Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 31, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #3,211 of 10,020
Upon arrival these were the worst sounding headphones I've heard in a long time but that was due to collapsed membranes!
Managed to 're-form' the membranes without breaking or tearing them and letting Gjallarhorn play some tunes to burn in. I was walking by an hour ago and am still listening to them. I'm finally getting a glimpse of what these babies can do, missing the (sub)bas impact though.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:14 AM Post #3,212 of 10,020
I can safely say that the membranes are in working order now :D
Upon arrival these were the worst sounding headphones I've heard in a long time but that was due to collapsed membranes!
Managed to 're-form' the membranes without breaking or tearing them and letting the Gjallarhorn play some tunes to burn in. I was walking by an hour ago and am still listening to them. I'm finally getting a glimpse of what these babies can do!

Awesome !!!
It is true that prowling is very important to be able to appreciate what it can develop ...
What is this sensation that you apparently experienced? :L3000:What are they capable of, these famous babies !!!
(had you previously been able to listen to the Magister Pro? if so, what similarity ...)
Make the best of it..
(I can not wait, for my part, that Pierre receives him and talks about it as he knows how to do ...)

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:03 AM Post #3,213 of 10,020
Aug 1, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #3,214 of 10,020
Good morning, everyone.

If anyone has any more info on this "little" headphone tube amplifier, I'll take it.

20080109574723553816944455.jpg

Source: https://fr-fr.facebook.com/Kennerto...288959422814/3083038908481127/?type=3&theater

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #3,215 of 10,020
I've decided to send back this defective Gjallarhorn after the weekend. Been burning them in for the last 2 days with some drum and bass and I get no bass out of these ... My beyerdynamic t1.2 deliver some notes that these are just incapable of producing :frowning2: anything below ~ 80hz is just not coming through. It's a pity cause I do love the craftsmanship Kennerton has put into making these headphones. Faulty membranes are and remain faulty in the end.

Depending on the return process I might just order a pair of Magni's instead.

Aug 1, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,216 of 10,020
I've decided to send back this defective Gjallarhorn after the weekend. Been burning them in for the last 2 days with some drum and bass and I get no bass out of these ... My beyerdynamic t1.2 deliver some notes that these are just incapable of producing :frowning2: anything below ~ 80hz is just not coming through. It's a pity cause I do love the craftsmanship Kennerton has put into making these headphones. Faulty membranes are and remain faulty in the end.

yea man shipping must have damaged them as you mentioned- its a shame if you are ever in NYC I would let you hear how my modded Gjallarhorns have tons of bass and I love them - it's my number one go to HP bar none any price. I do have the Magni's too and they are a close second. I can mention that Beyerdynamic is coming out with T1.3 soon - but I'm not interested in Ber sound... I would rather have my HD600s with my OTL as a match made in head-fi heaven or the Ghorns with any amp

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #3,217 of 10,020

Why not exchange them for a working pair of Gjallarhorns

Aug 1, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #3,219 of 10,020
I sincerely think you did right coming also from à T5P.2 you will love the Magni, it has exactly what is missing on the Beyer, more details, more dynamics, more soundstage, more bass and better separation, I think the GH50 would have been a much too big change.
Do not listen to it before at least 75 hours burn in or you might be disappointed

Aug 1, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,220 of 10,020
I sincerely think you did right coming also from à T5P.2 you will love the Magni, it has exactly what is missing on the Beyer, more details, more dynamics, more soundstage, more bass and better separation, I think the GH50 would have been a much too big change.
Do not listen to it before at least 75 hours burn in or you might be disappointed
my.membranes.are.f*cked.up
nothing a burn in will fix.

Aug 1, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #3,222 of 10,020
these are just incapable of producing :frowning2: anything below ~ 80hz is just not coming through. It's a pity cause I do love the craftsmanship Kennerton has put into making these headphones. Faulty membranes are and remain faulty in the end

They’re definitely damaged, my GHorns turned up yesterday, the biggest criticism i had initially was that the bass is a bit excessive, Still breaking mine in, but they are a unique sounding headphone.

Aug 1, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3,223 of 10,020

You mention no sub bass that means they are broke because I get sub bass. The headphone kicks and remember bend band slightly to increase clamp which will give you what you are looking for.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #3,224 of 10,020
Good morning, everyone.

I read an interesting comparison, on the Russian forum player.ru, of the Odin mk3 (aka Odin Thridi) versus the Thror.

http://player.ru/showthread.php?t=142284&page=115&p=3053305&viewfull=1#post3053305

With the restriction that the Odin Thridi used in this headphone comparison used the small perforation pads (ECL-02: 0.5 mm holes, instead of the stock pads ECL-01: 1 mm holes; ECL-02 pads reinforcing the bass by about 2 dB, perhaps at the price of less spatialization, and that the Thror used was the prototype of the Thror (the very first Thror manufactured ? )), well the description of these two headphones linked above, and their differences, seems to me fair enough, to have listened to them both.

Roughly speaking, the Thror is more airy than the Odin Thridi, with a more important recoil of the instruments; it has more treble than the Thridi, and it sounds quite clear (Nb: very good snare drum rendering with the Thror).
The Thridi is darker and warmer than the Thror, with a fuller midrange.
The Thror and Thridi are more detailed and transparent than the Audeze LCD2 and 3.

And if we want to situate the Thekk in relation to the Thror and the Thridi (for my appreciation), I would say that the Thekk takes a bit the best of these two headphones: the spatialization of the Thror (layered sound) as well as its aeration and its distance from the instruments; the definition of the Thror and its sense of detail, its finesse.
Compared to the Odin Thridi, the Thekk takes the fullness of the midrange and its bass, while keeping the excellent texture of the Thror in the bass.
Thekk is also less dull (and shortened in the treble) compared to the Thridi, without being brilliant; it is less clear than the Thror (less high midrange put forward, but fuller and denser, like the Thridi).

Otherwise, a particularity of the Kennerton planar headphones (Odin, Thridi, Thekk, Thror) compared to the last Kennerton closed-back electrodynamic headphones (Magni and Gjallarhorn), is their much less dependence on the tightness of the pads for the restitution of the mid-bass : the bass level of the Magni (and Gjallarhorn) decreases considerably if the sealing of the pads is not perfect and if there is not sufficient clamping force; this is not the case with Kennerton planar headphones, except perhaps for the sub-bass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back