Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 13, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #5,221 of 10,020
Yep I hope they come out with a new pad that will work well with them….sucks we will have to buy it though!
Those hybrid pads that JM has w/ his custom Gjallarhorn looks good, thicker pads...but need some data points on how it'll work w/ the Rognir...maybe he can give some input when he receives his Bog Oak unit?

Jun 13, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #5,223 of 10,020
Do your ears hit the drivers or just the pads? I would think it would be a easy fix to design slightly thicker pads.
They hit the inside liner of the pads that's right against the driver

Jun 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #5,225 of 10,020
Always room for mods and improvements Im thinking- Vesper custom ear pads puts memory foam cooling gel in their ear pads as an option instead of memory foam alone - this made the pads a bit more dense but still very comfortable- wonder if that can help too so the pads don’t flex in as much. What a great hobby!

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #5,226 of 10,020
Another day on the JWG, and I guess I'm drinking the Kool-Aid, on acoustic music, jazz, classical, some acoustic rock, I'm not hearing a “weird” soundstage. Are those who hear this, on what types of music, or even better, specific songs on which you are hearing this?

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #5,227 of 10,020
OK guys first impressions. First the good. The bass opened up a bit after a few hours of burn in. Very detailed. This headphone reminds me a lot of the Thekk with a tiny bit more sub bass. A thicker sound then the Wodan with the same level of detail. Because of this, it sounds more musical. Instrument separation is fantastic. The soundstage is very good for a closed back. I think the soundstage is better on the Gjallarhorn which to me is the best stage in any closed back. This to my ears is the best closed back released that I have heard (AT AWAS, Focal Stellia, ZMF Verite CB) by a good margin. They excel with all the genres I have thrown at it (90s and 00s alternative (think Incubus), Tool, modern jazz (think Kamasi Washington), female vocals, and pop (Michael Jackson…Madonna). I am very pleased with the sound so far. I can only imagine it will improve with a little burn in.

The bad. They are very comfortable but Man the ear pads are shallow. I can feel the inside portion of the pads with my ears. First time I have said that with any of the 35 Plus headphones I have owned. They could use a little more clamp but that is easily remedied with a Kennerton headband.
Hmmm.. interesting. Should I be getting the Thekk given that I already have the Rognir and I really like the sound?
Or the differences aren't worth it now. (Aside from, obviously, completing my collection).
What's your opinion?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Jun 14, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #5,228 of 10,020
Just sharing my impressions of Thror and Thekk. After spending several days with the Thekk, I can see that “fun coloration” in its FR vs the Thror that’s distinctive enough to make them separate models.

Definitely having more mid bass and more spark to the highs (ECL-01 pads), I would equate the Thekk as more of the sound you hear at a nightclub: more v-shaped that gets you excited and jamming but after a couple hours, fatigue sets in. Tried the ECL-02 pads and it sounds a bit unbalanced, the low end is slightly overpowering due to the mid bass and slight rolled off the treble details while having a peak somewhere in the 5-7k that makes my ears sensitive to certain songs. I experimented with the Thror ear pads (original pads not the ECL-01: they visually look the same but the leather is a bit firmer and the internal foam is less dense / more squishy) and it’s sound is closer to the Thror with a touch more fun to it, I very much like this combo. Definitely the most natural sounding out of the 3 pads while still retaining that Thekk signature.

The Thror is more neutral, no wow factor in the beginning (original Thror ear pads) but slowly immerse you into the music as your ears adapt to the sound, low end is too flat for my taste though. Sub bass goes deep, can definitely hear it more than the Thekk. Tried the ECL-01 pads, adds a touch more bass and slight treble to the sound not at the Thekk level but similar sound to a lesser degree. With the ECL-02 pads, it’s reminds me a bit of the Z1R sound but better in all technical aspect, a warm liquid sound that you can listen for a long time w/o fatigue. Not the most accurate but most enjoyable. I will say that I prefer the high midrange particularly the vocals on the Thror to the Thekk with all pads.

Though the Thror slightly edges out the Thekk in sound refinement but it depends on your musical preferences and I wouldn’t put one over the other. Different sound for different applications, I think they complement each other well

Thror Bog Oak / Thekk Stabilized Maple

A44C6DE9-5451-41B9-9D55-05FBBD5EB88A.jpeg

Jun 14, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #5,229 of 10,020
Well, I got the Rögnirs in Bog Oak today and I can confirm that these sound pretty awesome. The only niggle is that my ears do indeed hit the inside and while the rest of the fit is good, these feel like floating on my head, the earpad-situation need to get fixed. I went ahead and asked if there is a deeper earpad in production.

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #5,231 of 10,020
Well, I got the Rögnirs in Bog Oak today and I can confirm that these sound pretty awesome. The only niggle is that my ears do indeed hit the inside and while the rest of the fit is good, these feel like floating on my head, the earpad-situation need to get fixed. I went ahead and asked if there is a deeper earpad in production.
pictures please!

Jun 14, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #5,232 of 10,020
OK guys first impressions. First the good. The bass opened up a bit after a few hours of burn in. Very detailed. This headphone reminds me a lot of the Thekk with a tiny bit more sub bass. A thicker sound then the Wodan with the same level of detail. Because of this, it sounds more musical. Instrument separation is fantastic. The soundstage is very good for a closed back. I think the soundstage is better on the Gjallarhorn which to me is the best stage in any closed back. This to my ears is the best closed back released that I have heard (AT AWAS, Focal Stellia, ZMF Verite CB) by a good margin. They excel with all the genres I have thrown at it (90s and 00s alternative (think Incubus), Tool, modern jazz (think Kamasi Washington), female vocals, and pop (Michael Jackson…Madonna). I am very pleased with the sound so far. I can only imagine it will improve with a little burn in.

The bad. They are very comfortable but Man the ear pads are shallow. I can feel the inside portion of the pads with my ears. First time I have said that with any of the 35 Plus headphones I have owned. They could use a little more clamp but that is easily remedied with a Kennerton headband.
which version of Gjallarhorn GH50 are you speaking about?

Jun 14, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5,234 of 10,020
Does any Kennerton aficionado know if the Rognir type of headband is available for purchase as an accessory for other Kennerton headphones? I am awaiting a reply from Kennerton. I would love to have the ‘Rognir-band’ for my Gjallarhorn JM Edition. My home made version (a year +) is below:
6CF3D64A-FAD6-4780-8EEB-DB009E2FB2CC.jpeg

Jun 14, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #5,235 of 10,020
Does any Kennerton aficionado know if the Rognir type of headband is available for purchase as an accessory for other Kennerton headphones? I am awaiting a reply from Kennerton. I would love to have the ‘Rognir-band’ for my Gjallarhorn JM Edition. My home made version (a year +) is below:
yes they are- I had them put it on mine for small fee- the complicated part is the left and right rubber ends - they did the assembly -it's a great addition and makes it look more distinct and of course makes the band absolutely stealthy silent

2CE7C510-3461-42C4-87E4-A69A7E172736.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back