Kennerton LSA HP2
Nov 9, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #91 of 150
I find that they have great bass, but it is not the boom-boom type. I compared them to the Grado GH2's and Focal Elex's. The latter two were thumpier, but the bass was a lot more messy and unfocused. I have never heard a headphone that cuts bass this cleanly. While listening to them, the words that go through my mind are; clear, clean, precise and well-defined. They are a completely different definition of bass from the Cascades. Just doing quick A-B's they sound so much cleaner than my Grado's, Elex's and HE6se's. It will be really interesting to test these against my HD660's. I was nervous about this buy, but I have really hit some home runs lately (he says oblivously as he keeps trying to sell off other headphones :relaxed: ).

The bass texture is great I just like there to be a bit more thump to it and once I kick it up about 3 or 4 dB it's just about perfect. Other than that I really don't find any faults with the headphone and it's one of the best dynamic driver based headphones I've heard.

Nov 14, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #92 of 150
Well, I have just finished 14 days straight of listening to these headphones. Going by the description of these, and to a lesser degree, the Gjallahorn's I was hoping for a very clean and clear headphone with solid bass.

Right off the bat it was clean and clear, but seemed bass light. It took me a week to figure that there was lots of bass but that it was a different kind of bass. It was very clean, just like the mids and highs. So instead of being boom-boom like the Cascades or even the Elex's, you can make out every drum strike and you can even hear the bass guitar or cello clearly, when you listen for it.
I did some very brief head to head comparisons and these seem much more clear than the Elex's, the Grado GH2's and the HE6se V2's.
The mids are Awesome and crystal clear. The treble is as much as I need and the bass is different from anything else I own. There is no blur or bloom. You can hear each individual instrument.
They are SUPER light and the pads are very deep and comfortable for me. I also like the generic 3.5mm connectors. I use the Hart Audio Cables for my whole system.
All my listening is done with a system that is a Bifrost 2 feeding three amps via a switcher. My final thoughts are:
1) Liquid Platinum didn't really do it for me.
2) Violectric sounded good and filled them out nicely.
3) iFi Pro iCAN is AWESOME with these! I run the amp in tube mode with low gain. I set the bass boost at 20hz (middle setting) and the 3D on the first setting, 30/+.
I have gone through every section on my collection, which is almost 7,000 pieces of music. My tastes are new rock, classic rock, blues, horn jazz. Also, I am a quiet listener and rarely/never go above 75Db's. Outside of poorly recorded music or bad copies everything sounds great.
Lastly, I was doing some ironing on Friday and so I unhooked from the system and went direct from my Sony DAP, the NW-ZX300. I used balanced out in low gain. The volume stayed around 62, out of 120. Really nice sound, but not quite as full or bassy as the full system, which is to be expected.
After just two weeks, I may still be in the shiny new phase, but I LOVE these things! I am also very curious about Kennerton open headphones now.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #93 of 150
Excellent! Thank you for the updates, I too find them filling out nicely and just becoming more complete with more time. I really like these cans... WooHa!!! 🤠

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #94 of 150
Put these back on a few days ago. I was going through my collection and these were sounding good, but not overwhelming. Then I realized that maybe I was playing them a bit too low. I pulled out my decible meter and I was indeed low. I try to keep the body of my music under 70Db's, with peaks going up to 70/71/72Db's.

Turned it up and everything sounded great and the bass was kicking. I spent a whole afternoon with Freddie Hubbard. I bought nine albums on iTunes for about $9.00, four and a half years ago. A steal of a deal!

Speaking of detail (smooth switch huh?), I made a new discovery the other day. I was playing a bunch of Genesis, including solo stuff from Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel and Mike and the Mechanics.
I was listening to Peter Gabriel singing Solsbury Hill and the vocals were shifting left/right, left/right, left/right very quickly. I though maybe my headphones were damaged. I grabbed my Grado GH2's and plugged them in and low and behold, it was still there, but not nearly as noticeable. I am not a huge Peter Gabriel fan, but I have probably played that song a 100 times over a few decades and never noticed that before. Wow.

Speaking of which I got my set-up running this morning and I quickly noticed that the left cup was cutting out infrequently. I checked the connection and it was tight. Hmmm. I decided the pull the cable completely and re-insert. Perfect!

These headphones are AWESOME and do every kind of music very well. I have decided that they are too nice and too expensive (for me) to be used as a work 'phones when I eventually return to the workforce.
I think they have risen to the top of my collection.
:L3000:
My new work 'phones may be due tomorrow. I picked up the Focal Elegia's for $379.00 last week.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #95 of 150
"I was playing a bunch of Genesis". The early stuff when most of the original group was together, put out some incredible music...Foxtrot, Seconds Out, Wind and Wuthering, Genesis Live, and my all time favorite: Selling England by the Pound. Excellent for the HP-2' I've been enjoying Genesis' masterpieces since '73. 😉

Dec 20, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #96 of 150
Put these back on today to block the wife. We have an open kitchen into the livingroom. She is baking, banging and talking on the phone. Had to go from the Very fun HE6se V2's to the smooth and precise LSA HP-2's. Wow, are these nice!

Started with a new album by BADBADNOTGOOD and then moved into a few old songs from Simply Red and now into new live music from Donald Fagen and Steely Dan. The bass really stands out, but as very sharp clean strikes, not a bang, boom or rumble. Much like the vocals, the horns and the guitars. I had been avoiding these for a while to test closed backs and give others a chance. But these really are now my best headphone. I love variety and different sound signatures but these do everything so well.

I am feeling pretty content these days, but I must admit that I am really curious about more Kennerton. Maybe in 2022...

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #97 of 150
Put these back on today to block the wife. We have an open kitchen into the livingroom. She is baking, banging and talking on the phone. Had to go from the Very fun HE6se V2's to the smooth and precise LSA HP-2's. Wow, are these nice!

Started with a new album by BADBADNOTGOOD and then moved into a few old songs from Simply Red and now into new live music from Donald Fagen and Steely Dan. The bass really stands out, but as very sharp clean strikes, not a bang, boom or rumble. Much like the vocals, the horns and the guitars. I had been avoiding these for a while to test closed backs and give others a chance. But these really are now my best headphone. I love variety and different sound signatures but these do everything so well.

I am feeling pretty content these days, but I must admit that I am really curious about more Kennerton. Maybe in 2022...
Which of your hpa do you prefer to use with the LSA HP-2?….(I really enjoy the Gjallarhorn JM Edition with Woo WA6…and with FLA FA-22…)

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #98 of 150
Which of your hpa do you prefer to use with the LSA HP-2?….(I really enjoy the Gjallarhorn JM Edition with Woo WA6…and with FLA FA-22…)
They sound great out of my Violectric V220.
Today I was using my iFi Pro iCAN with all features enabled. The bass was POPPING today.:L3000:

Dec 21, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #99 of 150

Regarding the Kennerton line, I too would like to try the gh50 JM Gjallarhorn...And maybe the LSA HP-1 but not I'm sure how the open backs would go in the household:😀

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #100 of 150
Regarding the Kennerton line, I too would like to try the gh50 JM Gjallarhorn...And maybe the LSA HP-1 but not I'm sure how the open backs would go in the household:😀
The Gjallarhorn GH50 and JM Edition are closed-back h/p.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #101 of 150
They sound great out of my Violectric V220.
Today I was using my iFi Pro iCAN with all features enabled. The bass was POPPING today.:L3000:
…so…the bass was popping, Shane D was bopping, the cat was flopping…the good times weren’t stopping…

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #102 of 150
Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #103 of 150
My LSA HP-2's arrived today. I always play Les Misérables: In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall when trying out a new set of headphones. With most tryouts I end up skipping a few tracks. Today I listened to the entire concert without skipping or even getting up to take a break. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. I don't even talk like that but typing out emotions is awkward. I've been using excellent open-back headphones for the last 10 years (Sennheiser HD600/Focal Clear) but this was something special. Not much else to say. (Windows PC running Amazon Music via USB to RME ADI-2 DAC with LSA HP-2 straight out of box with stock cable)

Jan 6, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #104 of 150
My LSA HP-2's arrived today. I always play Les Misérables: In Concert at the Royal Albert Hall when trying out a new set of headphones. With most tryouts I end up skipping a few tracks. Today I listened to the entire concert without skipping or even getting up to take a break. It was an absolutely wonderful experience. I don't even talk like that but typing out emotions is awkward. I've been using excellent open-back headphones for the last 10 years (Sennheiser HD600/Focal Clear) but this was something special. Not much else to say. (Windows PC running Amazon Music via USB to RME ADI-2 DAC with LSA HP-2 straight out of box with stock cable)
They really are awesome. Enjoy!:thumbsup:

Feb 10, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #105 of 150
Enjoying this thread. Bought mine a few months ago and stopped searching headphones. Like when you find a pair of speakers that you just love the way they sound, you find happiness, and you’re good-to-go.
I’ve run mine with an XDuoo tube hybrid and Schitt Asgard 3 solid state. Awesome in both.
Have a Topping A90 on the way, which has a true balanced out. Considering a Kennerton balanced cable to use this output.
Anyone gone balanced with the LSA’s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back