Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 26, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #4,084 of 10,015
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #4,085 of 10,015
Hi. That designer was me. So, what about Gulag?
You designed the headband?
That headband is a big reason why I bought the Thridi headphones. They are some of the best looking headphones on the market. Very unique looking. Heavy...sure, but not crazy heavy.

You must keep offering headphones with this headband design!

Cheers

Dec 27, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #4,086 of 10,015
You designed the headband?
That headband is a big reason why I bought the Thridi headphones. They are some of the best looking headphones on the market. Very unique looking. Heavy...sure, but not crazy heavy.

You must keep offering headphones with this headband design!

Cheers
The Odin Thridi utilizes the same headband as the Thror? That headband design looks pretty snazzy - a good blend of industrial, rustic, and functional components. I like it, from an aesthetics viewpoint.

If it's equally as comfortable as the other Kennerton headband, I wouldn't mind if the Rögnir switched to this particular design assembly.

I wonder how far along the Rögnir is in its design and testing phases? Is it almost ready for release? How exciting - a nice way to kick off a brand new year. :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #4,087 of 10,015
The Odin Thridi utilizes the same headband as the Thror? That headband design looks pretty snazzy - a good blend of industrial, rustic, and functional components. I like it, from an aesthetics viewpoint.

If it's equally as comfortable as the other Kennerton headband, I wouldn't mind if the Rögnir switched to this particular design assembly.

I wonder how far along the Rögnir is in its design and testing phases? Is it almost ready for release? How exciting - a nice way to kick off a brand new year. :)

Hi.

Yes, the Odin Thridi (Odin mk3) (which doesn't seem to be made anymore now, just as the Odin mk2 has been for some time) utilize the same headband as the Thror.

Yes, the "old" headband equipping the Odin looks pretty snazzy - a good blend of industrial, rustic, and functional components.

But in daily use, it is heavy, rigid, not very comfortable (if poorly adjusted, and even so well adjusted) and limited for a strictly individual use.
All the settings have to be redone (unscrew / tighten the screw) for any other head than his. It's tedious to achieve; not very modern.

In terms of design, I noticed with my first Odin a small construction defect: premature usury of the pivot at the junction of the heavy wooden cups of the Odin with the metal pivot: the direct friction of the piece of metal on the wood, wears out the wood, widens the wooden pivot hole and can eventually cause parasitic vibrations of the wooden cups (when listening to low frequencies at high power) with the loss of contact of the pivot (if the wooden hole of the pivot is enlarged by premature usury of the wood resulting from friction).

test-kennerton-odin-06.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #4,088 of 10,015
Hi Max (Hardcorist).

Want to know what I think of the Odin mk1 you designed from scratch (headband and planar drivers)?
(note: I was one of the first owners to have it).

Strength of the headphones: a sound pleasant to hear with excellent midrange to hear, a bit colorful, but less than with an Audeze LCD3-F, but lacking presence in the high-mids for the female voices and the right hand of the piano; a rather grainy (irregular) treble, not great for the violin; a rather dynamic and tight bass, but less precise and fast than the latest Kennerton productions (Thror and Thekk).
A very average sound stage (not much better than the LCD3-F): sound quite confined, in your face; not enough distance and not enough air.

Weakness of the headphones: its weight (680 g, without the cable).
The fault lies with the heavy zinc outer grids of the ear cups and the heavy, and massive (and rigid) headband.
The wearing discomfort of the Odin headphone in relation to the weight of the headphones and the original suspension headband, very thin, not wide enough, not padded, making a hot spot on the top of the skull, and which through the forces transmitted by the weight of the headphone gave too high a clamping to the headphones pads, all the more unpleasant to bear as the first pads were very rigid (bricks), which was unforgiving when the headphone was badly adjusted.

For memory, the original suspension headband, in addition to being too thin and not wide enough (and not padded), was too large for medium to small heads; it has since had to be shortened.

For memory, the death rate of the first fifty (unnumbered) drivers of the Odin mk1 was around 80% !! before they became reliable with the Odin mk2 and then mk3. (design error on the edge of the driver's membrane which was tearing at this early stage of production).

As indicated in my previous post, the wood-to-metal junction of the Odin's heavy wood cups pivot causes a premature wear of the pivot (a hole milled in the wood of the cups that widens and starts to vibrate at certain frequencies because of the induced laxity). (another design error, apparently not reproduced on the new headband).

In short, Kennerton's latest productions are much better, and I have no regrets whatsoever about Kennerton's CEO's apparent decision to phase out the old headband in favour of the new one; it's his choice. We'll either approve it or not.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #4,089 of 10,015
Those words about the engineer were too offensive and rude imo
Depends on what credentials you give Stalin as a designer? Headbands during his era appeared very uncomfortable.

Minus some occasionally squeeks the new head and solution works well on my head. Sit a bit worse now because I tried to achieve JM bend and failed but that is my fault :) absolutely no idea how he fot those bends.

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #4,091 of 10,015
I can't believe this thread is still going haha
Why wouldn't it.
On the Last Page we even got a new announcement with the Rögnir

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #4,092 of 10,015
Hi.

Yes, the Odin Thridi (Odin mk3) (which doesn't seem to be made anymore now, just as the Odin mk2 has been for some time) utilize the same headband as the Thror.

Yes, the "old" headband equipping the Odin looks pretty snazzy - a good blend of industrial, rustic, and functional components.

But in daily use, it is heavy, rigid, not very comfortable (if poorly adjusted, and even so well adjusted) and limited for a strictly individual use.
All the settings have to be redone (unscrew / tighten the screw) for any other head than his. It's tedious to achieve; not very modern.

In terms of design, I noticed with my first Odin a small construction defect: premature usury of the pivot at the junction of the heavy wooden cups of the Odin with the metal pivot: the direct friction of the piece of metal on the wood, wears out the wood, widens the wooden pivot hole and can eventually cause parasitic vibrations of the wooden cups (when listening to low frequencies at high power) with the loss of contact of the pivot (if the wooden hole of the pivot is enlarged by premature usury of the wood resulting from friction).

test-kennerton-odin-06.jpg
Well, it looks nice, and that's about it from my end. I will defer to your judgement, as you have used them at length.

I am really, really interested to know more about the Rögnir; I'm hoping for more crumbs of information to drop sometime soon! :)

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #4,093 of 10,015
This post is for you, Eric @eric65, since you seem to enjoy my tastes in footwear and headphone photography :wink:

A pair of "Blue Marbling". One you wear on your feet, and another on your head :wink:

(The marbling leather is called "Museum", and this is Navy Museum Calf. I customized this from my favorite maker, Carmina Shoemaker, Spain. The headphone needs no introduction :wink:)

DSC_0509-3.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #4,094 of 10,015
I can't believe this thread is still going haha

Nobody has noticed it yet, but thanks to you (who created this generalist thread on the Kennerton brand, with more than 1/2 million views to the last count) and also a little bit also thanks to me, we can say it ... :dt880smile: Well, the brand new Kennerton Rögnir closed-back planar headphone is now an integral part of the title of this thread (with also its name in keyword).
It only remains to open, for the future happy owner of this new Kennerton headphone, a specific thread, in the Hi-End section of Head-Fi, for this amazing high-end closed-back planar Rögnir headphones; the best in its category?

Dec 28, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #4,095 of 10,015
This post is for you, Eric @eric65, since you seem to enjoy my tastes in footwear and headphone photography :wink:

A pair of "Blue Marbling". One you wear on your feet, and another on your head :wink:

(The marbling leather is called "Museum", and this is Navy Museum Calf. I customized this from my favorite maker, Carmina Shoemaker, Spain. The headphone needs no introduction :wink:)

DSC_0509-3.jpg

They're both beautiful, Dave.

In addition to being an excellent photograph man, you are a remarkable collector.

Great! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back