keep muvo micro (n200) or return for shuffle? have reasons...
Jun 17, 2005 at 6:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slug

100+ Head-Fier
My main portable player is a 60 gig iPod photo.

I recently got a Creative Muvo Micro N200 1 gig player that I absolutely love. I think it looks great, sounds good, is extremely portable and is easy to navigate. It also has some other nice features that I have not yet gotten around to using like an FM tuner and voice recorder. This player is used for working out and lawn work or basically any activity that requires me to walk around and not want to carry around the bigger and heavier ipod.

With all that said... I have around 650+ CD's in my collection and I have them all nicely ripped into 192kbps AAC format in iTunes. My one (!) annoyance with my N200 is that whenever I have to put new songs on it I am forced to rip my selected CD's into MP3 or WMA as those are the only formats it supports.

My questions is whether you think an ipod shuffle would be a more practical and equally (or more) satisfying gadget to use as my ultra portable? The major things I would lose in the N200 would be the AAA battery support and the LCD screen. What I would gain in the shuffle would be the seemless integration with itunes and my already ripped library.

Thoughts?

Jun 17, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #2 of 8
If I was already using iTunes I'd get an iTunes compatible player. But that's just me. I don't find I need a screen on my player to cut the grass or go to the store so the shuffle is great. As in everything though YMMV.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #3 of 8
if you can live without the screen, FM tuner, voice recorder.. and other little features the n200 has that the shuffle doesn't go ahead

from what i've seen the shuffle is a truly minimalist player... it has what is needed to play music and that's it

Jun 18, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd keep the N200, the sound quality on it is awesome as well as the extra features. And I think you'll miss the screen if you get the Shuffle instead
wink.gif

Try converting your music to MP3 Pro, I think the N200 supports it and MP3 Pro sounds much better than standard MP3s.

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpian007
I'd keep the N200, the sound quality on it is awesome as well as the extra features. And I think you'll miss the screen if you get the Shuffle instead
wink.gif

Try converting your music to MP3 Pro, I think the N200 supports it and MP3 Pro sounds much better than standard MP3s.

Does the N200 have a custom eq?

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 8
Yes the n200 has a custom EQ.

scorpian007: I have no issues with the sound quality of the mp3's or the sound quality of the n200 itself. My main issue is having to re-rip my CD's into mp3 when I already have a library of AAC files ripped.

Thanks everyone for their opinions so far... I'm still undecided, however
confused.gif

Jun 18, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 8
Im sure it'll be a pain to re-rip them but you only need to do it once
smily_headphones1.gif

If you're lazy you can just get an AAC->MP3 converter but you may lose a bit of quality since you're transcoding.

Jun 18, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #8 of 8
Wanted something I could wear around my neck so I bought a 1GB Shuffle but it was just too minimalist for me. Returned it for a 2G 4GB Mini and then purchased a MuVo n200 for when I wanted to travel really light. Hey, the MuVo does it all, what's not to like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back