Kef x300a wireless or Audioengine 5+
May 13, 2015 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

RobDogg

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone just looking at getting some desk speakers for my home macbook. Going to be used to listen to music as well as watching movies. I am trying to decide between KEF x300a wireless & Audioengine 5+ but am unsure which to go with. I am unable to  listen to the KEF's as no local store here has any set-up for a demo listen, when I was overseas however I managed to have a listen to the Audioengine 5+'s however unfortunately I have no way on comparing the two speakers. I have read up on both these speakers however I cannot find anything that directly compares the two.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

May 13, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 6
Monoprice 5" studio monitors, $170.79 (pair)
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=115&cp_id=11504&cs_id=1150401&p_id=605500&seq=1&format=2

JBL LSR305 studio monitors $260 (pair)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/998214-REG/jbl_lsr305_sr305_5_2_way_powered.html

This cable will connect the Mac to the studio monitors, $3.79
(1/8" Stereo Male-Dual TS Male)
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP153

You could get a Schiit Modi DAC ($99 + tax/shipping) or Hifimediy USB DAC ($57 + shipping ($8?))
They should have a better DAC chip then the Mac, just not sure how much a noticeable improvement in audio quality, over the Mac's DAC chip.

May 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 6
I haven't heard the KEF X300A, but I can't imagine that they KEF X300 series isn't a good bit better than the A5+. And in the price range of the KEF X300A, there are definitely other speaker setups you should consider before the Audioengines.

May 15, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 6
I have the Kef X300a. It is quite good speakers, better than the Dali Kubik (free + xtra) and XTZ S-800 I had before them. I have also tried several bookshelf speakers (Dali, Tannoy, Focal). I liked the KEF X300a the most. One drawback with them is that you can not add a subwoofer, as these do not have sub/pre-out. The amplifier is also class a/b so they do get a little warmer than class d amped speakers. I can add that I really liked the B&W mm-1 desktop speakers also. They are much smaller, but sound amazing for their price and size.
Unfortunately I have not heard the Audioengine 5+, or other Audioengine speakers.

May 18, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #5 of 6
I have been using X300A since early this year. My previous bookshelf was Audioengine A5 using it for 4 years. X300A is an amazing speaker, the sound coming out is super clean and clear. Very wide stereo separation and soundstage is good. Bass is tight and controlled not booming. If you are music bass head, skip these because there is no sub-woofer out. Audioengine A5 has more bass and acceptable highs and I can say it is an all rounder. But X300A has an amazing high especially for vocal. Human voice sound so real. 

The only reasons not to buy X300A are they only have two input options: USB and 1/8" mini jack. And they cost way much more than A5.

I listen to lossless music using the dedicated X300A USB. For PS3 and movie I use the 1/8" mini jack run via desktop DAC (Maverick D1). In this way I have another output for my sub-woofer. PSB Subseries 100 is good enough for a small room. Watching movie and play PS3 on these speakers are awesome. $800 will worth for so many years to come.

Jun 12, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #6 of 6
I have both X300A and A5 (not the + model however). The X300A is in another league. A real budget "audiophile" system. The A5's are great party speakers with a good "boppy" sound and capable of great entertainment, but the X300A's are much more refined, offer better separation of instruments, air, soundstage, and treble and upper mids on the X300's are superb, real "shimmer" to the percussive sounds. Highly recommend the X300A's. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back