Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 4, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #5,927 of 10,020
Well I understand the Rognir ear pads can tilt sound one way or the other I’m not looking for rognir to be a bass canon those types of hps don’t interest me after a few hours - seems like Rognir is balanced and that is wonderful
I’m still waiting on mine
I’m glad owners liked the sound can’t wait to hear mine soon
Exactly, balanced is the word. Rögnir isn't a "novelty" headphone (to put it crudely). It's not sold on the strength of a particular frequency but on the overall tuning and performance, which gives it greater longevity and lesser fatigue in the long run.

Sep 4, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #5,929 of 10,020
I was listening a moment ago to some vaguely EDM type music. Bass is quick, punchy, well controlled, with great extension. Definitely not lacking. But where it differs from VC is that it doesn't have the epic bass bloom that generates a lush warm low end. Rögnir is a fairly neutral listen, but that doesn't mean it's lacking.

Yeah, I notice the VC is very much capable of that low end rumble :)

What if you EQ the low end on the Rognir to boost the bass? How does it respond?

Sep 4, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #5,930 of 10,020
I remember reading a while back on the threads that originally Rognir has a fun tuning w/ more low end with their Version 1 tuning. However, the FR graph didn’t look too favorably so they made a Version 2 tuning which is more neutral and tonally correct and became the standard tuning for stock Rognir.

However if you crave a bit more low end, you can email Kennerton or Valentin and they’ll show you how to modify your Rognir back to the Version 1 w/o breaking the warranty. Should have a tweezer and 10 mins of time if memory serves correctly.

I myself opted for the Version 1 tuning with my custom set bc the majority of my music listening nowadays involves EDM and prefer a bit more oomphf in the lower end. I’m quite happy with it the bass is comparable to the VC. I figured I can always switch to a neutral tuning w/ the standard set should the need arises in the future.

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #5,931 of 10,020
I remember reading a while back on the threads that originally Rognir has a fun tuning w/ more low end with their Version 1 tuning. However, the FR graph didn’t look too favorably so they made a Version 2 tuning which is more neutral and tonally correct and became the standard tuning for stock Rognir.

However if you crave a bit more low end, you can email Kennerton or Valentin and they’ll show you how to modify your Rognir back to the Version 1 w/o breaking the warranty. Should have a tweezer and 10 mins of time if memory serves correctly.

I myself opted for the Version 1 tuning with my custom set bc the majority of my music listening nowadays involves EDM and prefer a bit more oomphf in the lower end. I’m quite happy with it the bass is comparable to the VC. I figured I can always switch to a neutral tuning w/ the standard set should the need arises in the future.

That's helpful to know, thanks! How do you like your Rognir vs your VC?

In terms of Version 1, which frequencies didn't look too favorably? Was the issue that the Version 1 tuning was more V-shaped than people like?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #5,932 of 10,020
How will you compare it to the JM Edition which well detailed and balanced as well, is it really value the extra huge cost?
It really is worth the extra cost imo. I really loved the JM but had to sell to afford the Rognir. Rognir imaging, detail, stage is really on a different level. It really does compete with the best open backs. JM is a sensational headphone for the cost. It really is a great all arounder and I would love to own it again someday, but making the leap to the Rognir was well worth it to me.

Sep 4, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #5,933 of 10,020
@duranxv I've only listened to the Rögnir once, but this is how I'd describe the differences between the 2, too. The Vérité Closed isn't as resolving as the Rögnir, but I don't think that it's trying to. The ZMF certainly offers a more musical and lush listening experience, as opposed to the quasi-neutral technical powerhouse that is the Rögnir. Both of these headphones complement each other (very) well, really.
I love my VCs and having recently acquired a Wodan (which sounds neutral to me). I am successfully (for now) resisting the siren call of the Rognir. I would however be curious how the Rognir and VC compare with the BE-2 pads on the VC (which pull the VCs in the direction of ~neutral), not so much in detail but tone?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #5,934 of 10,020
I was curious about the Vali Neoteric that Kennerton released not long ago and am surprised to see there's really no buzz about it online at all. I think I saw like one review that said it's just a bit less dynamic and thinner soundstage than the Focal Clear, but it would be nice to see more opinions. Did it just not sell well, or is it basically the same thing as the OG Vali?

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #5,935 of 10,020
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #5,936 of 10,020
I love my VCs and having recently acquired a Wodan (which sounds neutral to me), I am successfully (for now) resisting the siren call of the Rognir. I would however be curious how the Rognir and VC compare with the BE-2 pads on the VC (which pull the VCs in the direction of ~neutral), not so much in detail but tone?
I know those 2 are quite different hps but would you mind making a brief comparison between the VC and the Wodan? I own a Wodan and always been interested in the VCs. Thanks!

Sep 5, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #5,937 of 10,020
canvas.png

I wonder what version this is closest to for the Rognir

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #5,938 of 10,020
I know those 2 are quite different hps but would you mind making a brief comparison between the VC and the Wodan? I own a Wodan and always been interested in the VCs. Thanks!
The Wodans are more neutral and much faster. The low end on the VC is lush and meaty while the Wodan is tighter, faster, and perhaps a tad more detailed. The VCs emphasize the feel of an electric bass while the Wodans allow you to better hear the fingers and the strings on a standup bass as a comparison. I like how both handle treble which is to smooth off some harshness. The Wodan is again faster and perhaps a bit more crisp on things like cymbals. The mids are great on both but again for different reasons — blues vocals sound best on the VCs while vocal jazz is probably a tie but instrumental jazz mid tones I’d give to the Wodans again because of speed differences. Now, I’ve tweaked my chains to highlight the inherent differences so the VCs are paired with a Bifrost 2 (warm DAC) and an OPT amp while the Wodan is paired with a relatively fast SS amp and a Qutest.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #5,939 of 10,020
The Wodans are more neutral and much faster. The low end on the VC is lush and meaty while the Wodan is tighter, faster, and perhaps a tad more detailed. The VCs emphasize the feel of an electric bass while the Wodans allow you to better hear the fingers and the strings on a standup bass as a comparison. I like how both handle treble which is to smooth off some harshness. The Wodan is again faster and perhaps a bit more crisp on things like cymbals. The mids are great on both but again for different reasons — blues vocals sound best on the VCs while vocal jazz is probably a tie but instrumental jazz mid tones I’d give to the Wodans again because of speed differences.
Thank you very much for the comparison!
Seems that they complement each other very good then.

Sep 5, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #5,940 of 10,020
For those whos curious and wants a more fun Rognir Version 1 tuning: as you can see its less neutral/technical but definitely a more musical experience.
Graph provided by Kennerton at my request for custom tuning unit
L/R channel matching

Rognir Version 1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back