KEF M500/M200 Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,036 of 1,358
  I sold off all my M, M/L, and L Spiral dot tips before I received the M200.  I seem to recall that the nozzle tube on the tips where wider according to their appropriate tip size, but I'm not sure.  I guess I'm lucky that the stock L tips works very well for me.

This is what makes me confused, because in principle the width of the hole should be equal, and not changing with size of the tip. What increases with size tips is only the external flange.

Can someone confirm if only the L spiral dot tips work or also the M.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #1,037 of 1,358
  This is what makes me confused, because in principle the width of the hole should be equal, and not changing with size of the tip. What increases with size tips is only the external flange.

Can someone confirm if only the L spiral dot tips work or also the M.

I have both the M and L sizes. You can get the M size on the M200's. The M200's are tricky to fit though, and I think are intended for a fairly shallow insertion. The M size worked, but I got a very good fit, seal and sound using the L size on them.

If I were you, I would do what I did... get both sizes, especially if you have a few different iems. I find I am using both the M and the L size on various iems.

Feb 4, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,038 of 1,358
I found the complys fit me well enough. I tried a few different silicons tips, IE80's double ones fits, but sounds not as good as the complys to me.
After a couple more hours using, sound goes even better and seems a little easier to drive. Great SQ!

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #1,039 of 1,358
  I found the complys fit me well enough. I tried a few different silicons tips, IE80's double ones fits, but sounds not as good as the complys to me.
After a couple more hours using, sound goes even better and seems a little easier to drive. Great SQ!

I wish that I didn't find comply's so fiddly and time consuming to get inserted properly. And I wish my ears didn't get itchy with them after a while! Oh well.

Btw, a really good and fairly inexpensive dap/amp combo that the M200's sound amazing off of is the Colorfly C3 and C&C BH combo. Since putting the spiral dots on the M200's, and pairing them with the C3/BH combo, I'm pretty much amazed at what I'm hearing.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:39 PM Post #1,041 of 1,358
Do you get driver flex with the spiral dots?

Nope. I'm not sure if I've ever had driver flex with my m200's though.

Feb 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #1,042 of 1,358

I wish that I didn't find comply's so fiddly and time consuming to get inserted properly. And I wish my ears didn't get itchy with them after a while! Oh well.

Btw, a really good and fairly inexpensive dap/amp combo that the M200's sound amazing off of is the Colorfly C3 and C&C BH combo. Since putting the spiral dots on the M200's, and pairing them with the C3/BH combo, I'm pretty much amazed at what I'm hearing.

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, it's time consuming to get them fixed into the ear. But once it's done, it's comfortable enough. :)
How about combo BH2 with laptop? Thanks.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #1,043 of 1,358
Thanks for sharing! Yeah, it's time consuming to get them fixed into the ear. But once it's done, it's comfortable enough. :)
How about combo BH2 with laptop? Thanks.

Short answer: I can't answer that because I've never tried it...

Long answer...

Off of my laptop, I was never too happy with the onboard sound card SQ, so I initially got the $20 ELE DAC. It was (and is) a pretty amazing improvement over the laptop native SQ. I then got a $42 HifimeDIY Sabre Dac, which was an improvement over the ELE DAC (I'm now getting that replaced with the HifimeDIY U2 sabre dac which is $57 - all of these Hifimediy dac's are great quality for the price). Someday I'm sure that I'll get sucked into spending another $100, $200 or $1000 in a dac to get that extra 5% or 10% of SQ, but for now I'm good lol.

Off of whatever dac is hooked up to my laptop, I have been using the Fiio E12 amp. It's a great powerful portable amp that I mainly have stuck on my desk because (a) it has enough power to handle the most demanding headphones and (b) I find it too big to truly be portable. 

How's that for too much information?

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,044 of 1,358
Contact KEF like I did to get the set of tips that may fit you better.  Mine came with the silicone tips and the large fits quite nicely for a change. I received a response from them after 2 days of the initial email request. I don't need the foam tips, but it's a nice to have to experiment at the very least without costing a cent. 

The SQ at $50 is just INSANE, IMO.

Might do that, and yeah, they sound great. This is like sonic ice cream with hot fudge drizzled on top. Dat bass! And it's so well textured too.

I've somewhat found a solution to my fit issue. I tried wearing them over-the-ear with the channels reversed and voila!:ksc75smile: Good fit and seal. Instead of that arm thing wrapping over the top and around the back of your ear it wraps under it and around the back; looks a little weird, but the arm is still helping secure the IEM while the cable supports some of the weight(not much of it though, light earphone). I tried straightening the arm out while wearing them like this and they made it look like I had little black tusks! :eek:

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM Post #1,045 of 1,358

Short answer: I can't answer that because I've never tried it...

Long answer...

Off of my laptop, I was never too happy with the onboard sound card SQ, so I initially got the $20 ELE DAC. It was (and is) a pretty amazing improvement over the laptop native SQ. I then got a $42 HifimeDIY Sabre Dac, which was an improvement over the ELE DAC (I'm now getting that replaced with the HifimeDIY U2 sabre dac which is $57 - all of these Hifimediy dac's are great quality for the price). Someday I'm sure that I'll get sucked into spending another $100, $200 or $1000 in a dac to get that extra 5% or 10% of SQ, but for now I'm good lol.

Off of whatever dac is hooked up to my laptop, I have been using the Fiio E12 amp. It's a great powerful portable amp that I mainly have stuck on my desk because (a) it has enough power to handle the most demanding headphones and (b) I find it too big to truly be portable. 

How's that for too much information?

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! :) Very helpful

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #1,046 of 1,358

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation! :) Very helpful

Yer welcome. I should have mentioned that although it always comes down to synergy and preferences, the C&C BH amp would most likely sound great in a laptop --> DAC --> C&C BH --> iems or headphones configuration.

The C&C BH amp also has some interesting switches on it. The LF switch seems to elevate bass and treble, and the SF switch seems to make the soundstage larger somehow. It's a pretty cool little amp. Oh, and it has about an 80 hour life per charge lol.

Feb 4, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #1,047 of 1,358

Yer welcome. I should have mentioned that although it always comes down to synergy and preferences, the C&C BH amp would most likely sound great in a laptop --> DAC --> C&C BH --> iems or headphones configuration.

The C&C BH amp also has some interesting switches on it. The LF switch seems to elevate bass and treble, and the SF switch seems to make the soundstage larger somehow. It's a pretty cool little amp. Oh, and it has about an 80 hour life per charge lol.

Thank you very much!
beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2015 at 9:20 AM Post #1,048 of 1,358
Today I received my M200, and the bass ................. is so gooood! 

My M200 came with silicone tips and nowi  understand why some use the L size like i must use too, the seal is immediate, is a seal on the side wall of the ear canal and not a deep as usual we do.
Confort and seal with silicone tips L ... check!

Now two precautionary questions:

1 - It is usual to make a "click" noise when i do the ear seal? Ony makes the "click" when i push into the tip.

2 - Here is hear talk in Drive Flex, what is drive flex, and how I detect if my M200 do it.

Very happy with this sound !!!

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #1,049 of 1,358
Yeah, that's driver flex. Basically, pressure is causing the driver the physically contort and that's what you're hearing. I don't have any with my pair, and for the most part have never found it to be terribly problematic. If it's really bad though the driver can flex and get stuck there, really messing up the sound in one channel until you unstick it.

Feb 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,050 of 1,358
  Yeah, that's driver flex. Basically, pressure is causing the driver the physically contort and that's what you're hearing. I don't have any with my pair, and for the most part have never found it to be terribly problematic. If it's really bad though the driver can flex and get stuck there, really messing up the sound in one channel until you unstick it.

Thx.

So you saying there are M200's without drive Flex? If so is because my is defective, right?

Should I return it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back