Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #4,202 of 10,020
Yes I would agree but they are not as intricate in the details like using match leathers etc so for me the combination of materials gives the lead to Kennerton

Jan 7, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #4,204 of 10,020
ZMF is the only other brand that belongs in that conversation, IMHO
Audio-Technica, Denon, and Fostex produce some really beautiful headphones, too. I prefer the finish of the wood cups on the Japanese headphones than the ones used on the ZMF cans, though. Either way, these brands, and Kennerton, of course, are makers of the finest looking and sounding headphones on the planet. :)

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #4,205 of 10,020
To come back to the Rögnir, sincerely hope Kennerton will reach the top with this high end closed back as it is not easy at all to obtain an high end sound with a real closed back with planar drivers, up to now it seems that none could succeed properly and obtain a model being on the top 3 best closed back on the market.

Jan 7, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #4,206 of 10,020
To come back to the Rögnir, sincerely hope Kennerton will reach the top with this high end closed back as it is not easy at all to obtain an high end sound with a real closed back with planar drivers, up to now it seems that none could succeed properly and obtain a model being on the top 3 best closed back on the market.
I surely hope that it is amazing. Like Hifiman He-R10P sound quality, but with Kennerton build quality.
That would be one hell of a closed back.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #4,207 of 10,020
I surely hope that it is amazing. Like Hifiman He-R10P sound quality, but with Kennerton build quality.
That would be one hell of a closed back.
Sorry, out of curiosity, have you tried the HE-R10P?

I'm moderately interested in auditioning the HiFiMan headphone, but it's not something that figures very heavily in my "To Try" list for 2021. The whole debacle featuring its design, and the supposed "homage" has thoroughly dampened my interest. Still, if it sounds good, it sounds good, am I right? :)

On the other hand, I'm a lot more stoked for the dynamic version of the HE-R10.

Jan 7, 2021 at 8:26 AM Post #4,208 of 10,020
Sorry, out of curiosity, have you tried the HE-R10P?

I'm moderately interested in auditioning the HiFiMan headphone, but it's not something that figures very heavily in my "To Try" list for 2021. The whole debacle featuring its design, and the supposed "homage" has thoroughly dampened my interest. Still, if it sounds good, it sounds good, am I right? :)

On the other hand, I'm a lot more stoked for the dynamic version of the HE-R10.
Unfortunately I couldn't try it so far.

I "volunteered" in the loaner tour thread, so maybe in the future. The sound reviews were positive so far, but that headband and one sided cable just makes it look and feel cheap. Not worthy of a flagship, especially at this price point.

Therefore even if it sounds excellent, it is not at the top of my list. There are headphones like the T+A Solitaire P and Audeze LCD-4 still coming first.
Or the Kennerton Rögnir, depending on sound impressions.

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #4,209 of 10,020
Audio-Technica, Denon, and Fostex produce some really beautiful headphones, too. I prefer the finish of the wood cups on the Japanese headphones than the ones used on the ZMF cans, though. Either way, these brands, and Kennerton, of course, are makers of the finest looking and sounding headphones on the planet. :)
Apart from Kennerton, I'm also a fan of Audio Technica (I lived in Japan for almost 10 years prior to 2005, by the way).

DSC_0268.jpg

Among this, the ATH-W300ANV has a special place in my heart, along side my Odin Mk2.

The finish on this particular model is really special. Traditional Japanese piece of art.

DSC_1067.jpg

Yes, I do collect wood headphones :)

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #4,211 of 10,020
Unfortunately I couldn't try it so far.

I "volunteered" in the loaner tour thread, so maybe in the future. The sound reviews were positive so far, but that headband and one sided cable just makes it look and feel cheap. Not worthy of a flagship, especially at this price point.

Therefore even if it sounds excellent, it is not at the top of my list. There are headphones like the T+A Solitaire P and Audeze LCD-4 still coming first.
Or the Kennerton Rögnir, depending on sound impressions.
I wanted to be in on the loaner tour, too; it's a shame that they've limited the regions to North America and Europe. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to wait to try them out in the stores when they arrive (hopefully soon). :)

I agree with what you've said about the HE-R10P; as promising as the early impressions are, the headphone reeks of bad taste and poor build. It doesn't even look like a $1,000 headphone, let alone one that's over 5 grand! HiFiMan could have easily devoted a portion of its astronomical price tag into improving its aesthetics.

Certainly, the Rögnir offers a far more compelling visual package - it screams, "Look at me, you heathens!" The HE-R10P on the other hand, just meekly squeals, "I'm not a Sony...".

Jan 7, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #4,212 of 10,020
Apart from Kennerton, I'm also a fan of Audio Technica (I lived in Japan for almost 10 years prior to 2005, by the way).

DSC_0268.jpg

Among this, the ATH-W300ANV has a special place in my heart, along side my Odin Mk2.

The finish on this particular model is really special. Traditional Japanese piece of art.

DSC_1067.jpg

Yes, I do collect wood headphones :)
Your collection is very impression, my friend! I've always admired the Audio-Technica woodies - they are stunning!

My dad used to work for Audio-Technica in my formative years, and he often brought home samples and demo units of the company's headphones. I remember several wood-cupped ones lying about the house. It's a shame that I wasn't an audiophile back then, but it was my dad who sowed the seeds of my fascination for quality audio.

Jan 7, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #4,213 of 10,020
The black headphone headband cover is in place to damp the Gjallarhorn “cantilever” plus one Dekoni nugget (left over from RAD-0 project). So when I wear the GH, as the lower headband approaches the cantilever, the nugget provides additional damping. Touching the back of the earcups results in only a full non-resonant “thud”. Now for a few hours of 🎼 🎶 (chores are done).310B0E87-D9B5-4CBC-B609-74F5BFF7D180.jpeg

Jan 7, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #4,214 of 10,020
Jan 7, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #4,215 of 10,020
The black headphone headband cover is in place to damp the Gjallarhorn “cantilever” plus one Dekoni nugget (left over from RAD-0 project). So when I wear the GH, as the lower headband approaches the cantilever, the nugget provides additional damping. Touching the back of the earcups results in only a full non-resonant “thud”. Now for a few hours of 🎼 🎶 (chores are done).310B0E87-D9B5-4CBC-B609-74F5BFF7D180.jpeg
I like that tweak!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back