Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Aug 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #1,816 of 9,926
Hello
I recently bought a Kennerton Magister (1rst gen), and I want to connect it to the balanced 4.4 output of my Sony WM1Z (no amp).
So I need a new cable : what would you recommend with these headphones : copper, silver plated copper, silver, ... ?
The cable should not be too expensive, and on the same quality level than the headphones themselves.
Thank you for your recommendations :)

Aug 9, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #1,817 of 9,926
Maybe Kennerton themselves could whip you one up. Not sure if they do that sort of custom order thing.
Then it'd be on the same level.

Aug 10, 2018 at 3:11 AM Post #1,818 of 9,926
I was rather thinking of aftermarket cable, like Lunashops, but there are a lot of different cable types, and I don't know which one suits best with Magister...
I'd rather like a warm sound (=copper ?), but not too warm either, so it depends on the "natural color" of the Magister

Aug 10, 2018 at 10:57 AM Post #1,819 of 9,926
A different path : What do you think of pairing between Magister and Fostex HPV1 portable amp ?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #1,820 of 9,926
Hi all,

Special version of the Kennerton Thror seen in Hong Kong this summer.

The cups are not in bog oak; probably in sapele wood ?

AVShow2018_41-694x390.jpg

http://www.hao4k.com/thread-29574-1-1.html

EDIT :

1534808831-screenshot-20180821-014533.png

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179635902.html#p179635902

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #1,821 of 9,926
Note the release in September 2018 of a new competitor for the Kennerton Thror: the new Hifiman HE1000 se (for special edition) which will cost the same price as the Kennerton Thror ($ 3,500 USD or 2,990 €).

It is distinguished from the Hi-Fiman HE-1000 V2 by its improved sensitivity: 96 db / 1 mW - 35 Ohm for the Hifiman1000 se versus 90 dB / 1 mW - 35 Ohm for HEK V2 ; thanks to the use of neodymium magnets for this new Hifiman HE1000 se (just like the Thror and the Odin :beyersmile: ).

As a reminder, the sensitivity of the Odin mk2 and the Odin mk3 Thridi is 104 dB / 1 mW - 42 Ohm and that of the Thror 100 dB / 1 mW - 42 Ohm.

Regarding the sound quality, the Kennerton Thror FR differs from the Hifiman HEK (V1) FR by a level of treble less emphasized, while remaining very distinguished and natural, and with a better dynamics for the bass; the Thror is for my ear more neutral and less colorful in addition to being more dynamic.

Aug 17, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #1,822 of 9,926
Always about the new HE1000se (special edition).

Quote this article of headfonics.com:

" Hifiman HE1000se
Scheduled to ship in September at a suggested retail price of $3,499, the new HE1000se [Special Edition] is the third version of HiFiMan’s distinguished HE1000, featuring increased sensitivity for superior performance when paired with every imaginable source, from audiophile-grade source components to high-resolution digital audio players — even tablets and smartphones.

Fang_Bian_BW_headshotedited-150x150.jpg
“The HE1000 is by far one of our most popular high-performance luxury headphones to date, and with good reason,” said Dr. Fang Bian, Founder and CEO, HIFIMAN. “No other headphone in its price range comes close to offering the same level of engagement when listening to high fidelity audio.

As popular as it may be, I believe it’s important to keep pushing the envelope with revisions that present a dramatic improvement in sound while maintaining the essence of what made the original such an overwhelming success with music fans and audiophiles who invest in the best equipment for enjoying their favorite recordings.”

The previous model, HE1000 V2, is one of the best-reviewed headphones in the high-performance personal audio market. Cited by multiple reviewers as being the finest headphone in its price range, it could easily have been left as is, but Dr. Bian is a firm believer that even the best can always be made demonstrably better. "

https://headfonics.com/2018/08/hifiman-he1000se-and-he6se-launched/

I am very curious, for the future, for a direct comparison of the new Hifiman HE1000se (which should be released in September) with the Kennerton Thror, the flagship of the brand Kennerton (of same price as the HE1000se), already available few months, both for the sound quality, and also for the build quality ; these two high-end planar headphones used on the same source and the same quality amplifier.

See also : Kennerton Thror (and specification) : https://kennerton.com/thror

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #1,823 of 9,926
Hi all,

Here is the link to a review (unfortunately paying) concerning a great comparison of the best planar headphones of the moment:

390_thumb_1.jpg

https://www.magzter.com/SG/SPH-Magazines-Pte-Ltd/HWM-Singapore/Lifestyle/293235

18082612051323553815863303.jpg

Concerning the Kennerton Thror, I allowed myself to make a partial quote from this review (see below) as well as a summary of the positive and negative points of the headphones compared in this review.

ABYSS AB-1266 PHI CC
42 Ohm
88 dB/mW
620 g
+ : Stellar imaging and wide soundstage. Head-shaking bass.
- : Uncorfortable to wear for long periods. Uneven tonality.

AUDEZE LCD-4
200 Ohm
97 dB/mW
600 g
+ : Great look, lush signature, out-of-the-world bass response.
- : Uneven treble makes it less than ideal wich some music genres.

FINAL D8000
60 Ohm
98 dB / mW
523 g
+ : Well built, excellent tonality accros the entire frequency response.
- : Heavy cable and does not look that special.

HIFIMAN SUSVARA
60 Ohm
83 dB / mW
450 g
+ : Magnificent sound, super comfortable to wear .
- : Build quality is less than ideal ; requires high-end gear to sound its best.

MRSPEAKERS ETHER FLOW
23 Ohm
96 dB / mW
400 g
+ : Great tonality, immensly comfortable, great value.
- : Sound lack the refinement and resolution of some of its rivals.

KENNERTON THROR
42 Ohm
100 dB / mW
480 g
+ : Excellent sound, easy to drive, charming looks.
- : Hard to wear, some sizzle in the treble.

... and even more in this review concerning the KennertonThror (partial quote below)

" Thror is the successor to Odin and has numerous improvements mostly to the driver to improve its sound and to its design to reduce weight and improve comfort.
The driver is made in-house and remains 80 mm large but it has been tweaked for a better tonal balance and higher resolution. Impedance remains at 42 Ohm but sensitivity has dipped from 104 dB/mW in the Odin to 100 dB/mW in the Thror. Nevertheless, it remains to be the only headphones here with a three digit sensitivity rating. The other major improvement is weight. At 480 g, the Thror is still fairly heavy, but this actually represents a 200 g reduction or nearly 30% compared to the Odin.
Kennerton has also made improvements in other areas. The Thror commes packaged in a beautiful wooden case and is accompanied by a 2-meter long detachable single-ended braided cable that terminates in a 6.35 mm plug. The cable is quite stiff but at least it is light and not as cumbersome as the Abyss.
The Thror itself feels solidly put together with quality materials. Aerospace-grade aluminium and steel are used for the yokes and headband adjustement system, the ears cups are made out of exotic bog oak wood, while the ears pads are soft lambskin leather.
The headband adjustement system bears mention because it is incredibly fussy to use. The idea is to give owners the freedom to adjust the height and position of the cups and then use the fasteners to secure it in place. In practice, it took me a quite good number of attempts before I got the Thror properly sized. Once the Thror is sized, it is actually surprisingly comfortable. Much of this is due to the well-padded leather strap of the suspension headband, and also because of the Thror's reduced weight.
Underneath that cumbersome headband adjustement system is actually a very good sounding headphones.
Whiles the Audeze is a tad dark and the Abyss too bright, the Thror treads a very good middle ground alongside peers like the Final and Hifiman. Like the Final and Hifiman, the Thror's tonality is mostly even. The bass is emphatic but well controlled with no signs of bloat. On the other hand, the mids and treble are both well portrayed and have a fairly good transition.
My only complaint is that I hear a slight spike in the treble which manifests are somme sizzle and sibilance. But Otherwise, vocals sound natural with the right amount of body, while pianos are delivered with life-like realism.
Because of its very balanced sound, the Thror excels in all genres of music like a good headphone should. Audio performance certainly commensurates with its asking price, and so does its build quality.
At the end of it all, the only major letdown of the Thror is its frustrating headband adjustement system. If that doesn't bother you, there is a good chance you will find the Thror to be a thoroughly charming and enjoyable headphone. "

18082612051223553815863302.jpg

EDIT :

... and even more in this review concerning the Abyss AB-1266 Phi CC (partial quote below).

" The sound is expansive and the soundstage is one of the widest of the headphones assembled here. Imaging is good too and you can clearly make out the position of instruments in the mix. Also excellent is the bass response, which is typical of planar magnetics, but AB-1266 Phi CC renders them excellentely and with so much authoritary that they almost appear tangible. However, the overall tonality is uneven. The mids are forward but have a hollow quality to them, causing vocals to lack foundation and sound breathy. The upper mids to treble has too much energy, causing snare drums, cymbals, and the like to have a crinkly and sizzling sound.
If it reads like AB-1266 Phi CC sounds bad, it doesn't. Its soundstage is impressive and its imaging abilities are second to none. Its speed, clarity, and bass performance are also exemplary. But in this compagny of world-class headphones, its less than ideal tonality and other shortcomings are amplified and glaring. "

... and even more in this review concerning the AUDEZE LCD-4 (partial quote below).

"While earlier LCD headphones were noted for their dark sound signature, recent revisions have gravitated toward a more neutral and even tone. Still, the LCD-4 retains the awesome bass response they've been known for. Bass extends incredibly deep and is amazingly texturated and clean. The midrange is crystalline, buttery smooth, and present, which gives vocals and guitars a lush and almost gooey presentation.
Past LCD headphones were slightly rolled off in the treble, but the LCD-4 sounds far more neutral. As a result, the LCD-4 is brighter than its predecessors. Treble is clear and non-fatiguing, but therie is some unevenness that makes it sound unnatural. There also seems to be some elevation in the treble, causing a bit of harshness on some tracks.
Objectively, I do not regard the LCD-4 as the most technically competent headphones, but its signature is so alluring and easy to listen to that I think a lot of music lovers won't mind. It excels in all modern genres of music but struggles with classical and some forms of instrumentals because of its less than ideal treble presentation. Still, the upside to this is that treble sensitive folks should find this headphone very pleasing. "

... and even more in this review concerning the Hifiman Susvara (partial quote below).

" But once it does sing, you will find that it does a great many things well and is hard to fault. Thanks to the Susvara's ultra-thin Nanometer Grade diaphragm, the first thing I noticed about the Susvara was its amazing speed and agility. The driver sounds hyper-responsive, almost electrostatic-like. What also impressed me were its precise imaging, wide sounstage, and most of all, its amazing tonality.
The sound was extremely even throughout the entire frequency range. Bass, mids, and treble are all evenly presented and they sound powerful and unrestrained. The treble, in particular, is well articulated and very sweet. This allows pianos to be rendered very realistically in their full glory - something very hard to do because of the complexity of piano tones.
If there is anything wrong, I would say the bass is a tad soft and coul be textured, but that's only a very, very minor complaint. In terms of realism, I find the Susvara to be unmatched.
In the end, I find myself feeling conflicted about the Susvara. It isn't the best headphones to live with. Its build quality is seriously lacking for a product of its price, and its inefficient drivers necessitate the need for an equally high-end and big amplifier to get the best out of it. But if you can look past these shortcomings and have the cash to splash, what you will be getting is one of the best sounding headphones ever made. "

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,825 of 9,926
eric65, what was the summary to the article? How did the Thror stack up to the rest?

// Alex

Hi Alex.

No ranking for these six planar headphones in this review, nor notes, nor summary, which is unusual for a comparative review of headphones.

Just a full description of these six planar headphones with positive reviews, and what is more rare (and appreciable) some negative reviews.
Also a table summarizing the specifications of these six headphones (weight, impedance, sensitivity, price)

If we read between the lines we guess the preferences of the author of the article, in the absolute, for the Hifiman Susvara for the sound for those who have the money (including to pay a very qualitative and powerful amp) and do not pay too much attention to the quality of the headphone's build.

Among the best-built headphones are the LCD-4 and the Thror.

The Thror is worth its price according to the author of this review ; It is open to all musical genres and its tonality is among the best with the Hifiman Susvara and the Final D8000.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #1,826 of 9,926
Hi alex.

No ranking for these six planar headphones in this review, nor notes, nor summarize, which is unusual for a comparative review of headphones.

Just a full description of these six planar headphones with positive reviews, and what is more rare (and appreciable) some negative reviews.
Also a table summarizing the specifications of these six headphones (weight, impedance, sensitivity, price)

If we read between the lines we guess the preferences of the author of the article, in the absolute, for the Hifiman Susvara for the sound for those who have the money (including to pay a very qualitative and powerful amp) and do not pay too much attention to the quality of the headphone's build.

Among the best-built headphones are the LCD-4 and the Thror.

The Thror is worth its price according to the author of this review.

I listened to the Tror briefly and my only criticism is the material that they used for the grille. It is quite shiny and looks cheap.

Despite this, I have placed my order and I look forward to trying them more in-depth.

// Alex

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #1,827 of 9,926
I listened to the Tror briefly and my only criticism is the material that they used for the grille. It is quite shiny and looks cheap.

Despite this, I have placed my order and I look forward to trying them more in-depth.

// Alex

If it bothers you and you don't mind the extra weight, maybe ask the Kennerton team if you can get the Odin mk2 grills instead.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,828 of 9,926

// Alex

The external metal grilles (in Zinc) of the Odin mk2 are much heavier: 120 g more than those of the Thror made of composite material.

Personally, the T-design of the grid of Thror is very successful and brings a strong personality to the headphone, in addition to wooden cups in rare wood, and the adjustment system of the headband, quite particular, criticism for handling (complicated to use), but original.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #1,829 of 9,926
The external metal grilles (in Zinc) of the Odin mk2 are much heavier: 120 g more than those of the Thror made of composite material.

Personally, the T-design of the grid of Thror is very successful and brings a strong personality to the headphone, in addition to wooden cups in rare wood, and the adjustment system of the headband, quite particular, criticism for handling (complicated to use), but original.

I absolutely love the design, it is only the material that I don't like. I would have preferred a black anodised aluminum.

// Alex

Aug 26, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #1,830 of 9,926
I absolutely love the design, it is only the material that I don't like. I would have preferred a black anodised aluminum.

// Alex

I understand.

For information, the Zinc had been chosen for the grids of the Odin (mk1 and mk2) for its inertia and the absence of resonance. But it's a very heavy metal.

The external grids of the Thror could have been made of aluminum (this was a moment considered), but the search for a maximum weight reduction led to choosing a composite material weighing only 20 g for the two grids!

18020103103923553815527238.jpg

Here the new external grids of the Odin mk3 (Thridi) in composite material (at right in the photo).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back