Kef M500 or Bose qc 15?
Jan 16, 2014 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Goblix

New Head-Fier
Hi!

I want ro know wich one is better! .. i will wear these at school, have them for traveling and just have them where ever i go!.. i want to know wich one is more comfortable, sounds better, have better features, will last longer and wich one is more portable!

Jan 16, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 14
The Kefs are much more durable and have better sound all around. The Bose sound horrible for the price but they have amazing noise canceling. Both have replaceable cables. The Kef are on-ear, not over-ear, so they don't block much noise. The Bose are the king of noise isolation. If you care more about sound quality and durability I'd get the Kefs. If you're going to baby them and only need noise isolation then get the Bose.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 14
Try PSB's M4U2, I got them over the holiday for traveling and they are fantastic. Noise cancellation is good (though this is the one thing that the Bose QC15s have over every other NC headphone), but sound quality is REALLY good, especially for a noise-cancelling can. It has three modes: noise cancelling on (sounds good), noise cancelling off but amplifier on (sounds the best) and all off or passive, which is still pretty good for a set sold primarily as a noise-cancelling one. Price is about the same. Give it a try! 

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 14
I would recommend the Martin Logan Mikros 90 over the KEF M500.  IMHO, the MLs are superior to the M500 in virtually every respect--unless you must have mid bass emphasis in the sound.

Jan 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 14
  I would recommend the Martin Logan Mikros 90 over the KEF M500.  IMHO, the MLs are superior to the M500 in virtually every respect--unless you must have mid bass emphasis in the sound.

I will say this about the Mikros, if you have a big head like I do, they aren't that comfortable. I've tried them and they squeezed. (I tried 3 pairs and all were the same)

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 14
  I will say this about the Mikros, if you have a big head like I do, they aren't that comfortable. I've tried them and they squeezed. (I tried 3 pairs and all were the same)

The band can be--and has been by several users--gently bent/reformed and actually molded to the contours of your skull.  Float your concern on the Mikros 90 thread, or contact the ML service rep.  There is at least one user there who reformed and "customized" the fit of his band.  The Martin Logan rep also reportedly mentioned that some of their employees had done the reshaping, too.

For me, the clamping force has relaxed abit over time, too, but I never found them uncomfortable in their "stock" band configuration.

I have been listening to the Mikros 90 for the last few months and--IMHO--their sonic capability is orders of magnitude above and beyond the M500.  They have kept me up late longer than any other headphones I have ever owned, and still continue to surprise, even stagger, me with their sonic and technical facility.  They easily rival--and surpass--just about every other headphone/earphone I have tried. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 14
  The band can be--and has been by several users--gently bent/reformed and actually molded to the contours of your skull.  Float your concern on the Mikros 90 thread, or contact the ML service rep.  There is at least one user there who reformed and "customized" the fit of his band.  The Martin Logan rep also reportedly mentioned that some of their employees had done the reshaping, too.

For me, the clamping force has relaxed abit over time, too, but I never found them uncomfortable in their "stock" band configuration.

I have been listening to the Mikros 90 for the last few months and--IMHO--their sound quality is orders of magnitude above and beyond the M500.  They have kept me up late longer than any other headphones I have ever owned, and still continue to surprise, even stagger, me with their capabilities.  They easily rival--and surpass--just about every other headphone/earphone I have tried. 

I'm not worried about them not fitting :) I actually know one of the ML reps and was talking to him about it when he brought me a demo set. They def do sound good.

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 14
This thread only serves to demonstrate how extremely subjective 'better' is when it comes to HiFi, rendering these questions fairly pointless.

Often the suggestion you get depends more on whichever member replies to you first than anything else.

That is not to say that the Mikros or the KEFs are better than each other (since I have not listened to either yet) just that if you're really passionate about finding the right pair of headphones, expensive listening tests are often your only option.

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Compared to my Denon D2000 and ED8, my Bose QC15 sounds good. It has plenty of bass but a bit muddy. However, if you need noise canceling they are simply the best. Even my Westone IEM Es5 does not isolate as much.

Unfortunately the build quality is not there. It almost pure plastic and cables are horrible. So everyday use will certainly break the phones. I just use them for flights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back