KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #616 of 1,358
Black friday... It would be nice to get a decent deal on a dx50 but i dont think ibasso does all that many discounts and I'm not sure how much they regulate the pricea if their resellers.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #617 of 1,358

Hey, when I started on head-fi 1.5 years ago, the $50 E11 I got seemed expensive.

I don't have any more money now than I did then, but now for some reason that seems like chump change.

Moral of the story: this is a dangerous place. 
biggrin.gif

I agree. I've been looking for a pair of mobile headphone to use directly with my phone, no amping or external DAC. I was demoing the P7 and while they were comfortable and decent sounding, that $400 price tag was not worth the sound, when you consider you can get a better sound from a pair of $200 home use open headphones like HD598. Of course you're paying for stylish looks and portability, and it's not fair to compare mobile closed backs to open headphones. But still $400 is the same price of a PS4!

I personally could not justify spending $400 for a $200 sound, even if I know it's unreasonable to compare due to the mobile limitations. I ended up ordering a pair of M500 after testing the P5 and realizing on-ears aren't too bad for me.

Nov 16, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #618 of 1,358
  I personally could not justify spending $400 for a $200 sound, even if I know it's unreasonable to compare due to the mobile limitations. I ended up ordering a pair of M500 after testing the P5 and realizing on-ears aren't too bad for me.

Yeah, the M500's stretched the budget for me, and I was a bit nervous about the purchase tbh. But they have such amazing SQ and I love them so much that it's dangerous because now I'm wondering if headphones that are $500 or $1000 (or more!) are also worth their price tag. Gulp! Scary place!

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #619 of 1,358

Yeah, the M500's stretched the budget for me, and I was a bit nervous about the purchase tbh. But they have such amazing SQ and I love them so much that it's dangerous because now I'm wondering if headphones that are $500 or $1000 (or more!) are also worth their price tag. Gulp! Scary place!

A lot of these more expensive headphones generally assume that you're gonna have an equally expensive amp/DAC setup so it ends up running even more. Having such headphones like my HE-500 or T90, I find getting a pair of bookshelf speaker in the same price range to be better. More natural sound imo. Of course, I use the T90 at work where I obviously can't be playing speakers, but I also happen to be stationary. At home, I find myself using my MartinLogan Motion 4 speakers way more than my HE-500. It's all about the setting.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #620 of 1,358
Thanks Sonido... food for thought..

Nov 18, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #621 of 1,358
I got mine today, and I'm liking what I'm hearing so far! The headphones feel really nice too!

It's on sale on Amazon Canada and Headphone Bar right now for 263 dollars.

Nov 18, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #622 of 1,358
Got it last Friday. As you, I'm really enjoying the sound right now. But I have a mini-issue: the right ear-cup don't move as freely as the left one does. Instead, it makes a little (very little) "click-like sound" when trying to move it more...

Is someone having this same problem? Sound is not affected at all between the left and right sides, and comfort is spectacularly good anyway, but I'm wondering about a more important issue in the future.

Should I return them to Amazon? (and pay for that return, because that's the problem with online only "stores"!) 

Except that, build quality and finish are superb. Since I'm no audiophile, it's hard to put the sound they produce into words, but let say that I like them a little more than the Momentum: bass seems better refined, mids and highs seems crispier. Bass is in no way as present as in other portable options (I'm looking at you, P5!!). All in all, more enjoyable. You know, this joy that you get, coming from the instant urge to listen to almost all of your library at this very moment.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #623 of 1,358
I think the click like sound is driver flex? I get it too. I have issues with keeping fit in there, otherwise the M200 are awesome for the price.  

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:27 AM Post #624 of 1,358
I think the click like sound is driver flex? I get it too. I have issues with keeping fit in there, otherwise the M200 are awesome for the price.  

I think he's referring to the m500.

Nov 19, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #625 of 1,358
Lol - kinda confusing that this thread is for both of the kef's!

Nov 19, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #626 of 1,358
Got it last Friday. As you, I'm really enjoying the sound right now. But I have a mini-issue: the right ear-cup don't move as freely as the left one does. Instead, it makes a little (very little) "click-like sound" when trying to move it more...

Is someone having this same problem? Sound is not affected at all between the left and right sides, and comfort is spectacularly good anyway, but I'm wondering about a more important issue in the future.

Should I return them to Amazon? (and pay for that return, because that's the problem with online only "stores"!) 

Except that, build quality and finish are superb. Since I'm no audiophile, it's hard to put the sound they produce into words, but let say that I like them a little more than the Momentum: bass seems better refined, mids and highs seems crispier. Bass is in no way as present as in other portable options (I'm looking at you, P5!!). All in all, more enjoyable. You know, this joy that you get, coming from the instant urge to listen to almost all of your library at this very moment.

The click is probably the smart hinge. I wouldnt worry about it. There are are a coue of torx bit screws in there when the hinge is bent, maybe give them a tighten.

Nov 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #627 of 1,358
The click is probably the smart hinge. I wouldnt worry about it. There are are a coue of torx bit screws in there when the hinge is bent, maybe give them a tighten.

I don't think it's the fault of the smart hinge. This works pretty well indeed. The problem seems to be located between the earpad and the 2 pins that hold this pad to the frame. But I will not worry about it, as you suggest :wink:

I think he's referring to the m500.

Yes I do.

But I imagine a similar issue may be present in both the 200 and the 500, since they (must) come from the same assembly line, from the same factory. Anyway, I think I'll keep them, at worst, I still have the Kef's one year warranty.

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #629 of 1,358
I'm gonna talk about them soon... Just got them and I'm so lucky the medium tips do work for me in getting a good seal.

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #630 of 1,358

Users who are viewing this thread

Back