Keepers that you will... never let go
Aug 16, 2018 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

ScareDe2

500+ Head-Fier
It been a while I am watching the trade/sale category and it is hard to find a DT1990. The DT1990 pre-owned price is also extremely solid, close to its brand new price. On the other hand, you have headphones that are more often available for sale, some of them for half their brand new value. I started to understand the meaning of this. Headphones that are regarded as masterpieces or flagships such as HD800 or T1 have inferior resell value and are available like cakes. This is going to be an interesting thread.

I do not really have keepers, but out of the dozens of headphones I owned, those remain:

Sennheiser HD250 Linear I 300 ohms
Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250 ohms
Sennheiser Amperior

To make it short, the Sennheiser HD250 Pros: Bass, neutrality, soundstage, comfort, closed back. Cons: Treble a little elevated.
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros: Bass, midrange neutrality, soundstage, comfort, closed back. Cons: elevated treble.
Sennheiser Amperior Pros: Bass, neutrality, dynamic sound, portability, closed back. Cons: treble elevated, slightly uncomfortable, soundstage is average.

:)

Aug 16, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 64
For me it's these two headphones.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home: The best all-rounder I've ever come across, never fatigues me, very comfortable. Very solid headphone all-around, does very little wrong. Cons: Somewhat u-shaped.

Beyerdynamic DT 480(any version): This is the single best headphone I've ever owned but stock tuning does leave some to be desired. Basically no grain, tons of detail, electrostatic fast, powerful dynamics, no closed-back effect it sounds open, unreal imaging. Best PRaT and timbre/tonality I've had in a headphone. Vocals are eerily real. Cons: Bass is a pain to bring out and has some glare stock. All midrange stock. Needs modding.

Aug 16, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 64
qdc Anole V3 IEM.......Purchased 2018

Sony MDR-CD-870 Headphones......Purchased 1998

Sony MDR-Z1R Over-Ear Headphones.......Purchased 2017

Noble Kaiser 10 Encore IEM Universal.......Purchased 2017

Sony XBA-Z5 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced.......Purchased 2017

The real problem here is foam only last so many years. 20 years tops; depending on environmental concerns. Just check out the new AKG K1000 review, they had to be reformed with custom foam. Then upon servicing the wire pulled out of the voice coil and had to be sent to Italy for the original creator to reattach. In fact it was not reattached but replaced as he still had parts from the early production run.

Truth is, all headphones get delicate with age with use. None last forever. You see a collection of 5 2-3K flagships on a wall, it’s a rotting investment.

This is more of a young mans issue. Lol

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 64
For me it's these two headphones.

Beyerdynamic Amiron Home: The best all-rounder I've ever come across, never fatigues me, very comfortable. Very solid headphone all-around, does very little wrong. Cons: Somewhat u-shaped.

I thought they had a frown shape actually! Dissapointing to me.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 64
AKG K240 sextetts
HD250s
ATH AD2000s

All others will most likely come and go.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 64
Aug 16, 2018 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 64
MP,with the EP a close second.
I personally do not like the LP. Too bass light.

Aug 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #9 of 64
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 64
Ahhh,not sure. My pair are a one off Zach custom made for me,so that within itself is a reason to hold onto them.
Im planning on grabbing a pair of Auteurs when funds permit,and will go from there. Theyre so good for metal,but then again so are my Sextetts!

My budget does not allow me the luxury of keeping multiple pairs of $1000.00+ headphones that get little to no headtime.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 64
I have the Sextetts and the K240DF EP on the radar. I missed a K240DF double wired by an hair, sent an offer but someone bought it. I regret. But on Ebay Deutch there are offers like this from time to time. I bought the HD250 there at a great price. They ship with DHL. It was slow but finally got it. The great things is they do not at first offer international shipping so those offers do not appear on Ebay.com. Here are the two K240DF EP sold last weeks:

Aug 16, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #12 of 64
Yep I tried to grab a cpl pairs last week of the DFs myself,both in the states. Missed both by a few dollars.
I have read on other forums that they have less bass than the Sextetts,but I have no idea which version of the DFs these people had.
Going off the assumption that they have less bass than sextetts,Im not prone to pay much more than 75.00 shipped for a pair.

Aug 16, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #15 of 64
Interesting topic .. I haven't owned one headphone all this time since I started the hobby!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back