Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 20, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,806 of 10,020
I was looking at this reviewer's headphone ranking listing (Crinacle) and I thought some of the placings were odd. Is it just me or are the two Kennerton headphones (Odin and Thror) placed below the Hifiman Deva, Sennheiser HD660S and Shure SRH440 not make any sense? Many of these are not even in the same league sonically but are rated higher in tonality/technicalities.
This hobby is subjective, so is that list. A lot of the ratings makes no sense for me but it is his list.
I hate some hps that he puts a the top and love some of the ones that he has in the lowest places.

Aug 20, 2021 at 5:56 PM Post #5,807 of 10,020
although ...

Mercurius
1629496524270.png

Mooooon
1629496610118.png

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #5,810 of 10,020
The OTL work best with high ohm headsets usually like a Sennheiser HD600 which is 300 ohms or the Beyerdynamic DT150 600ohm (great cheap headphones but terrible horrible excruciating comfort and not so great dynamics) -
I asked Valentin a year ago about making an adapter for the low imediance Kennerton headphones to step up to 300+ ohms so they would work with OTL and he is still working on the idea- they may be toying with it soon again... I do know they are working on a killer crazy cable that is modular in nature...
anyway...
The gh50jm edition benefits from clean class a power like a Benchmark hpa4 or Ray Samuels Apcache or if those are too high in price as they certainly are - maybe this for $509 Singxer SA1 which is cheap!

I don’t know if the low 33ohms needs or benefits from otl design- when I tried my Bottlhead Crack SB it matched perfectly with HD600 and did not at all for any Kennerton.

I know a few users do use tubes but I never found one that I thought would match well or better than class a SS except I do know the all-tube design, Class-A, transformer-coupled, single-ended triode (SET) amplifier will work but never tried sadly. NO go on any OTL as far as I understand unless Kennerton steps up Ohms to 300 or 600 with adapter...
Understood and appreciated. Thank you @John Massaria. My ZMF Auteur are 300 ohms, wonderful with OTL but will not expect GH50 to pair well. I'd love to hear if an adapter is made available at which point the GH50 JM will be my next purchase: a high quality closed back to complement Auteur.

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:10 PM Post #5,812 of 10,020
I was looking at this reviewer's headphone ranking listing (Crinacle) and I thought some of the placings were odd. Is it just me or are the two Kennerton headphones (Odin and Thror) placed below the Hifiman Deva, Sennheiser HD660S and Shure SRH440 not make any sense? Many of these are not even in the same league sonically but are rated higher in tonality/technicalities.
Crinacle preferences are strange indeed. For instance he said the Kinera Mount Nanna 2.0 are just average and for me they are for me my favorite IEM under $1900- I fell in love with mine immediately upon hearing them- and when I brought them to friends home he said they were the best IEMs they ever heard and ordered them on the spot (a different set not mine I would not sell mines) - he (Crinacle) also said a few other things I totally disagree about- which is cool but I read his stuff and know he likes stuff I do not . For me the graphs he always refers to are nice but unless you can tell me a how graph can portray how the stage sounds or how wide the image is or how well the timing is then the review for me is restricted.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #5,813 of 10,020
Think we got some issues with the earth edition
1629496870419.png
(ah yes the "other side" of Earth for you Muricans :wink:)
The earth itself will carry on just fine until the Sun becomes a red giant and swallows it up.

Humanity, on the other hand . . .

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #5,814 of 10,020
Understood and appreciated. Thank you @John Massaria. My ZMF Auteur are 300 ohms, wonderful with OTL but will not expect GH50 to pair well. I'd love to hear if an adapter is made available at which point the GH50 JM will be my next purchase: a high quality closed back to complement Auteur.
There is one OTL that works tremendously with Gjallarhorn JM Edition: the Schiit Valhalla II. The output impedances of the Valhalla II are: 3.5 ohms at low-gain setting, 14.0 ohms at high-gain setting. The GH-JM with a 116.6 dB/V sensitivity can definitely run on the Valhalla II low-gain setting. The ‘Valhallahorn’ pairing (with NEVZ 6N6Ps and CV455 Footscrays) is glorious!
45B864AE-8100-4FD5-890A-F0E2872E0C59.jpeg

Aug 20, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #5,815 of 10,020
There is one OTL that works tremendously with Gjallarhorn JM Edition: the Schiit Valhalla II. The output impedances of the Valhalla II are: 3.5 ohms at low-gain setting, 14.0 ohms at high-gain setting. The GH-JM with a 116.6 dB/V sensitivity can definitely run on the Valhalla II low-gain setting. The ‘Valhallahorn’ pairing (with NEVZ 6N6Ps and CV455 Footscrays) is glorious!
love that Valhallahorn !!! @ !!!! that I gota try

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #5,816 of 10,020
Aug 21, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #5,820 of 10,020
Crinacle preferences are strange indeed. For instance he said the Kinera Mount Nanna 2.0 are just average and for me they are for me my favorite IEM under $1900- I fell love with immediately upon hearing them- and when I brought them to friends home he said they were the best IEMs they ever heard and ordered them on the spot (a different set not mine I would not sell mines) - he (Crinacle) also said a few other things I totally disagree about- which is cool but I read his stuff and know he likes stuff I do not . For me the graphs he always refers to are nice but unless you can tell me a how graph can portray how the stage sounds or how wide the image is or how well the timing is then the review for me is restricted.
I have the OG Kinera Nanna. It is an outstanding IEM and superb value proposition. Haven't felt the need to "upgrade" to 2.0 but I'm delighted @John Massaria it brings you joy, as my OG Nanna does for me. :smile_phones:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back