't have enough time) to enjoy your stereo. If you plan to listen to music in a place near them, while they are sleeping, would be better a closed back (at least, in my case). Maybe you find yourself in that situation that you can only enjoy your stereo at weekends (I don't know)...

Anyway, whatever the decision you take, I wish you the best. That's just my simple advice based in my experience.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 5:45 AM Post #6,930 of 10,020
For me the dense full size memory foam pads work best that Kennerton has available
John, could you clarify which pads exactly you are referring to, I'm a bit confused with multitude of pads I had with Rognir / Rognir Dynamic )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back