Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 24, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #5,086 of 10,017
From my point of view, as I currently own both Thekk and Wodan 2021:

Thekk
+ Rich mids (especially "intimate" vocals + acoustic guitar)
+ Quite big soundstage (comparable to Wodan but may percieved slightly bigger on certain tracks)
- Not enough high-mid frequencies (a little bit too recessed and relaxed sometimes, esp. for piano)
- More prominent cable microphonics - Wodan has suprisingly less "impact" to the earcups when touching the cable on my pair

Wodan
+ More subbass and high-mid frequencies (but not too much, just enough to be noticeable and still not harsh - good for piano)
+ More "neural", balanced so to speak, but still fun sound signature - less mid- and other range-centric on most tracks I've listened
+ Cheaper
- Slightly heavier (30-50 g difference probably)

Thekk may seem to have more complex and "meaty" sound, Wodan - more lightweight and "general-purpose".
I EQ Thekk near 5-6 kHz to +2.5 dB and near 10 kHz -2.0 dB (for less sibilant cymbals or brushes or whatever), and both Thekk and Wodan to +3.5 dB linearly in subbass (< 60 Hz).

Last edited:
May 24, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #5,088 of 10,017
Differences:
- different damping (no more details here as far).
- more neutral version (karelian birch on photos above) - memory foam pads; bass-heavy version (bubinga) - regular pads

Initial version had more bass, Kennerton team liked it, but measuments were not good, so they made more neutral balanced (and obviously with better measurments) version.
Good evening Pavel. :)

I found on the Russian forum your discussion with the developer.

https://www.dastereo.ru/t/naushniki-kennerton-i-fischer-audio/42248/340

It's in Russian, and I'm not sure I understood everything.

At the exhibition in Moscow this weekend (May 21-23) there were two versions of the Kennerton Rögnir, in a way two prototypes:
1- one with a lot of bass, but with a somewhat unbalanced frequency response (not flat to FR measurements) with "standard" pads (not perforated pads and ordinary foam) and with a specific damping to this frequency response that we'll call "bass-head" giving a rather fun and dynamic sound to the Rognir (for this particular version), but with a more banal soundstage for a closed headphone (more limited).
2- the other version, more balanced for the tone (flatter frequency response) due to the use, on the one hand of perforated pads with memory foam, and on the other hand, of a different damping adapted to this flatter and more harmonious (and "fluid") frequency response (FR). The sound would be less "fun" and less dynamic than the first version (equipped with the "standard" pads and with a different damping) and with a better opening, aeration of the sound stage (with the perforated pads with memory foam).

If I understood correctly, the Rögnir currently on sale (on Kennerton's sales web site), would be a kind of compromise of these two versions of the Rögnir presented at this High-end in Moscow this weekend, that is to say with a different damping of these two versions (intermediate between these two versions?), but taking again the "standard" pads (not perforated and in ordinary foam) of the first "bass-head" version.

Finally, if I have always understood correctly, it would be possible to make a specific order to Kennerton, either of the first "bass-head" version of the Kennerton Rögnir (presented at this exhibition), the most "fun", the most "bass-head", but the least balanced for the FR, with its specific damping reinforcing the bass and its "standard" non perforated pads, or on the contrary to make the specific order to Kennerton of the second version of the Kennerton Rögnir (presented at this exhibition , the most balanced, the most "universal", but also the least "fun", with its specific pads perforated with memory foam, and its spécific damping.

Otherwise, you'll have to be "satisfied" with the "intermediate" in stock version as currently sold in the Kennerton sales catalog. A middle ground between these two versions? (with an intermediate damping ? and with "standard" non-perforated pads and ordinary foam).

May 24, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,089 of 10,017
Good evening Pavel. :)

I found on the Russian forum your discussion with the developer.

https://www.dastereo.ru/t/naushniki-kennerton-i-fischer-audio/42248/340

It's in Russian, and I'm not sure I understood everything.

At the exhibition in Moscow this weekend (May 21-23) there were two versions of the Kennerton Rögnir, in a way two prototypes:
1- one with a lot of bass, but with a somewhat unbalanced frequency response (not flat to FR measurements) with "standard" pads (not perforated pads and ordinary foam) and with a specific damping to this frequency response that we'll call "bass-head" giving a rather fun and dynamic sound to the Rognir (for this particular version), but with a more banal soundstage for a closed headphone (more limited).
2- the other version, more balanced for the tone (flatter frequency response) due to the use, on the one hand of perforated pads with memory foam, and on the other hand, of a different damping adapted to this flatter and more harmonious (and "fluid") frequency response (FR). The sound would be less "fun" and less dynamic than the first version (equipped with the "standard" pads and with a different damping) and with a better opening, aeration of the sound stage (with the perforated pads with memory foam).

If I understood correctly, the Rögnir currently on sale (on Kennerton's sales web site), would be a kind of compromise of these two versions of the Rögnir presented at this High-end in Moscow this weekend, that is to say with a different damping of these two versions (intermediate between these two versions?), but taking again the "standard" pads (not perforated and in ordinary foam) of the first "bass-head" version.

Finally, if I have always understood correctly, it would be possible to make a specific order to Kennerton, either of the first "bass-head" version of the Kennerton Rögnir (presented at this exhibition), the most "fun", the most "bass-head", but the least balanced for the FR, with its specific damping reinforcing the bass and its "standard" non perforated pads, or on the contrary to make the specific order to Kennerton of the second version of the Kennerton Rögnir (presented at this exhibition , the most balanced, the most "universal", but also the least "fun", with its specific pads perforated with memory foam, and its spécific damping.

Otherwise, you'll have to be "satisfied" with the "intermediate" in stock version as currently sold in the Kennerton sales catalog. A middle ground between these two versions? (with an intermediate damping ? and with "standard" non-perforated pads and ordinary foam).
Actually the Basshead Version would be very interesting to me.
One part of me wants to ask for one via Email, but the part of me that is friends with my wallet is against it...

May 24, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #5,091 of 10,017
Actually the Basshead Version would be very interesting to me.
One part of me wants to ask for one via Email, but the part of me that is friends with my wallet is against it...
As I mused some time ago, “is the regret of not buying greater than the regret of buying?”...

May 25, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #5,092 of 10,017
Do you mind elaborate a bit on why you don’t like the Thekk? It’s the only higher-end Kennerton I don’t have and I’m weighting on opinions about it.
Like or dislike – subjective matters, so, some details from this point of view. I have 2 dislike streams

1) I do not like this type of coloration. Don’t get me wrong – generally I’m more “neutral and natural”-profile sort of audiophile (so i.e. Thrors are real TOTL in my opinion), but also can appreciate high euphonic coloration (so i.e. LCD-4 one of my favorites). But with Thekk’s kind of coloration I had a bad history before and do not like it now.
2) I do not like Thekk as potential new mainstream for new line of Kennerton products. “Classic” line of Odin-Thridi-Thror has it’s own very distinctive “house sound”. In Thekk, for now, alas, I do not see enough personality for new “house sound”. So with Thekk, I’m afraid, we enter R&D trial and error period.

And please don’t get mistaken – I don’t consider Thekk “bad headphones”, actually they’re good high end product. But obviously they’re not “made for me” )

May 25, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #5,093 of 10,017
Like or dislike – subjective matters, so, some details from this point of view. I have 2 dislike streams

1) I do not like this type of coloration. Don’t get me wrong – generally I’m more “neutral and natural”-profile sort of audiophile (so i.e. Thrors are real TOTL in my opinion), but also can appreciate high euphonic coloration (so i.e. LCD-4 one of my favorites). But with Thekk’s kind of coloration I had a bad history before and do not like it now.
2) I do not like Thekk as potential new mainstream for new line of Kennerton products. “Classic” line of Odin-Thridi-Thror has it’s own very distinctive “house sound”. In Thekk, for now, alas, I do not see enough personality for new “house sound”. So with Thekk, I’m afraid, we enter R&D trial and error period.

And please don’t get mistaken – I don’t consider Thekk “bad headphones”, actually they’re good high end product. But obviously they’re not “made for me” )
Could you describe the Thekk coloration subject in more detail, from your impression?

May 25, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #5,094 of 10,017

I too enjoy the Odin, Thridi, Thror house sound. It seems like a lot of headphone manufacturers are tuning for more bass/ midbass.
Audiophile neutral tuning is a small market share I'm sure.
Great that Kennerton, and others, offer different pads to modify the sound.
I recently swapped out my stock pads on Aeon Open for Dekoni Hybrids. Made midbass heavy tuning much more neutral.
Cheers

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 5:00 AM Post #5,095 of 10,017

Hi Pavel.

I respect your tastes which are not necessarily mine or that of others.

So let's talk about other tastes and other people who are familiar with Kennerton headphones (and others totl headphones), too.

Pierre Paya (french importer of Kennerton products), prefers (quite clearly) the Thekk to the Thror, which is his favorite open planar headphone (all brands of open planar headphones combined:Audeze, Final Audio, Meze), just after the Hifiman Susvara.

Former Kennerton engineer Max preferred the Thekk to the Thror for sound (and listening pleasure). And this is not a development and casting error.
The Thekk was developed by Kennerton after the Thror, taking into account the experience gained with the Thror.
The Thekk was designed to be different from the Thror (with which it shares the same "carbon" planar driver) to make it more euphonious and pleasant to listen to than the Thror, whose austerity of sound and lack of flavor, even coldness, could put off some.
Certainly, the Thekk, more colored than the Thror (more colorless see insipid), does not have the same degree of coloration and flavor as the Odin (even more colored and tasty in the medium than the Thekk), but it largely exceeds it in terms of technicality: aeration of the sound scene, precision, speed, distortions, without counting the difference in weight and comfort between the Odin mk2 and the Thekk (day and night between these two headphones).

I gave to a friend my Odin mk2 that I didn't listen to anymore compared to the Thekk that became my main headphones.
The Odin mk2 being for my ear too colorful, not precise enough, not aerated enough, a little slow in the bass, and even too heavy to wear on long listening periods. Moreover the treble of the Odin is too grainy, not fine enough.
The Thror's treble is better, but I find the Thekk's even more refined.
Above all, what I appreciate the most about the Thekk compared to the Thror, two headphones of the same technicality, in addition to the slightly superior aeration, is its extra mid bass and the fullness of its timbres, denser and more consistent than those of the Thror, which does not give enough body to voices and string instruments.

All this, of course, is my personal assessment of these three Kennerton headphones.

To conclude, Kennerton's ex-engineer Max jokingly said, regarding the Thror and the Odin mk2, that he would use the Thror for work (for its Germanic rigor), but that he would use the Odin on weekends, for fun.

Well, in my opinion, I don't use either of these two headphones on a daily basis (although I know them very well): I only use the Thekk, and every day of the week!

The only headphone that might change my mind (if I get it) is the Rögnir.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #5,098 of 10,017
I've read few comments that Rögnir has so shallow earpads that the ears are touching the drivers. Anyone experience this?
Yes, my ears too, during a few minutes listening session.

May 25, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #5,099 of 10,017

Thank you very much. I really appreciate and respect your opinion, and do understand fully that it's not product bashing but rather preference matching.

I personally dislike many many good products. Well, my another hobby is dress-shoes .... which is probably even more obvious .... I dislike many many perfectly good shoes .... just because their lasts (the wooden shape that use to form shape of shoes) and my feet disagree.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #5,100 of 10,017
I've read few comments that Rögnir has so shallow earpads that the ears are touching the drivers. Anyone experience this?
😜🤣

Attachments

• gettyimages-161144818-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-161144818-612x612.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back