KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2018 at 5:17 PM Post #1,261 of 1,358
So... I did try that (I have them on right now) but unfortunately that hurt about the same... I think it's just that I have big, Dumbo ears on a relatively small head. :sweat_smile: I know the M500 seems to have a reputation for being quite comfortable for on-ears, including from some of my fellow Head-Fi'ers whom I trust implicitly, so I am convinced it's just a mismatch on comfort for my ears. However, they really do sound good, and I might just get used to them. The on-ear Grado's used to hurt me more at first and now they don't so much, although in that case it probably has to do with the scratchiness of the foam softening over time....

Do you need to stretch the band a bit? I do on most headphones. I am sure I did with the KEF. I hate any amount of clamp.

Aug 18, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #1,262 of 1,358
I just picked up the Kef m500s. Newegg is running a email promo for the white ones, so they were $80. I couldn't pass the deal up and have been very happy with them so far. They are very smooth sounding headphones. Very neutral with great detail and clarity for voices. No big boomy bass or crazy shrill treble on these cans. I'm actually able to understand what these people are saying now. They don't have the detail or bass response of my hifiman he-400i, but they blow my Sennheiser momentum 1.0 out of the water. Just the comfort level alone makes them a better set of headphones than the Sennhesiers. My ears start to ache after just 30 mins or so with the momentums and the Kefs are good to go even after a couple of hours. I honestly never even listen to the momentums anymore solely based on the poor comfort they offer. The portability of these Kefs are nice as well, but the only thing that they lack is a hands free mic for my phone. These are going to be great for those long flights.

is it gone? is it email only? i dont see that insane price! only 299.99

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #1,263 of 1,358
Do you need to stretch the band a bit? I do on most headphones. I am sure I did with the KEF. I hate any amount of clamp.

I’m almost always reluctant to stretch the band, for fear of breaking the headphones. I have done it successfully for a few, but it’s actually rare I need to as my head is relatively small.

Aug 19, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #1,265 of 1,358
I’m almost always reluctant to stretch the band, for fear of breaking the headphones. I have done it successfully for a few, but it’s actually rare I need to as my head is relatively small.
I'm sorry you're having comfort issues with the KEFs. On ear phones are never going to be as good as over ears for comfort for sure. If I don't have the KEFs on just right they will start to hurt after a short time just like the Sennheisers. If I get them on just right then they can stay comfy for about 4 times as long compared to my momentums though, so on that comparison they are great. They are still no where near any of my over ear phones though. Even the Least comfortable ones I have which are the Beyerdynamic dt770 m 80 ohms are way more comfortable than the KEFs and those clamp you like a vice.

Aug 19, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,266 of 1,358
is it gone? is it email only? i dont see that insane price! only 299.99

It was a sale about a month ago, I believe, on NewEgg. I’ve seen around price on NewEgg at least twice this year. You might consider subscribing to the Deals and Discussions thread here on Head-Fi, as there are many eyes looking out for deals and in fact here’s an example of a member alerting that price on the thread on July 3.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...the-first-post.692119/page-1749#post-14338352

Sometimes, NewEgg deals in particular might only be for those signed up for their email list so you might do that as well.

Aug 23, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,267 of 1,358
Got the openbox M500. Everything is there and looks good。 But don't agree with the sound. Like the sound of M200 more. This is my first on-ear. No way to compared with those over ears like HE400i, DT990.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #1,268 of 1,358
Got the openbox M500. Everything is there and looks good。 But don't agree with the sound. Like the sound of M200 more. This is my first on-ear. No way to compared with those over ears like HE400i, DT990.

I'm with you on the M200 having a more enjoyable sound, but the M500 isn't bad. A little boring sounding but technically fine. The thinksound On2, which cost around the same back in the day, is the better sounding product imo. Of course you forgo the quality metal construction and clean, minimalist design. I think they both look excellent regardless. M200 has a very big, bassy sound, pending you can get them to seal properly and fit well. Ergonomics are :dizzy_face:. Still love em though!

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #1,269 of 1,358
I'm with you on the M200 having a more enjoyable sound, but the M500 isn't bad. A little boring sounding but technically fine. The thinksound On2, which cost around the same back in the day, is the better sounding product imo. Of course you forgo the quality metal construction and clean, minimalist design. I think they both look excellent regardless. M200 has a very big, bassy sound, pending you can get them to seal properly and fit well. Ergonomics are :dizzy_face:. Still love em though!

I agree its sound is not not good. I was disappointed since I did expect it is comparable with those full open back like HE400i etc. I may expect too much. But M200 is more open sounding then M500. The vocal of M500 is too near ears. People mainly listen to vocal may like it.

Aug 23, 2018 at 3:17 PM Post #1,270 of 1,358
I agree its sound is not not good. I was disappointed since I did expect it is comparable with those full open back like HE400i etc. I may expect too much. But M200 is more open sounding then M500. The vocal of M500 is too near ears. People mainly listen to vocal may like it.

I can see that. Would love to try pad rolling with them to see what sort of changes would occur.

Aug 23, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #1,274 of 1,358

I'm feeling good right now about having joined the most recent drop for the Thinksound ON2 on Massdrop, it as $89.99, and just shipped. :D I bought the KEF M500 for $79.99 or $89.99 (can't remember which) recently on NewEgg, but comfort is kind of iffy for me and the sound confounds me because sometimes I think it sounds really good and other times it's more "meh" for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back