Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #5,836 of 10,015
*old man shakes fist at clouds*

I Will just never understand the appeal of the Youtube reviewer / influencer scene. That guy took 14.5 minutes to say what you could learn in 14.5 seconds of looking at an FR graph.
I agree. I find video reviews in general a far less efficient way to get a feel for how gear will sound. Lot's of time spent with extraneous chat. The process of formulating one's thoughts for a written review can make for a crisper, more focused communication. Additionally I can continue listening to music (the raison d'être for all of this!) while I read a written review rather than listen to a video reviewer infatuated with the sound of his own voice.

In fairness. I recognize there are good videos for audio products (indeed, @jude's here are always very worthwhile when I take the time to watch through) but these forums are generally far more informative and the "signal to noise" quotient is far better.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #5,837 of 10,015
Graph readers are not my type of reviewer tho-if that was the case you could EQ any headphone to sound similar and the pursuit for our ideal tuning would be ez- right?- graphs only tell us one part of the impression. But as for Sandu - he doesn’t outright say he doesn’t like a product too often which is kind of one red flag for me- but he does skate around that fact and is soft handed when he doesn’t like a product- you have to pay attention when he uses certain words for example. For the most part I like him as a reviewer- I try to listen and read a lot before I buy. I do like trial periods of 30 days if I don’t like a product - I am hesitant to deal with on line dealers that do not offer money back if you return item in perfect resealable condition- life is too short - that’s why people should audition before they buy I think- or both listen/read a wide blend of reviews - I love headfi for that- users ithilienrp, jonathan c, strayings and malelent and some others of course - are experienced head-fiers and I tend to appreciate their listening ability and their contributions/opinions

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #5,838 of 10,015
Additionally I can continue listening to music (the raison d'être for all of this!) while I read a written review rather than listen to a video reviewer infatuated with the sound of his own voice.
👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

Aug 23, 2021 at 12:15 AM Post #5,839 of 10,015
Graph readers are not my type of reviewer tho-if that was the case you could EQ any headphone to sound similar and the pursuit for our ideal tuning would be ez- right?- graphs only tell us one part of the impression. But as for Sandu - he doesn’t outright say he doesn’t like a product too often which is kind of one red flag for me- but he does skate around that fact and is soft handed when he doesn’t like a product- you have to pay attention when he uses certain words for example. For the most part I like him as a reviewer- I try to listen and read a lot before I buy. I do like trial periods of 30 days if I don’t like a product - I am hesitant to deal with on line dealers that do not offer money back if you return item in perfect resealable condition- life is too short - that’s why people should audition before they buy I think- or both listen/read a wide blend of reviews - I love headfi for that- users ithilienrp, jonathan c, strayings and malelent and some others of course - are experienced head-fiers and I tend to appreciate their listening ability and their contributions/opinions
Thank you…did not at all expect being a reference. “Everyone is entitled to my opinion”…😜

Aug 23, 2021 at 9:36 AM Post #5,840 of 10,015
Thinking about maxing the cable out on my Rognir, maybe with some copper/hybrid based. Anyone else using a copper cable for theirs? Any other cable synergy recommendations?

I'm currently using Plussound X8 silver/copper, but may migrate to Plussound X16 copper. Or maybe something from Arctic Cables.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #5,841 of 10,015
Thinking about maxing the cable out on my Rognir, maybe with some copper/hybrid based. Anyone else using a copper cable for theirs? Any other cable synergy recommendations?

I'm currently using Plussound X8 silver/copper, but may migrate to Plussound X16 copper. Or maybe something from Arctic Cables.
For what it is worth, I use the Norne Audio Vykari (copper/silver) with Gjallarhorn JM Edition and am more than pleased with the results.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #5,843 of 10,015

I'm using a pair of Arctic Cables ION+ with anything that accepts 4pin mini-XLR; including my HP-Diamonds. The ION+ is an 8 core neotech UPOCC cable which is as far as I would ever go for a cable. Been using that snake with all my headphones and re-terminated it multiple times when I switched headphones.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #5,844 of 10,015
I'm using a pair of Arctic Cables ION+ with anything that accepts 4pin mini-XLR; including my HP-Diamonds. The ION+ is an 8 core neotech UPOCC cable which is as far as I would every go for a cable. Been using that snake with all my headphones and re-terminated it multiple times when I switched headphones.
Yup, I have the ION+ for a portable pair of JVC headphones. Great cable, indeed, and superb value, that's for sure.

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #5,845 of 10,015
Thanks. Got a link? Couldn't see it on their site.
Trevor at Norne takes a while to update the website. Best to email him. If you decide on Vykari, it could take quite a while (supply bottleneck on silver…)

Aug 23, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #5,846 of 10,015
Full review LSA HP-Diamond by William Murdock:

Hmmmm ....
1629731863406.png

Aug 23, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #5,847 of 10,015
Full review LSA HP-Diamond by William Murdock:

Hmmmm ....
1629731863406.png

Finally....I've been waiting on this review....now need that Wodan vs Diamond comparison vid haha

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #5,848 of 10,015
Finally....I've been waiting on this review....now need that Wodan vs Diamond comparison vid haha
He goes into the differences quite lengthy; start at 24:34
Both are extremely close to each other but Wodan wins in analytical properties while the HP-Diamond is ever so slightly more laid back. For his preferences he values the HP-Diamond over the Wodan while Thror remains #1.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #5,849 of 10,015
A Special 100th post :)

Since Kennerton has posted my custom Thror Novel on their FB page, I'm going to expand a bit on it.

Preface: I own the original Thror Bog Oak and really like the tonality of the headphones. The sound was refined, no major peaks or dips in its FR. I listened to a wide variety of music genres which I think this headphones does really well - kind of like a jack of all trades - across the board for music. Nowadays I find myself listening to more contemporary genres i.e. EDM, electronica, hip/hop, dance/pop which emphasizes a bit on the low end. While the bass extends low on the classic Thror, the sound was very neutral with tight fast bass. I enjoyed the music but was not quite emotionally involved with the experience.

With the announcement of the Thror Novel, Kennerton said they kept the same tonality of the original Thror. Since I own the original already, it would make little sense to order another unit with just the updated body styling. So I contemplated what would make a new model stand out and requested a custom tuning with my unit, still very much liking the refinement of the original sound but wanted a bit more emphasis on the lower end of the spectrum. I mentioned a bit more "Thekk-like" but not at that level of coloration in the sound. I like the Thekk for a different experience than the Thror, very energetic and fun, but I do feel a bit of fatigue after listening to it for a couple of hours.

After several weeks, Kennerton got back to me with a modified FR of the custom Thror and I was satisfied with the results. Upon receiving the headphones, I did a comparison between the classic Thror and Novel to see what was changed. I noticed the new Thror has a buttery soft leather pads same material as the Rognir while the classic has bit stiffer leather but more squishy internal foam. Wondering if the FR change was due solely to different pads, I swapped the pads of the original Thror onto the Novel but nope there was a noticeable +3-5 db throughout the bass region compare to the classic Thror depending on the pads used. Kennerton has modified the tuning/damping internally with this new unit, not just different pad materials. Its also a bit more efficient despite having the same specs to my ears. I would have to raise the volume of the original Thror by 1 notch to get the same volume level of the Novel. In conclusion, I am satisfied with the result of the new tuning as now EDM sound particularly tasteful on this model. Very musical in the bass but still a bit more refinement in the treble in comparison to the Thekk. The mids, in particular the vocals, are still upfront and crystal clear.

This project was made to build the unit around my personal musical preferences but I hope this also revive interest in the Thror line which has been a bit overshadowed by the Thekk. I may be one of the few that prefers the old headband more in looks and fitting. It has a finnicky fit and you can't share the headphones with someone else as it will need to be reconfigured each time but having the freedom of vertical axis rotation makes a difference in configuration. If you're not sharing the headphones, you just need to spend a bit of time in the beginning to get the exact fit that you want, set it, and boom it'll be a perfect fit customized to your head each time you put it on. The Thror Novel also has a wider headband despite having the same classic look. It fits a bit more comfortable and have a lesser clamp force on the head. Kennerton has done a wonderful job with this model and I would agree it still remains the top of the line in its headphones planar lineup.

Introducing the Thror Novel Version W in blue stabilized Karelian birch:
1629757398660.png

1629758070398.png

1629758093008.png

Attachments

• custom thror FR.jpg
    custom thror FR.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back