Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #4,172 of 10,020
Hi Dave.

I wasn't quite sure about the first Kennerton headphones you bought, so I wrote "if I'm not wrong" as a precaution.

What I know is that you bought "at least" 1 Kennerton Odin mk1 headphone, 2 Kennerton Odin mk2, 3 Magister, 2 Vali (now called "old Vali"), 1 Magni V1, 1 Thror, and a Gjallarhorn JM Edition, without going into details about the wood species, each one more beautiful (and rare) than the other.

Well, in fact, there was only 1 Magister. The other two are Fischer Audio FA-003Ti with wood cups. Thought technically, they are more alike than different.

(For those who don’t know/aren’t aware; Kennerton is Fischer Audio’s luxury/higher-end brand).

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #4,173 of 10,020
I'm interested in the brand a whole so I enjoy this general thread and think a name like Kennerton Fan Club makes sense. I also see a benefit in having some more specific threads that will serve as better archive for folks seeking specific info. I know I often review older threads for products I'm interested in to get detailed information and opinions. Having one thread per model seems like overkill so I like the proposal of Planars, Dynamics, and IEMs.

Open, Closed, and IEMs would be the other way to go but I think the way the pricing breaks out with Planars at the higher end the the previous model is better.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #4,174 of 10,020
If anyone is willing, I’d love to hear more impressions of the Wodan. I’ve heard some conflicting opinions on it. Some have said it’s bright and others have said it’s very smooth with a little rolled-off treble. Any new owners care to offer their opinion? Thanks!

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #4,175 of 10,020
If anyone is willing, I’d love to hear more impressions of the Wodan. I’ve heard some conflicting opinions on it. Some have said it’s bright and others have said it’s very smooth with a little rolled-off treble. Any new owners care to offer their opinion? Thanks!
I’m one of those new owners of a Wodan. I don’t think it has rolled off treble at all. It’s a pretty dynamic sounding headphone, with a lush midrange, good treble detail and clarity, and a punchy low end with nice sub bass presence and extension. Overall, it has a slightly warm and detailed sound signature that puts me in mind of my LCD-4z’s and Ether 2 headphones.

It’s very balanced from top to bottom. For me it sounds better with an all silver cable. The silver cable enhances everything good about the Wodan’s. It also livens up sound, brings out more treble details, tightens up the bass response and add some bass definition. It a great headphone in my opinion.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #4,176 of 10,020
I’m one of those new owners of a Wodan. I don’t think it has rolled off treble at all. It’s a pretty dynamic sounding headphone, with a lush midrange, good treble detail and clarity, and a punchy low end with nice sub bass presence and extension. Overall, it has a slightly warm and detailed sound signature that puts me in mind of my LCD-4z’s and Ether 2 headphones.

It’s very balanced from top to bottom. For me it sounds better with an all silver cable. The silver cable enhances everything good about the Wodan’s. It also livens up sound, brings out more treble details, tightens up the bass response and add some bass definition. It a great headphone in my opinion.

Is there any grain in the upper mids or treble area that you notice? Or do you find it doesn’t accentuate any sibilance in the track?

I used to own the Ether 2. Does the Wodan have a larger soundstage than the E2? Thanks again!

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #4,177 of 10,020
Is there any grain in the upper mids or treble area that you notice? Or do you find it doesn’t accentuate any sibilance in the track?

I used to own the Ether 2. Does the Wodan have a larger soundstage than the E2? Thanks again!
No grain that I can detect. The treble seems to tuned in a way as to not produce any sibilance regardless of track. The Wodan’s and Ether 2’s soundstage seem to be on par with each other. It’s decent, but any wide as my Hifiman headphones.

Jan 3, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #4,178 of 10,020
Right here, I predict that @Malevolent who started with a Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 (a electrodynamic closed-back headphones equipped with a horn, a novelty) has a very high probability of "ending" with a closed-back planar Rögnir headphone; and he shouldn't be the only one in this situation, because I also predict that Dave, at some point, as a collector, will add to his trophys (collection) a superb Kennerton Rögnir in stabilized Karelian birch, probably blue in color . ..
... unless John Massaria took the lead ?
Knowing @Malevolent, that's a very easy prediction :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 3, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #4,180 of 10,020
Dear friends, forgive me for my silence - unfortunately, I haven't been feeling very well for the past week. Too bad I won't be able to have a drink or two or three on the holidays, but that's okay.
I just wanted to say a few words about Rognir. In order not to be suspected of copying anyone else - I took a photo of the internal construction. Of course, the main "highlight" is in the membrane and in the driver's damping, but let me not show this point yet.
In terms of sound, the Rognir is my favorite. And no compromises or adjustments to the fact that they are closed-back headphones. They sound like full open-back planars.
About the new Vali... That's right. Since December all Vali's have had a different driver, exactly the same as the Gjallarhorn and Magni. And in my opinion, they are very cool. In any case, when listening and comparing directly, most people who had the opportunity - all choose this version of the Vali. Of course, if they want open headphones.
All the best for the New Year to everyone!

I hope and pray you recover quickly and completely!

Jan 4, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #4,181 of 10,020
Right here, I predict that @Malevolent who started with a Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 (a electrodynamic closed-back headphones equipped with a horn, a novelty) has a very high probability of "ending" with a closed-back planar Rögnir headphone; and he shouldn't be the only one in this situation, because I also predict that Dave, at some point, as a collector, will add to his trophys (collection) a superb Kennerton Rögnir in stabilized Karelian birch, probably blue in color . ..
... unless John Massaria took the lead ?

Knowing @Malevolent, that's a very easy prediction :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm not that predictable... am I? :sweat_smile:

Well, in my defence, it is a closed-back, it's a Kennerton, and it's really pretty! How could I say no to that?

On a good note, my wife even agrees that the Rögnir looks fantastic. I was so ecstatic to hear her say that, but she shot me down right after - "It doesn't mean that you can buy another headphone!", she added. Oh, well, baby steps. :wink:

Jan 4, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #4,182 of 10,020
I really want to make my reviews better, so i think it's very important to give examples (and links) of all audio tracks i mention to underline any features of headphones i'm revieweing.

So the question is: do you think it important as well? Do you listen to the mentioned music? Or i'm wrong and only verbal description of headphone's sound it enough?

Jan 4, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #4,183 of 10,020
I really want to make my reviews better, so i think it's very important to give examples (and links) of all audio tracks i mention to underline any features of headphones i'm revieweing.

So the question is: do you think it important as well? Do you listen to the mentioned music? Or i'm wrong and only verbal description of headphone's sound it enough?
Personally I rarely hear the same music as reviewers, therefore I prefer sound descriptions of classic audio disciplines (bass, mids, treble, soundstage etc)

Really helpfull are comparisons in those characteristics to other headphones.

I.e. headphone A extends lower into the subbass while headphone B has slightly more middbass quantity.
Stuff like that

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #4,184 of 10,020

I find that out of context, generic sound descriptions are mostly worthless. "Treble is clear and bright without being harsh." What does that mean exactly? One persons clear and bright is another persons harsh. I dont know where upper mids stop and treble starts. I dont know what subbass is vs regular bass. I dont follow the waveforms as I'm listening to music.

What I notice are the different instruments that I'm hearing, and how they sound relative to each other. If you were to say "at 1:06 into this track the crashing cymbals sound like a car wreck with Headphone A but they sound clear and detailed with Headphone B" THAT's something I can use. Such an observation can be used to make an inference about the overall treble response, or not, but its a specific example that someone can test out for themselves instead of just vague words.

So yes, keep the track references is what I'm saying. 😊

Jan 4, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #4,185 of 10,020

Hi.

Your headphones reviews, written as such and translated into English, are already very good. :)
https://boizoff.com/?cat=31&lang=en

The comparison of the headphones with a recognized reference, such as the target curve of the frequency response of a headphone studied by Crinacle, seems to me an important point to continue (and to develop) in order to better situate the headphones in relation to a correct balanced sound (for frequency response); a headphone sound that is more likely to please the majority of us when it is tonally well balanced (in the low-mids-high registers), than if it were to be unbalanced (with too much bass or too much treble, for example).

Otherwise, if you want to improve your headphone reviews even more, well, I think you can have a look at another headphone review, Sandu Vitalie, who also makes excellent reviews of headphones: just read again these three very complete and detailed reviews of the Kennerton Magni, Gajallarhorn (standard version) and Wodan headphones, to be convinced.
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-magni-review/
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-gjallarhorn-gh50-review/
https://soundnews.net/headphones/full-size/kennerton-wodan-review-worthy-of-the-gods/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back