Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 19, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #5,041 of 9,926
I think the Vérité Closed is about a grand less than the Rognir. From the Kennertons and ZMF I've tried, I would expect them to have pretty differentiated presentations.

Getting dangerously close to ordering a Rognir, someone talk me down!
Do it, get the Rögnir!
Oh wait I screwed that one up...

May 19, 2021 at 5:24 PM Post #5,042 of 9,926
Hi,

and for the Metal Symphonic genre of music, what is the Rögnir worth compared to your Abyss?

Otherwise, do you appreciate the difference in weight between these two headphones?
I love all the melodic metal (don't like at all the extreme metal). Sometimes, I listen to some classic heavy or power metal (Iron Maiden, Rage, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Mägo de Oz or Warcry) and these bands sound phenomenal with my Denon AH-D9200s.

For Gothic or Doom metal bands (bands like Draconian, Theatre of Tragedy, Silentium, Sentenced, Haggard, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, The sins of the beloved, Tristania, Epica or After Forever...) that I listen to more frequently, I use my repurchased DT 1990 Pros and I like/love those bands with them (in some albums I prefer the Denons). I wonder if a good closed planar would suit those bands better. Abyss are above my max budget and are open cans (I have read that they are going to release a closed planar, but I think that will be above my budget).
I approach the subject of performance with bias, as I feel metal can encompass all important characteristics that translate well to other genres.

With that said, I'd find symphonic metal more opera'd in nature with focus on fast guitar, heavy bass with orchestral structures. I'd surmise much male clean vocals and generally very clean falsetto type.

So I may break down strategic category: flying blind, I surmise this genre offers a strong focus on production quality and dynamic range, as such the venue/space are likely a big part of the productions and landscape. Abyss would exceed the Rognirs ability to allow for such grand presentations.
Conversely as the vocal sets are clean against fast guitars that I might lend crunchy, and heavy bass, the vocal range / extensions could lend themselves to sibilance which would be ameliorated with the Rognir and often problematic with Abyss.

As to appreciating the physical weight difference?

Yes. No.

The weight is apparent with the Rognir feeling very light, however, I still find the ear pad depth such an annoyance.
The Abyss no doubt feels more heavy, but also simply fortified in engineering. The Rognir does feel cheap.

The big caveat is with the new headband the Abyss is 100% a top 5 in comfort headphone for me. Whether you prefer to have a slight seal or tighter coupling, the way that headband just floats with tension is ingenious.

Terriero, I, too, am curious about the Abyss Closed and feel even more confident they could engineer close to the TC quality. And I get the price thing.

I feel value is a little too arbitrary, these absolutely outperform the Verite Closed -- offer equal and superior craftmanship but I would have liked to see the price at $3200.

$3600 is too much for a closed with comparative concessions to the open competition.

I, do however, feel presenting the Rognir in a more direct comparison to the Abyss shows, it is quite a performer.

I'm hard pressed to find complaints regarding the actual sound quality.

May 19, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #5,043 of 9,926
To be fair... To compare a closed back to open back is saying something very positive in Rognir favor... it competes with the very best out there at this time but is less money less weight and is more private!
A better comparison would be the awful attempt by Hifiman HE-R10P closed back planar priced at $5499 which I understand sounds terrible for the money or even half the price.
To say a closed back should be priced lower than $3600 I just do not get that logic- where does that logic come from if it performs and people desire a closed back that sounds private and has a stage similar to an open back - that to me is worth more- since I can use it around family without worry of interrupting them or can be used as a monitor headphone during recording sessions so there is no bleed through to mics - a huge plus for close backs and engineers in studios and live recording sessions...
A Basic Phi TC $4,995.00 can cost $6000! vs Rognir $3,470
Abyss Phi TC is 1.5 lbs vs Kennerton Rognir .89 lbs

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #5,044 of 9,926
To be fair... To compare the closed back to open back is saying something very positive in Rognir favor... it competes with the very best out there at this time but is less money less weight and is more private!
A better comparison would be the aweful attempt by Hifiman HE-R10P closed back planar priced at $5499 which I understand sounds terrible for the money or even half the price.
To say a closed back should be priced lower than $3600 I just do not get that logic- where does that logic come from if it performs and people desire a closed back that sounds private and has a stage similar to an open back - that to me is worth more- since I can use it around family without worry of interrupting them or can be used as a monitor headphone during recording sessions so there is no bleed through to mics - a huge plus for close backs and engineers in studios and live recording sessions...
A Basic Phi TC $4,995.00 can cost $6000! vs Rognir $3,470
Abyss Phi TC is 1.5 lbs vs Kennerton Rognir .89 lbs
True. Rognir compares favorably.

I will need to measure, but these leak a terrible amount of sound. They isolate well though.

The logic on my side comes from ignoring contextual circumstance.
I don't care if it's mass production, boutique, open, closed, aluminum, wood, planar, electrostat, it is, in the end, a driver that produces sound.

The Abyss is $4k with the right contacts. The Verite is $2500. Rognir felt comfy at $3200.

Pretty sound logic somewhere in there. :wink:

May 19, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #5,045 of 9,926

I will need to measure, but these leak a terrible amount of sound. They isolate well though.

I don't care if it's mass production, boutique, open, closed, aluminum, wood, planar, electrostat, it is, in the end, a driver that produces sound.

The Abyss is $4k with the right contacts. The Verite is $2500. Rognir felt comfy at $3200.

Well with the right contacts a Kennerton could come significantly cheaper as well, so this is sort of an unrealistic comparison

May 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #5,046 of 9,926
Well with the right contacts a Kennerton could come significantly cheaper as well, so this is sort of an unrealistic comparison
That is fair. If applicable, in actuality. All of my friends attained their TC for $4k. Did. Not could maybe.

And I don't agree in it being unrealistic, the perception of value is arbitrary to begin which I also pointed out.

May 19, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #5,047 of 9,926
100% agree with your logic of so called contact discounts they are all things being equal asking price to asking price is $3400 vs $5,000 - still relative in discounts - but what I was saying for me the price of a Rognir is very resonable being it potentially beats the more expensive options and IS CLOSED BACK which for me is vital but the elephant in the room is the weight is still nearly half and not sure if any contacts can shave the weight off or make the Abyss leak less or even close to a Rognir -
a better competition would be the failed closed back planar design HE-R10P at $5499 - either way you slice it Rognir weighs less, sounds nearly as good (according to you and others who mentioned it here) if not better since it's not as clinical as Abyss - is a lot less $$ than both - all a win for designers at Kennerton - congrats!

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #5,048 of 9,926
100% agree with your logic of so called contact discounts they are all things being equal asking price to asking price is $3400 vs $5,000 - but the elephant in the room is the weight is still nearly half and not sure if any contacts can shave the weight off or make the Abyss leak less or even close to a Rognir -
a better competition would be the failed closed back planar design HE-R10P at $5499 - either way you slice it Rognir weighs less, sounds nearly as good if not better since it's not a clinical as Abyss - is a lot less $$ than both
I mean, the Rognir sounds good to my ears. You haven't yet heard them so that's strong conjecture, bud. :wink:

In any event, I don't value costs or leakage or isolation or weight. I evaluate first the sound quality and work down.

May 19, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #5,049 of 9,926
I mean, the Rognir sounds good to my ears. You haven't yet heard them so that's strong conjecture, bud. :wink:

In any event, I don't value costs or leakage or isolation or weight. I evaluate first the sound quality and work down.
I just updated- and corrected above- let the reviews continue- im excited

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #5,050 of 9,926
I think the Vérité Closed is about a grand less than the Rognir. From the Kennertons and ZMF I've tried, I would expect them to have pretty differentiated presentations.

Getting dangerously close to ordering a Rognir, someone talk me down!

No. Don't get it. I repeat. "Do Not".

You'll only miss one of the best 'fun-sounding' headphones I've ever heard in my entire life, with one of the best build-quality in my collection.

Last edited:
May 20, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #5,051 of 9,926

Hi.

In Europe, in France, with taxes, the price of the Abyss Phi TC is € 5,450.00; Deluxe version: € 6450; Complete version with Superconductor cable: € 8,590.
https://www.casques-headphones.com/portefeuille/Abyss-Phi-TC-p195280514

In Europe, in France, with taxes, the price of the Rognir with its super Custom cable is "only" €3,390.00 ie 2.5 x cheaper than the last full version Abyss Phi TC with Superconductor cable!
https://www.casques-headphones.com/portefeuille/Kennerton-Rögnir-p352847825

Last edited:
May 21, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #5,053 of 9,926
Hello to all.

Did you know that there was a Kennerton sales site for the Russian market?

Yes, probably; on the Russian Kennerton site the prices are indicated in ruble and adapted to the Russian market.

But did you know that the descriptions of these Kennerton headphones were slightly different between the Russian site (https://kennerton.store/catalog/headphones/) and the international Kennerton site (https://kennerton.org/shop/headphones/)?

An "international" ear having a priori no reason to hear a headphone differently from a Russian ear (from Moscow or St Petersburg), I have reported here the descriptions of the Thekk and the Rognir, as described on the Russian site by Kennerton (after google translate).

DESCRIPTION (Kennerton Thekk)
The Thekk is one of the lightest full-size High-End isodynamic headphones on the market, with a full 80mm Russian-made honeycomb diaphragm.
Conceived as an ultimative and reference version for studio and home use, the Thekk allows you to forget about everything around you.
Highest sonic fidelity, natural tonal tuning and no distortion with low amplifier power requirements.

At the heart of the design is an 80mm kapton diaphragm with a unique "honeycomb" structure that protects the diaphragm from stretching and distortion under active use and reduces distortion under high amp power requirements.
The driver casing is made of carbon fiber, which greatly reduces the weight of the driver and the headphones as a whole (compared to Kennerton Odin and Kennerton Thridi).

The ear cushions are designed to provide ample ventilation for your ears and the driver itself.
The fill material makes the ear cushions both soft enough for extended listening and dense enough to maintain the correct distance from your ear to the driver.
The weight of the headphones can vary depending on the specific wood
Lightweight design, self-adjusting headband and genuine leather ear cushions provide superior comfort for long-lasting listening. Comes in a practical and comfortable semi-rigid case made of high-quality eco-leather.
Source: https://kennerton.store/product/kennerton_thekk_dusk.html

DESCRIPTION (Kennerton Rognir)
The Kennerton Rognir is the first magnetic-planar closed-ear headphones that our company produced. We have experimented and prototyped a lot and after years of development we are ready to show you.

A advanced carbon planar driver with a reinforced kapton diaphragm, specifically designed and developed for these headphones, delivers a perfectly-proportioned soundstage, and unprecedented accuracy in capturing the emotion of your favorite tracks.
The focus is on detail and resolution, without compromising on the full spectrum of the widest frequency range, and the scene appears extremely open and multi-layered.
Rognir is a near-perfect tonal balance that is very difficult to find in other planar closed-ear headphones. Due to the advanced technology used in the headphone driver, as well as the specially designed wooden cups, made exclusively from rare and expensive wood species, Rognir exhibits a perfect synthesis of design and technical excellence in sound.

Design is also key, both in terms of comfort and aesthetics.
We use natural materials such as steel, aluminum, genuine leather and precious woods for the most refined look.
Comfort is facilitated by the self-tuning headband in a new and improved design, as well as natural leather ear cushions, which together ensure a flawless fit, regardless of the shape and size of the listener's face and head.
Source: https://kennerton.store/product/kennerton_rognir__bubinga_.html

EDIT: The Rognir is currently being used at the Moscow Hi-end show (21-23 May) in two versions (one so-called "fun" or "bassier" (with more bass) (probably with the stock non-perforated pads) and the other so-called "correct or straight" (probably with the alternative micro-perforated pads). Both versions seem very musical.
Source: https://www.dastereo.ru/t/naushniki-kennerton-i-fischer-audio/42248/294

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #5,054 of 9,926
Good morning all.

Kennerton guys are having a blast at the current High-end in Moscow expo (May 21-23).

We thus discover the very first "Mouth Audio" (intraoral earpiece), a world first! :beyersmile:

21052206405723553817428525.jpg

with the following description on the Russian forum (after google translation) (SPOILER)

"Business idea
"Mouth Audio"

Developer: **************************
Phone 8913 *********
email ridva____ov@gmail.com
Bk https://vk.com/na_____van a

Idea
Create a special model of headphones that will be worn on the inside of a person's cheek, i.e. over the mouth. The sound of music will take place in a human void. This will increase the effect of a person's immersion in music.

Last name
Since this electronic device will be worn on the mouth, it is proposed to name this invention "Mouth Audio".
Mouth - (Meuz) is translated as mouth.
Audio - (Audio) is translated as sound.
Mouth Audio - Audio of the mouth.
In the Russian market, this invention is proposed to be called "nartniki" Narrators, that is, put on the mouth.

Goal
Increase the rate of a person's involvement in music. A person will be completely immersed in an atmosphere of satisfaction, which will largely relax a person, in general, that is why he listens to music, a person.

Objectives For
dispel stereotypical use of headphones
Reinstall, create mouthpieces (Mouth Audio)
Product sales

Main characteristics and composition of the elements. Waterproof
cordless Made of water repellent material. The main material is rubber, polymer, for softness. The metal is stainless. Micro speakers.

The Mouth Audio security (handkerchief) will be housed in a special box. Inside the box, ultraviolet lamps will be placed which will emit ultraviolet light, this is to destroy bacteria and microbes that land on the surface of the populists during their operation.

Application
We propose to release a pilot version of the product.

Waiting
The growth of the popularity of the products will be in 2 stages
1 step, familiarity with the products, public recognition.
Stage 2, mass consumption of new products. I bring you a whole new model of headphones, as well as a whole new way to use this invention. I want to work with you. I myself am from Tomsk, student of NR TSU, 4th year "
Source: https://www.dastereo.ru/t/naushniki-kennerton-i-fischer-audio/42248/313

More seriously, during this Russian Hi-end exhibition in Moscow of Kennerton headphones, we find on the Russian forum opinions concerning the two versions of the Kennerton Rögnir presented at the exhibition: one called "fun" or "bassier" (with more bass) with a more V-shaped FR (probably with the original non-perforated pads) and the other so-called "correct" or "straight" (for the FR) or "good" (probably with the alternative perforated pads). Both versions sound very musical.

New link to follow on the russian forum: https://www.dastereo.ru/t/naushniki-kennerton-i-fischer-audio/42248/307

Have a good weekend, and for the guys from Kennerton currently in Moscow, a very good High-end show. :)

EDIT: Current High-end Show in Moscow (21-23 may) (pics)

21052208163423553817428533.jpg

21052208163323553817428531.jpg

21052208163323553817428532.jpg

Last edited:
May 22, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #5,055 of 9,926
@paradoxper

Hi.

I had seen that you had posted a sale listing for your Rögnirs.

In the case that that would be alright for you for me to enquire, I would be interested to know of why you had decided that you now would sell your Rögnirs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back