Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 18, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #6,016 of 10,017
Yeah Kennerton is a great customer service company.

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #6,017 of 10,017
Sucks to hear that, my friend.

On a brighter note, they do look great together. :)

Anyway, I hope that you'll get a replacement unit sooner, rather than later.
Thanks, mate. Appreciate it.

The MZ3 is now being UPS'd back to LTA EU (return shipment covered by LTA, thankfully). The customer service rep there told me he'd never encountered this problem and I've no reason not to believe him. Probably something freakish, though just what remains unknown. In any case, I'm now travelling for 2 weeks, so if there was a preferable time for it be fixed, then I guess this is the time.

I'll have to wait a while to hear how the Rognir pairs with the ZM3, though luckily they still sound superb directly from N6ii/A02 and C9.

Cheers.

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #6,018 of 10,017
Does anyone know where/who has the kennerton rognir from the kennerton rognir tour and possibly the list of people reviewing it. I was hoping to get more reviews on the rognir and possible comparisons with other TOTL headphones. I know antdroid is on the list and he owns the Susvara I think so that would have been an interesting comparison although closed vs open back. The more reviews the better since I'm heavily considering purchasing it and I can't really demo it unfortunately.

Sep 18, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #6,019 of 10,017
Does anyone know where/who has the kennerton rognir from the kennerton rognir tour and possibly the list of people reviewing it. I was hoping to get more reviews on the rognir and possible comparisons with other TOTL headphones. I know antdroid is on the list and he owns the Susvara I think so that would have been an interesting comparison although closed vs open back. The more reviews the better since I'm heavily considering purchasing it and I can't really demo it unfortunately.
I know one review is here from tour - not sure but they all should add to this I would think https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-rognir-closed-back-plannar-magnetic-headphones.25164/

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #6,020 of 10,017
Someone mentioned earlier on this thread that Kennerton was making new pads for the Rognir, same sound but deeper/more comfortable. Anyone knows if they're still coming?

Thanks

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #6,023 of 10,017
I made some brief notes on that here - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dan...iew-measurements.959214/page-79#post-16554262

I wasn't a fan of the Stealth but it might hinge on what kind of music you listen to.
You are the second person who said the stealth sounds just ok not worth $$ - I have not heard the Stealth but would like to- so I can not say -there are three others I have an eye (want to have an ear) on ...the Audeze LCD-R "psydo" ribbon the Audeze Crbn and the Stax X9000 - but for now I still think my Rognir is in the same group of top tier and for looks and heirloom quality it beats anything I know for sure- it is a treasure for me just as are my other Kennertons...
Kennert1on family.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #6,024 of 10,017
You are the second person who said the stealth sounds just ok not worth $$
I disagree. I have both Stealth and Rögnir. Stealth has a better generic tuning without dips and peaks. For metal it is not suitable out of the box, as the upper mids is not recessed, also it is not a treble bright tuning, but that is easy to change (not fix) via EQ. Also Rögnir has that dip in lower mids which kills the vocals in most cases. Not the case with Stealth. Comfort is slightly better than Rögnir, too.

But one big disadvantage: Not so easy to drive.

Sep 19, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #6,025 of 10,017
Tesla_valve_principle.svg.png

I've been refining the internal wood “chamber” tuning on the GH50JM Edition Mk2 and I am finally there where I don't think I could make it sound much better- I found this a while ago -it's called the Tesla Valve - it applies to sound waves as well as the flow of water (above pic)

(below pic) Creating some fractal patterns made from multiple layers of woven fiberglass meshing recreating the polar reflected response in diagram c) called "extruded RMD Fractal pattern" which can be found in an acoustical investigation pier paper written about sound waves for ASA (Acoustical Society of America) entitled "Numerical prediction of sound scattering from surfaces with fractal geometry" replacing the OEM acoustic fabric within the design of the Kennerton GH50 Mk2 ear cups - the pattern I created here actually de-accelerates the sound waves into a very spacious sound "meshing" unlike fabric which has a deadening narrowing effect (see diagram labeled planar surface a) - this mesh material tunes the sound waves and it comes alive due to their fractal nature- and allows pinpoint accuracy and a wider stage fooling the waves into a creating a larger than life pattern while minimizing any echo or ring in sound waves - it works better than fabric (the idea comes from using much more expensive porous/foamed aluminum similar to ones used on the back wave of the Abyss AB 1266 TC or the Meta Material used in front of the Dan Clark Stealth or the Meta material used in the KEF speakers)

D05D43A3-F1E6-4ECA-8841-2FA2F6E143FB.jpeg
Untietled.png

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #6,026 of 10,017
Thanks, mate. Appreciate it.

The MZ3 is now being UPS'd back to LTA EU (return shipment covered by LTA, thankfully). The customer service rep there told me he'd never encountered this problem and I've no reason not to believe him. Probably something freakish, though just what remains unknown. In any case, I'm now travelling for 2 weeks, so if there was a preferable time for it be fixed, then I guess this is the time.

I'll have to wait a while to hear how the Rognir pairs with the ZM3, though luckily they still sound superb directly from N6ii/A02 and C9.

Cheers.
Ahhh, I see. Hopefully, you'll have them in hand once you're back from the trip. :)

By the way, do you use headphones when you're out and about, or only IEMs? I've long entertained the idea of bringing a portable can, like the ATH-WP900 or the Cascade, when I'm commuting. However, I always end up grabbing some earphones instead; it's just so much more convenient.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,027 of 10,017
Ahhh, I see. Hopefully, you'll have them in hand once you're back from the trip. :)

By the way, do you use headphones when you're out and about, or only IEMs? I've long entertained the idea of bringing a portable can, like the ATH-WP900 or the Cascade, when I'm commuting. However, I always end up grabbing some earphones instead; it's just so much more convenient.
I’ve only worn the vmoda m-100 out in public. It’s sturdy enough and have a slim profile where it doesn’t catch much attention. Also satisfies the basshead EDM pleasure listening crave.
WP900 has such a nice glossy wood I wouldn’t watch to accidentally scratch them up moving around.
I thought about replacing the vmoda for the cascade as my goto can but couldn’t get over the funny looking headband in the head.
IEMs still the most convenient for on the go w/o attracting much attention.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #6,028 of 10,017

I was actually going over this today because it's been so long since I travelled. I was contemplating the WP900 or the JVC HA-SW01 for headphones. The JVC would probably be my choice because they have a better isolation and a better seal, and are also less fatiguing if I only have one headphone. However, they really benefit from a bit of juice.

In any case, none of them compete with the IE900 on both a technical level as well as for pure enjoyment, so they'll probably be my choice. Indeed, also way more practical.

When I had the Cascade, they never left home - you're braver than me to wear them in public!

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #6,029 of 10,017
I’ve only worn the vmoda m-100 out in public. It’s sturdy enough and have a slim profile where it doesn’t catch much attention. Also satisfies the basshead EDM pleasure listening crave.
WP900 has such a nice glossy wood I wouldn’t watch to accidentally scratch them up moving around.
I thought about replacing the vmoda for the cascade as my goto can but couldn’t get over the funny looking headband in the head.
IEMs still the most convenient for on the go w/o attracting much attention.
Good choice, indeed. Used them many times back in the normal times. The carrying case is also a bonus for travel.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #6,030 of 10,017
I disagree. I have both Stealth and Rögnir. Stealth has a better generic tuning without dips and peaks. For metal it is not suitable out of the box, as the upper mids is not recessed, also it is not a treble bright tuning, but that is easy to change (not fix) via EQ. Also Rögnir has that dip in lower mids which kills the vocals in most cases. Not the case with Stealth. Comfort is slightly better than Rögnir, too.

But one big disadvantage: Not so easy to drive.

I guess with EQ, you could certainly level the playing field between the Rognir and Stealth's tuning differences

Users who are viewing this thread

Back