KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Jun 12, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #1,233 of 1,358
Anyone of the spiral dots Work. Hard part is getting a deal that keeps. If after you get spiral dots and those don't stay/keep, I would recommend comp t200 with the top mod so it doesn't take away from the highs.

Regards

Aug 4, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,235 of 1,358
The M500 "Black Edition" is a wonderful and so beautiful headphone... Great combo with Cowon Plenue 1 !!
happy_face1.gif

Yesterday I received my black KEF M500. I love the all black look. I am also very impressed with the comfort and sound.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #1,237 of 1,358
How does it compare to the Thinksound On1 and the Beoplay H6?

That would be an interesting comparison. Give me a couple of days? I will say right now that the Kef is the most comfortable of the three.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #1,238 of 1,358
That would be an interesting comparison. Give me a couple of days? I will say right now that the Kef is the most comfortable of the three.

Thank you, @mbwilson111

There's a deal for the M500 on Massdrop and I'm considering getting them. I've heard the B6 (2nd Gen) and I have the ON2 (but I don't know how much of an upgrade it is over the ON1).

Nov 18, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #1,239 of 1,358
Thank you, @mbwilson111

There's a deal for the M500 on Massdrop and I'm considering getting them. I've heard the B6 (2nd Gen) and I have the ON2 (but I don't know how much of an upgrade it is over the ON1).

This is harder than I thought it would be. First, about the Thinksound On1 vs On2. I believe part of the difference is the build. Yours should have a better headband and maybe some other bits. There may have been slight improvements made to the sound as well but I do not think the differences are meant to be massive. Aren't they the same drivers?

Anyway I can say that the Kef are a bit brighter overall. Whether that is a good or bad depends on what you like. Both sound great. So does the H6 to me but also quite different from the other two. Probably closer to the Thinksound than to the Kef.

For me the Kef (all black version) is more stylish than the other two... more of a fashion statement ...if I were into that...

The Kef are also the most comfortable of the three for me even though they are smallish on-ears. Something about the size and shape just works for me. The Thinksound has always bothered my right ear at the top rear part for some reason. Most on ears do. Also the On1, with its fabric covered band, slides a bit on my hair when I move around but I assume you do not have that problem. The headband on the H6 bothers me after a couple of hours. I would like it to have more padding. The Kef headband works for me. I wore it all day once.

I worry about the leather pads on both the Kef and the H6, My H6 is the light color called natural and I have seen photos of what can happen to the color over time due to age and/or sweat. The Kep pads are black so no problem there but they are not user replaceable as far as I know.

What about the Kef is tempting you? You did say once that you had downsized :) Are you building up a new collection? :)

What were you hoping the Kef to be sound-wise? What do you like or not like about the On2 or the H6? I can listen a bit more for those things later if you like. Or, did you already pull the trigger:)

BTW, I wish they would ship those DD Audio DXB-04 to the UK. I would love to try them.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:21 AM Post #1,240 of 1,358
This is harder than I thought it would be. First, about the Thinksound On1 vs On2. I believe part of the difference is the build. Yours should have a better headband and maybe some other bits. There may have been slight improvements made to the sound as well but I do not think the differences are meant to be massive. Aren't they the same drivers?

Anyway I can say that the Kef are a bit brighter overall. Whether that is a good or bad depends on what you like. Both sound great. So does the H6 to me but also quite different from the other two. Probably closer to the Thinksound than to the Kef.

For me the Kef (all black version) is more stylish than the other two... more of a fashion statement ...if I were into that...

The Kef are also the most comfortable of the three for me even though they are smallish on-ears. Something about the size and shape just works for me. The Thinksound has always bothered my right ear at the top rear part for some reason. Most on ears do. Also the On1, with its fabric covered band, slides a bit on my hair when I move around but I assume you do not have that problem. The headband on the H6 bothers me after a couple of hours. I would like it to have more padding. The Kef headband works for me. I wore it all day once.

I worry about the leather pads on both the Kef and the H6, My H6 is the light color called natural and I have seen photos of what can happen to the color over time due to age and/or sweat. The Kep pads are black so no problem there but they are not user replaceable as far as I know.

What about the Kef is tempting you? You did say once that you had downsized :) Are you building up a new collection? :)

What were you hoping the Kef to be sound-wise? What do you like or not like about the On2 or the H6? I can listen a bit more for those things later if you like. Or, did you already pull the trigger:)

BTW, I wish they would ship those DD Audio DXB-04 to the UK. I would love to try them.

Well, the KEF has been described as having a rich and smooth sound, which, given that I love the HD650, is a sound signature I seek. Also like its build quality and constriction. And ultimately, I collect different headphones because I like to collect different sounds, not necessarily better.

The only thing I might dislike about the ON2 is perhaps its bass not being deep and impactful enough. Aside from that, I love the sparkle on top and its very clear sound.

The H6.. if I recall correctly, its midrange was kind of weird.. for example, the vocals were pushed back.. but like my Fidelio L1, the H6 is a weird and flawed headphone that I still enjoyed. I never bought one, though; I just think it's too overpriced.

I opted not to get the KEF and instead opted to get another IEM. I'm kind of headed into an IEM phase.

And DD Audio doesn't ship the DXB-04 to the UK? That's a damn shame. :disappointed:
And you can only get them directly from DD Audio--Nowhere else.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #1,241 of 1,358
I opted not to get the KEF and instead opted to get another IEM. I'm kind of headed into an IEM phase.

Me too..and buds..that is why it was difficult to try to compare those 3 headphones.

And ultimately, I collect different headphones because I like to collect different sounds, not necessarily better.

That is how my list has grown.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2017 at 2:04 PM Post #1,242 of 1,358

I note that you opted not to go with KEF, but in the interest of accuracy, the pads are definitely user replaceable. KEF actually sent me a free pair of replacements a year ago, when they showed them out of stock on the website.

Nov 24, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #1,243 of 1,358
I note that you opted not to go with KEF, but in the interest of accuracy, the pads are definitely user replaceable. KEF actually sent me a free pair of replacements a year ago, when they showed them out of stock on the website.

Thanks for the info. I do have the KEF. I was just responding to Lost Cosmonaut...discussing comparisons. She opted not to go with them.

I really like my KEF but I do have too many headphones. Not sure how it happened...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back