Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 18, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #5,026 of 10,018

A reference track I use to unravel resolution and low-level retrieval as there are rhythm changes, high vocal with off-timing depth.

Soundscape is closed-in and open for a closed-back -- just don't expect that endless breathe of an Abyss to present space with no border.
Very good left to right separation with exact imaging / placements.

Perfect bass to mid to treble integration -- this, with, exceptional imaging makes for resolution that is world-class for a closed headphone.
It is still rather impressive how well balanced and articulate the entire spectrum presents.

Comparatively the Abyss presents textures and images in a more substantial, bodied manner -- they're just in your face, apparent no matter your current attention span.
This giving off a slight haze to the Rognir and well, everything not named SR1a, 009, Susvara.

The more stark difference is the Abyss mid to treble integration being a little cold and then a little more brittle with the Rognir maintaining pretty astonishing balance in timbre and over-all smoothness without conceding detail or extension.

A clear mid recession with the Abyss that pulls you out/away from the music where the Rognir seduces you not unlike the 009 while presenting more natural / uncolored.

The always punching bass of the Rognir is just plain fun although it doesn't plumb the depths of subterranean when called upon as the Abyss does.

May 18, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #5,027 of 10,018

A reference track I use to unravel resolution and low-level retrieval as there are rhythm changes, high vocal with off-timing depth.

Soundscape is closed-in and open for a closed-back -- just don't expect that endless breathe of an Abyss to present space with no border.
Very good left to right separation with exact imaging / placements.

Perfect bass to mid to treble integration -- this, with, exceptional imaging makes for resolution that is world-class for a closed headphone.
It is still rather impressive how well balanced and articulate the entire spectrum presents.

Comparatively the Abyss presents textures and images in a more substantial, bodied manner -- they're just in your face, apparent no matter your current attention span.
This giving off a slight haze to the Rognir and well, everything not named SR1a, 009, Susvara.

The more stark difference is the Abyss mid to treble integration being a little cold and then a little more brittle with the Rognir maintaining pretty astonishing balance in timbre and over-all smoothness without conceding detail or extension.

A clear mid recession with the Abyss that pulls you out/away from the music where the Rognir seduces you not unlike the 009 while presenting more natural / uncolored.

The always punching bass of the Rognir is just plain fun although it doesn't plumb the depths of subterranean when called upon as the Abyss does.

Thanks a lot for your impressions and Abyss comparison. Do you listen to metal with your Abyss? (they are reported to be one of the best headphones for that genre). How Rögnir behaves with metal? (the sub-genre that I listen most is "gothic")

May 18, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #5,028 of 10,018
Thanks a lot for your impressions and Abyss comparison. Do you listen to metal with your Abyss? (they are reported to be one of the best headphones for that genre). How Rögnir behaves with metal? (the sub-genre that I listen most is "gothic")
I only (or exactly primarily prefer progessive/rock/metal/technical/death/black--metals.

Do let me know if you have a reference in mind to touch on and I'll do my absolute best to tolerate and enumerate on.

Abyss can't be touched for electronic/EDM/metal subs. Simply.

May 19, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #5,029 of 10,018
Purple Heart family.
It's one of my favorite woods for headphones.

DSC_1824-2.jpg

May 19, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #5,030 of 10,018
Purple Heart family.
It's one of my favorite woods for headphones.

Magnificent! :)

For memory on my part, the Kennerton family of headphones that I bought in Karelian birch are currently limited to three headphones, in the hope of course of getting a fourth, and not least, the custom Rognir in Karelian birch natural lacquer (note: I am waiting for news from Valentin for this custom order).

By purchase order:

Kennerton Odin mk2 personalized (custom) (lacquered Karelian birch).
Kennerton Magni mk2 (karelian birch).
Kennerton Thekk personalized (custom) (SN001) (stabilized Karelian birch "two-tone").

18101304002423553815940390.jpg

Odin mk2 -early (equipped with the old pads, of the Odin mk1) (lacquered Karelian birch).

21051910393823553817423799.jpg

Custom suspension headband of this early Odin mk2.

19082201311523553816370515.jpg

Magni V2 (Karelian birch).

19120511022223553816542941.jpg

Thekk (custom) (stabilized Karelian birch "two-tone").

Last edited:
May 19, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #5,031 of 10,018
I only (or exactly primarily prefer progessive/rock/metal/technical/death/black--metals.

Do let me know if you have a reference in mind to touch on and I'll do my absolute best to tolerate and enumerate on.

Hi,

and for the Metal Symphonic genre of music, what is the Rögnir worth compared to your Abyss?

Otherwise, do you appreciate the difference in weight between these two headphones?

May 19, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #5,032 of 10,018
Magnificent! :)

For memory on my part, the Kennerton family of headphones that I bought in Karelian birch are currently limited to three headphones, in the hope of course of getting a fourth, and not least, the custom Rognir in Karelian birch natural lacquer (note: I am waiting for news from Valentin for this custom order).

By purchase order:

Kennerton Odin mk2 personalized (custom) (lacquered Karelian birch).
Kennerton Magni mk2 (karelian birch).
Kennerton Thekk personalized (custom) (SN001) (stabilized Karelian birch "two-tone").

18101304002423553815940390.jpg

Odin mk2 -early (equipped with the old pads, of the Odin mk1) (lacquered Karelian birch).

21051910393823553817423799.jpg

Custom suspension headband of this early Odin mk2.

19082201311523553816370515.jpg

Magni V2 (Karelian birch).

19120511022223553816542941.jpg

Thekk (custom) (stabilized Karelian birch "two-tone").
I’m gonna get stabilized Karelian Birch for the Thekk most probably. Whenever my wallet is ready.

May 19, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #5,033 of 10,018
I’m gonna get stabilized Karelian Birch for the Thekk most probably. Whenever my wallet is ready.
Hi Dave.

It's a very worthwhile project, and I don't think you are disappointed. :)

The same color as your beautiful Gjallarhorn JM Edition (blue) ?

11377579.jpg

And with a personalization for the head-band (like Wodan custom or like Rögnir) ?

May 19, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #5,035 of 10,018

I love all the melodic metal (don't like at all the extreme metal). Sometimes, I listen to some classic heavy or power metal (Iron Maiden, Rage, Stratovarius, Nightwish, Mägo de Oz or Warcry) and these bands sound phenomenal with my Denon AH-D9200s.

For Gothic or Doom metal bands (bands like Draconian, Theatre of Tragedy, Silentium, Sentenced, Haggard, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, The sins of the beloved, Tristania, Epica or After Forever...) that I listen to more frequently, I use my repurchased DT 1990 Pros and I like/love those bands with them (in some albums I prefer the Denons). I wonder if a good closed planar would suit those bands better. Abyss are above my max budget and are open cans (I have read that they are going to release a closed planar, but I think that will be above my budget).

May 19, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #5,036 of 10,018
Here is a reply from Kennerton to my inquiry of making the Rognir headband an accessory to the Gjallarhorn / Gjallarhorn JM Edition:
3EA72C22-BA45-45CE-81D2-0C67DB9BCF32.jpeg

May 19, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #5,040 of 10,018
are closed back flagships at roughly the same price
I think the Vérité Closed is about a grand less than the Rognir. From the Kennertons and ZMF I've tried, I would expect them to have pretty differentiated presentations.

Getting dangerously close to ordering a Rognir, someone talk me down!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back