Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Dec 29, 2018 at 4:17 AM Post #1,907 of 9,926
Hi all.

Seen on the Kennerton's facebook site this beautiful planar headphone. :)

49211314_1961683020616727_1676037955640098816_n.jpg

Odin Thridi Red Rocket, the sister ship of the other beautiful planar headphone, the Odin Thridi Northern Star.

ph9n.jpg

Happy new year too for our Nordic friends from Saint Petersburg, Russia the brilliant creators of these beautiful headphones.

March%E9%20de%20No%EBl%20LED.jpg

capodanno-a-san-pietroburgo-hermitage.jpg

Saint Petersburg. Christmas 2018/2019 ; Christmas tree and Northern Star, at the top !

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #1,910 of 9,926

Thanks.
This is a very interesting review of the Kennerton Thror (like your first review of the Kennerton Odin). :)

I can understand that the Odin may be preferred to the Thror for the criteria you mention.
But the opposite is true too! :beyersmile:

Imho the ideal would be to have both headphones!

For my ears, the Thror sounds more just than the Odin for classical music; the Thror's bass is not particularly loud, nor too weak; higher in level than the HD-800's bass; moreover Thror's bass go down very low.
No frustration in the reproduction of double basses for the 4th movement of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Restitution well balanced and pleasant, neither too dense (confused), nor too thin (too clear).
A very good all-rounder headphones! :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 11:27 PM Post #1,911 of 9,926
Yes, agree to that the bass extends low and quite precise. But I prefer more bass slam and rumble. And somehow I do feel the stereo holography is rather too small to my liking, sometime I feel like the orchestra shrinks and doesn't sound as large as I would like to hear. Probably need to find a better DAC and Amp for it.

Jan 6, 2019 at 4:03 AM Post #1,912 of 9,926
Hi earfonia,
I read very carefully your headphones reviews because I think I have an ear sensitivity very close to yours.

It is true that Thror headphones, by its advanced neutrality, with a subjective FR more flat and less in V than the Odin, is, in first listen, less WOW effect than the Odin.

It is also true that the weak points described in your Thror's review can be improved by choosing a DAC subjectively bringing more level and heat in the bass and an amplifier also richer in the middle bass while being endowed with a great transparency and possessing beautiful timbres.

In this, I prefer listening to the Thror with the tube amplifier Viva 2A3 (warmer) than the transistorized amplifier XI audio Formula S (too neutral for the Thror, so to speak) and even the Viva 845 (tube amp); this last, imho, suits better to the Odin than to Thror.

Finally, we can also improve the treble extension of the Thror with a very transparent cable in the treble to give it a little more amplitude and extension (spun); for that, the cable Vectura C (Litz wire) is well good for this headphone.

This Thror headphone deserves to be optimized (DAC, Amp, Cable) to get the best, and especially, be listened over a long period to appreciate all its potential, very high.
Otherwise, it will not replace the Odin Mk2; It's another headphone for the sound.

Last point I would like to make clear; The great strength of Kennerton is its originality, including in the design of the drivers (very qualitative), the quality of construction and above all, the unique possibility of choosing very beautiful woods, in very varied species, sometimes rare and unique, each one more beautiful than the others.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #1,913 of 9,926
After the excellent review made by earfonia on the Kennerton Thror (versus Kennerton Odin, Sennheiser HD-800 and Hifiman HE-6): https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kennerton-thror-bog-oak.23048/reviews#review-21410 ,

here is a report of the new Kennerton Odin mk3 Thridi, in a superb livery with the sublime Nordic wood in Karelian birch; report made by a French compatriot on TN (Samwan).

Link here (in French) : http://www.tellementnomade.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=656301#p656301

2vkm2rk.jpg

The Kennerton Odin mk3 Thridi is perhaps the middle ground headphones (the just middle ?) situed between the Odin mk2 and the Thror, as described above by Samwan (for the Thridi) and earfonia in his reviews for the Odin and the Thror.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,915 of 9,926
Hello earfonia,

The Odin Thridi is an Odin mk3

Some Odin mk1 had defectual drivers with the time ( There are 50 exemplary copies, and they are not numbered on the headphone ). The problem was resolved with the Odin mk2.
For the sound, the mk1 is very similar to the mk2 version, there are just a few different things ( in globality, the mk1 is a mk2 with a little more clarity ).

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #1,916 of 9,926
Hello earfonia,

Some Odin mk1 had defectual drivers with the time ( There are 50 exemplary copies, and they are not numbered on the headphone ). The problem was resolved with the Odin mk2.
For the sound, the mk1 is very similar to the mk2 version, there are just a few different things ( in globality, the mk1 is a mk2 with a little more clarity ).

Very good summary! :)

On the technical side, the Odin mk3 Thridi shares the same high-tech fast and light honeycomb membrane of the Thror and the same metal frame as the Odin mk1 and mk2.
(Note: the Thror's frame is made of carbon fiber, 100 g lighter than the Odin's metal frame).
(Note bis: the external grill of the Odin mk3 Thridi is made of composite material (like that of the Thror), about 100 g lighter than the heavy zinc outer grille (in chevrons) of the Odin mk1 and mk2 ).

Otherwise, I think that the sound of the Odin mk3 Thridi is intermediate between that of the Odin mk1 and mk2 on the one hand and the Thror on the other hand; probably closer to the Thror than the Odin mk2.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,917 of 9,926
Hello earfonia,

Very good summary! :)

On the technical side, the Odin mk3 Thridi shares the same high-tech fast and light honeycomb membrane of the Thror and the same metal frame as the Odin mk1 and mk2.
(Note: the Thror's frame is made of carbon fiber, 100 g lighter than the Odin's metal frame).
(Note bis: the external grill of the Odin mk3 Thridi is made of composite material (like that of the Thror), about 100 g lighter than the heavy zinc outer grille (in chevrons) of the Odin mk1 and mk2 ).

Otherwise, I think that the sound of the Odin mk3 Thridi is intermediate between that of the Odin mk1 and mk2 on the one hand and the Thror on the other hand; probably closer to the Thror than the Odin mk2.

Noted with thanks!

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:50 AM Post #1,918 of 9,926
In images, in pictures.

9963032.jpg

Kennerton Thror driver with frame made of carbon fiber and with the high-tech fast and light honeycomb membrane.

19010910014923553816069778.jpg

Kennerton Odin mk1 driver with frame made of metal and with the old membrane. On the side, top right, the heavy external grid in Zinc of the Odin mk1 (and mk2).

bks7.jpg

External grill of the Odin mk3 Thridi is made of composite material (like that of the Thror), about 100 g lighter than the heavy zinc outer grille (in chevrons) of the Odin mk1 and mk2 ).

91wd.png

External stylish grid (in T) of the Kennerton Thror, also in composite material.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #1,919 of 9,926
Hi there, I accidentally broke my vali.(People will ask why I can break such high-quality metal, well, It's a long story....)
I emailed Kennerton haven't got respond yet, do you guys know where I can contact them for the repair?

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,920 of 9,926
Hi there, I accidentally broke my vali.(People will ask why I can break such high-quality metal, well, It's a long story....)
I emailed Kennerton haven't got respond yet, do you guys know where I can contact them for the repair?

How recently did you contact them? I've found them to be very quick to respond to messages, I consistently get replies the next day (and that is only because I am on the opposite side of the world).

I can PM you the email address of the guy that I deal with if you'd like?

// Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back