KEF new headphones!
Jul 31, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #466 of 685
I have the M200 but not had a chance to use the C5. On the strength of these IEMs I purchased the M500s.

KEF have taken a similar approach to both their products, the only way I can explain it is that in terms of sound and acoustics they do not excel in one particular area but across the whole spectrum.

This will suit some but not others but what I can tell you is they are more comfortable and better sound than any of the B&W range (I have also owned the P3 & P5).

I have tried both in different environments, for example I used the M500s on a flight, they do not isolate a 100% but then they are not noise cancelling headphones. But they were comfortable enough to use throughout the flight and blocked out most of the noise.

The M500s are becoming a bit of an obsession, I can't wait to put them on again, there is something about their quality which i have not experienced in other headphones.

IMHO, when it comes to headphones, KEF are definitely sitting at the top table.

Jul 31, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #467 of 685
@mcook1970 what would you say are the biggest difference sound wise between your M500 and the M200 and which do,you find you use the most?

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #468 of 685
The M500s are becoming a bit of an obsession, I can't wait to put them on again, there is something about their quality which i have not experienced in other headphones.

I know what you mean. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #469 of 685
@mcook1970 what would you say are the biggest difference sound wise between your M500 and the M200 and which do,you find you use the most?

The M500s are better for all round listening, I tend to use the M200 for public transport / short commuter trips. Don't really know why, it's not a conscious thing, I guess i feel more comfortable wearing IEMs when I am travelling.

Soundwise, the M500s i find more compelling, the M200s are great for an IEM but there is something about the M500s that make it an absolute luxury. KEF have paid a lot of attention to detail, tiny little things such as how the earpads can adjust based on their placement on the ear, their comfort and tangle-free cable.

I love them! :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #470 of 685
wow, should have waited for your response :frowning2: LOL. I ended up ordering a pair of M200 because curiosity got the best of me. Oh well I will do a review of them both and decide if I want to keep the M200 or not afterwards :).

I also prefer an IEM for when I am on the train so will see if it can replace any of my current IEM's or not.

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #471 of 685
Greetings, I've just bought a pair of the M500's today and would be grateful for some suggestions as to good patnering amps to go with it.
Right now all I'm using is an iPod Nano 5g with a Zo; can't listen via Zo at the moment as the dock connector is on the blink so not sure what to do right now - replace Nano and use line-out cable with new headphone amp, or go with a different source.

Funds are limited unfortubately as this wasn't a planned purchase! Been listening for the past couple of hours straight out the box and it's been a little painful to be honest, with extremely harsh treble and not a little sharpness. Hoping this is either mostly attributable to them being brand new(leaving them playing music as I go off to bed)or that the Nano(headphone socket)just isn't really up to letting them give of anything approaching a nice sound ...?

So, whatever source I go with(replacement Nano, new iPod touch, something else?)I don't really know which headphone amps to begin to look at that would partner well with the M500's.

I would be really grateful for any help/advice with this! Many thanks for reading.

Be well.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #472 of 685
wow, should have waited for your response :frowning2: LOL. I ended up ordering a pair of M200 because curiosity got the best of me. Oh well I will do a review of them both and decide if I want to keep the M200 or not afterwards :).

I also prefer an IEM for when I am on the train so will see if it can replace any of my current IEM's or not.

You will not be disappointed with the M200s, if you like IEMs then you will love these, wonderfully designed and sonically awesome!

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #474 of 685
Greetings, I've just bought a pair of the M500's today and would be grateful for some suggestions as to good patnering amps to go with it.
Right now all I'm using is an iPod Nano 5g with a Zo; can't listen via Zo at the moment as the dock connector is on the blink so not sure what to do right now - replace Nano and use line-out cable with new headphone amp, or go with a different source.

Funds are limited unfortubately as this wasn't a planned purchase! Been listening for the past couple of hours straight out the box and it's been a little painful to be honest, with extremely harsh treble and not a little sharpness. Hoping this is either mostly attributable to them being brand new(leaving them playing music as I go off to bed)or that the Nano(headphone socket)just isn't really up to letting them give of anything approaching a nice sound ...?

So, whatever source I go with(replacement Nano, new iPod touch, something else?)I don't really know which headphone amps to begin to look at that would partner well with the M500's.

I would be really grateful for any help/advice with this! Many thanks for reading.

Be well.

I own a number of different Fiio amps - E6, E11, E12 and E17, probably too much choice Lol!

For the M500s, i prefer the E12 as they are quite neutral sounding compared with the others and IMO bring out the best out of the KEFs. I also use a Big Sur line out cable to connect the amp to my iPod.

You can find a review of the E12 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650683/fiio-e12-review

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #475 of 685

Be well.

Play some fast bassy music when you're not listening to them. Burn in will take away some of the initial harshness. However if you've been listening with a ZO then you're probably just used to a lot of extra bass, so a neutral headphone like the M500 will sound very trebly to you. Give your ears and brain some time to adjust.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:49 AM Post #476 of 685
I don't know, guys.

I've been trying the M500 for three days now. Two words come to my mind to describe the sound signature: fast. And honky.

Fast as lightning, really. Incredible speed and attack, never heard this in a portable can (not that I've tried many, I'll admit).

But those upper mids. It's not a treble problem: treble is smooth and controlled. There's no hint of sibilance, no screeching, no piercing snare drums. But I do find the signature honky. Even more so than with the AD2k, because here there's much less separation and soundstage. The M500 literally shouts those upper mids in my ears. It's not a terrible thing, but it does mean that I must keep the volume a little lower than I'd like... and on the other end of the spectrum, yes, I do find the M500 bass-light. There's bass, but it has very little authority. Of course, when lowering the volume, the bass is the first thing to disappear...

I probably need to spend more head time with the M500, but for now, it's not what I was expecting. Fun and exciting... but it sounds "wrong" to me.

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #477 of 685
What resolution is the music files you are playing and what player are you using? 

I find that the M500 gives you whatever is on the recording and whatever your source, amp, etc is delivering. 

Another thing is that there are a lot of headphones that bump the bass up and roll off the treble to give an artificially smooth sound. I think people might think that is accurate since it is so common these days. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #478 of 685
What resolution is the music files you are playing and what player are you using? 

I find that the M500 gives you whatever is on the recording and whatever your source, amp, etc is delivering. 

Another thing is that there are a lot of headphones that bump the bass up and roll off the treble to give an artificially smooth sound. I think people might think that is accurate since it is so common these days. 

iPod Classic and iPod Touch, VBR0 mp3 and some lossless.

As I said, I don't find the treble rolled off - on the contrary, it's just not emphasised. An excessively smooth treble is boring to me, or so I think after trying the HD650.

I would't say I'm a basshead, but after trying the HE-400, I think that that kind of bass, deep, authoritative and impactful, is very pleasing to my ears. The M500's bass is indeed accurate, but it lacks the presence I like.

You really don't think the M500 has an emphasis on vocals? I just can't stand it past half-level volume on the iPod. Good thing that it provides excellent isolation: at half volume, I couldn't hear my cellphone ring just beside me. Leakage also seems minimal.

Aug 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #479 of 685
The M500 has excellent isolation? I beg to differ...

When on the bus, I always have to put on my iems due to its weak isolation.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #480 of 685
Quote:

I agree with you. I'm not hearing the crap that others are hearing with these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back