Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2,041 of 10,015
Hello everyone,

I tried to translate what Pierre Paya say in his YouTube video about the Kennerton Thridi
Good reading and go check his video for the pleasure of the eyes !

"Hello everyone, I'm Pierre Paya,

Here is the third version of the Odin's 3rd generation, the Odin Thridi, which is manufactured, studied and hand-assembled in St Petersburg, Russia.

PRESENTATION:

So it's easy to see that the Odin mk2 and the Odin Thridi are alike. The grid on the Thridi is made of composite material and that saves us 120 grams on the total weight of the headphone.
We can have the Odin Thridi in different finishes: Maple, Bog Oak, Zebrano, Karelian Birch, Rosewood ... Kennerton improved the finish of the headband, we have seams that are thinner, better finish at the junction then the secondary band is thicker. We have the same pads as the Odin mk2.
Technically we have the same impedance, which is 35 ohms, same sensitivity (104 db), it is 550 (120 grams less than the Odin mk2).
The driver is the same diameter (80 millimeters).
The main difference between these 2 headphones is that the membrane is not the same and therefore it will have a change on the sound.

LISTENING :
Listening condition: MELCO N1AH60 server player and connected in USB to an Audio-technica ATHA5050H dac / amplifier.

I start with a sonata for violin and piano by Beethoven.
The violin played is a delight for my ears with Thridi. The mids that I hear is really beautiful. I find almost the consistency, the softness, the richness of the violins that I often listened live. The piano is beautiful too. A very nice dynamic on the strong without ever aggression on treble and high level. While passing to the Odin Mk2, I lose some information on the atmosphere of the room and the harmonic richness, it diverts a little less than the Thridi.

I now go to a French singer: Daphne from the album Carmin: Déclaration à celui.
I have here with the Odin and the Thridi a very beautiful opening, they are both very very well stamped, it is the strength of these 2 headphones. The presence is confusing. The voice is a little duller with the Odin and a little less centered, more diffuse, I also lose a little air.

Now I want to see how the Thridi goes down in the bass in comparison with the Odin, because it is a reference on this point.
I chose Love scenes by Diana Krall.
It goes down very low with the Odin, only Abyss and LCD 4 can do as well. The Thridi gives me a sub-bass a little less fat.
The bass of the Thridi is according to my criteria of better quality, a little less round, but it impacts and descends as much as the Odin.
The bass is better centered in space with the Thridi, the voice of Diana Krall is a little more organic with the Odin but the quality of its presence is better with the Thridi.

I go now with a little jazz with Michel Petrucciani and his live: Trio in Tokyo.
The title I chose is Training.
I find here easily what differentiates Odin and Thridi to this listening. Overall I hear the room better with the Thridi, I also distinguish more easily each instrument, the Odin is a little more confused.
On the other hand I have the same dynamics, the slightly rounder side of the Odin gives me the illusion that it is better stamped, it is because it is a little more physiological enfait. But in reality the Thridi seems to me more right because there is an artificial surplus of matter on the Odin. So this point will surely be subject to discussion and I may be wrong, but that's how I see these 2 headphones .

CONCLUSION:

These 2 Odin (Mk2 and Thridi) are very close. Fans of the very organic mids of the first generations will not quite find what they liked with the Thridi but in return, the Thridi better detours the sounds, they place them more precisely in the space and on the plane of the aeration he is more faithful to the source. Then the Thridi is 120 grams less so it will play on comfort.

There are currently 2 forums in France that talk a lot about Kennerton, the topics are daily active, I invite you to visit what is happening on the Kennerton thread of TellementNomade.org and Musique-O-Casque.com.

Musique-o-casque : https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26&start=410 (All the new informations about Kennerton, the most active)

TellementNomade : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=20351 (Thror's topic)
http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=11426&start=1710 (Odin's topic)
http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=22612&start=30 (Thridi's topic)

See you soon ! "

Thank you Milan, for this big job of translating in english this YouTube video in french, the first in the world, about Kennerton's latest planar headphones, the Kennerton Odin Thridi (aka Odin MK3). :)

Two remarks to make on this YouTube video of Pierre Paya on the Kennerton Thridi.

- The cover photo is that of a Kennerton Odin MK2 (with its external grid in chevrons) and not that of Thridi (with its external grid in lightweight composite material, having its own design).

- The driver shown as an example in this video is that of an Odin MK1, with the old membrane, and not that of the Thridi (Odin MK3).
The Thridi's drivers normally shares the same lightweight and high technology honeycomb membrane of the Thror, but also the same metal frame of the Odin mk2 (note : the Thror has a carbon fiber frame for his drivers, much lighter); otherwise, the internal wiring is Litz wire (purple wire) for the Odin mk2, Thridi and Thror.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 2:01 AM Post #2,042 of 10,015
Hi all.

The most beautiful current Kennerton Thridi of the market, made of lacquered Karelian birch wood, in the nickname "the precious"; this superb headphones belongs to an happy french (not me, unfortunately! :beyersmile:)

19022008380723553816128008.jpg

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:16 AM Post #2,043 of 10,015
Hi all.

In pictures, four generations of drivers for Kennerton planar headphones (size of the drivers: 80 mm).

Generation one: the first 50 Odin (mk1) (not engraved: no serial number).
19022603351323553816136234.jpg

Odin MK1 drivers (old membrane ; metal frame ; internal wire which is not Litz wire ; a lot failures noted).

Generation two (Odin MK2) (engraved with a serial number).
19022603405923553816136240.jpg

Odin MK2 drivers (old membrane, but more reliable (no failures) ; metal frame ; internal cable in Litz wire).

Generation three (Odin Thridi MK3) (engraved with a serial number).
19022603282323553816136230.jpg

Odin Thridi MK3 drivers (with the high-tech honeycomb membrane (lighter and faster) ; metal frame ; internal cable in Litz wire).

Generation four (Thror) (engraved with a serial number).
19022111275023553816129741.jpg

Thror drivers (with the high-tech honeycomb membrane (lighter and faster) ; carbon fiber frame (lighter) ; internal cable in Litz wire).

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 8:01 AM Post #2,044 of 10,015
Attention, please!
Thror with the serial number THR033 was stolen from our distributor and good partner in China.

It is not clear yet where it has happened - at their warehouse or while transportation. The headphones were stolen from a sealed box and then the empty box was repacked and taped again.
So these headphones do not have a warranty card and the package. The wooden cups were made of Palisander.
It is unlikely that the thief is from among the audiophiles but we are letting you know and strongly recommend not to buy this Thror unit (e.g., flee market or internet offer) as this unit will not have any warranty support.
So, once again, Kennerton Thror, serial THR033 - beware of buying it, no matter how attractive the price is!

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:11 AM Post #2,045 of 10,015
Attention, please!
Thror with the serial number THR033 was stolen from our distributor and good partner in China.

It is not clear yet where it has happened - at their warehouse or while transportation. The headphones were stolen from a sealed box and then the empty box was repacked and taped again.
So these headphones do not have a warranty card and the package. The wooden cups were made of Palisander.
It is unlikely that the thief is from among the audiophiles but we are letting you know and strongly recommend not to buy this Thror unit (e.g., flee market or internet offer) as this unit will not have any warranty support.
So, once again, Kennerton Thror, serial THR033 - beware of buying it, no matter how attractive the price is!

Hi Max.

Info relayed on the two French forums.

Eric

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:26 AM Post #2,047 of 10,015
Attention, please!

I just came across one Thror selling on a 2nd hand forum in China. It was posted 3 hours ago. Seller in Beijing. Is the item stolen in beijing?

Feb 27, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #2,048 of 10,015
Our partner is located in Shanghai. But customs clearance took place in Hong Kong. The weight of the cargo was matched to the packing list. Therefore, the headphones were stolen after customs clearance, i.e. either in Hong Kong, or in Shanghai, or on the way between them.
Shipment was carried out at the end of last year, but the loss was discovered only recently. Perhaps the headphones have long been moved to another city.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,050 of 10,015
Hi all.

Here is a link to a vk video about assembling a Kennerton Thror (in 720p HD video quality).
You can admire in this video the superb drivers of the Thror with its carbon fiber frame. :)

https://vk.com/videos-177298044?z=video-177298044_456239035/club177298044/pl_-177298044_-2

19022806172923553816139801.png

EDIT:
and, for the pleasure of the eyes, that of the manufacture and hand assembling of the Kennerton Odin mk2, Vali and Magister.
Note : the last video (and his superb music), is my prefered. :)

Waiting for a new Kennerton Magister, soon? (facebook publication of February 24)
https://fr-fr.facebook.com/KennertonAudioEquipment/

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 2:06 AM Post #2,051 of 10,015
Hello everyone.

Here is as expected a new comparison of the headphones Odin mk2, Thridi and Thror made by @Milan01, this time on more dynamic musics.
Comparative for the moment in french on the French forum at the following link.

https://musique-o-casque.com/viewtopic.php?p=1230#p1230

Do not hesitate to use google translate (note: "aigu" in french = treble (and not "acute") ; "grave" in french = bass (and not "serious") :beyersmile:)

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #2,053 of 10,015
I make the traduction of my review here :

Hi everybody !

Here is my comparison of Thror / Thridi / Odin, this time on Electro.
We do not get bored with these headphones !

Gramatik - Just Jammin

The 3 headphones have a remarkable dynamic, it is very alive. The Odin is the one with the most treble among these 3 headphones, the Thridi the one with the most bass (Thror and Odin have the same amount, with all the music).

3:20
Thror sounds a little more natural on the instruments than the Thridi, which is a bit more natural than the Odin.

Chet Faker- Drop the game

0:20
Thror detours voice more (cleaner and a little more natural) and is slightly lighter, followed by Thridi and Odin.

0:40
The Thridi seems to impact a little better than Thror and Odin on this passage, we feel more the bass.

1:30
The same thing, the Thridi is slightly more comfortable than the 2 others on the reproduction of the impacts of this music.

3:30
The 3 headphones go up about as high in the treble.

Disclosure - You & Me (Flume Remix)

The Odin, due to its presence of voices and its amount of extra treble to Thror and Thridi (the Thridi has a little less treble than the Thror) seems to have a sound that spreads more naturally, the Thror is in direct comparison, like a little "smothered" (that does not mean that the Odin has a bigger scene of course, it's not the case), the Thridi gives a little more this impression than the Thror .
That's why I evoked the last time the fact that the Odin gives an impression of its more open (even if it may not be the right term) on the music listened to.

On the other hand, Thror is the one that detours the voice the most , followed by Thridi then Odin.

Parov Stelar - Beauty Mark

0:55 and 2:20

It is easy to see (or rather to hear) that the Thror is the clearest of the 3 (more high medium), followed by Thridi and Odin.
The Odin has the most treble, followed by Thror then Thridi.

That's all for this kind of music!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back