Keep Astro a40's for gaming or not?
Jan 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

lyons238

Head-Fier
Whats up everyone. Just as a basis I'm a bit of an audiophile and produce music as a hobby. I own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 900's that I use for producing and listening to music. I just got a pair of 2013 Astro a40's for PC and PS3 gaming. Now I am having a bit of doubts with them. They sound awesome in game, but not near as good as my Ultrasones with music, which is fine with me because I wont be listening to music on my a40's. But for gaming should I return my Astros and buy the MixAmp by itself and then a pair of Sennhesiers? I prefer open back phones when gaming, and honestly I kind of like having a built in mic, vs having to buy a clip on one. I really do like the Astro's but my question is are the Sennhesier like 598's going to be that much better just for gaming? If not I'd like to stick with the a40's as I quite like them and again will not be using them for anything but games and movies.

Jan 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #2 of 12
Isn't this a question you can answer for yourself? If you like the Astros for gaming then keep it. Personally I use my Astros almost all the time for gaming even though I have much better headphones because I like the built in mic. The quality of the sound means almost nothing to me when 90% of the time the only thing I can hear is people in teamspeak or in the game. The convenience of the Astros wins there for me and I find clip on mics to be extremely annoying and most are bad quality unless you are spending a bit of money. 

Also I think the Astros sound pretty damn decent. Much better than any other gaming headset that I've ever heard and more than adequate for me for games. The only thing I would consider switching to for gaming would be the Beyer MMX300 but I'm not keen on the price and I'm happy with the Astros. 

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM Post #3 of 12
keep it. i play cs and the surround quality is v good better then siberia or razer products. or u can buy audiophile cans they r perfect  for gsming and high quality music

Jan 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #4 of 12
well like i said...i already have ultrasone pro 900's for music. i prefer open ear for games though. strictly for game sound, are the astros as good as say like sennheiser 595's? by the way bass does matter to me for games and im pretty sure the sennheisers lack bass.

Jan 5, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 12
I'm in the process of reviewing the A40 + Mixamp 2013 combo. I really like them. If you like them now, I'd say keep them. Yes the Senns are better, but I find the A40s more fun and engaging, while the Senns are mostly all business.

The A40s are a solid headset.

I remove the speaker tags for slightly more open sound.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:
I'm in the process of reviewing the A40 + Mixamp 2013 combo. I really like them. If you like them now, I'd say keep them. Yes the Senns are better, but I find the A40s more fun and engaging, while the Senns are mostly all business.
The A40s are a solid headset.
I remove the speaker tags for slightly more open sound.

yeah i've been liking the a40s a lot, but does your mixamp make a hiss noise at 60% and higher volume? it seems a lot of people have this issue. its not always noticeable, but it is in like the ps3 home screen and stuff when theres no other sound going on.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Yes, the Mixamps have some hiss after about 60%. The first gen Mixamp had less hiss, which is a shame. I wonded what changed?

Jan 13, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Isn't this a question you can answer for yourself? If you like the Astros for gaming then keep it. Personally I use my Astros almost all the time for gaming even though I have much better headphones because I like the built in mic. The quality of the sound means almost nothing to me when 90% of the time the only thing I can hear is people in teamspeak or in the game. The convenience of the Astros wins there for me and I find clip on mics to be extremely annoying and most are bad quality unless you are spending a bit of money. 

Also I think the Astros sound pretty damn decent. Much better than any other gaming headset that I've ever heard and more than adequate for me for games. The only thing I would consider switching to for gaming would be the Beyer MMX300 but I'm not keen on the price and I'm happy with the Astros. 

Sorry to jump in a little late on the topic, but the Beyer MMX300's are listed on Amazon for $285. Are they a considerable jump in quality or have better overall surround for the price?

Jan 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #9 of 12
Assuming the MMX300 is anything like the DT770 Pro 80 in terms of surround positional cues... they will be god tier.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Assuming the MMX300 is anything like the DT770 Pro 80 in terms of surround positional cues... they will be god tier.

Well now I'm torn  :'(   Which would you recommend out of the two listed above ^^? From a bit of reading and checking around online the 770s are more comfortable and finer detail on sounds, but many prefer the MMX330 over them in terms of quality and the overall sound.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #11 of 12
Well, the MMX300 should be much more equipped for gaming. The DT770 Pro 80 has a LOT of bass, which is distracting.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 12
I think it depends on what you want OP. In an ideal world, we would have one set of headphones to game, listen to music and watch movies on. I've owned the A40's and currently own the A50's and am really happy to call them my gaming only set. That is where they shine. Perfect amount of bass and clarity. I can hear footsteps very well etc... But I also get the thrill of stuff blowing up and immersion. This is something a calmer headset for listening to music I fear wouldn't do very well. Anyway, it's all a matter of what sound do you want out of a gaming headset because it's hard to beat the refined way Astro Gaming manages both design/functionality and quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back