keane "hopes and fears"
Jun 17, 2004 at 6:38 PM Post #2 of 21
I posted about them here a few weeks back, but there was no reply bar someone who knew Keane was the name of a footballer
frown.gif

Jun 17, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #3 of 21
I wasn't so sure. I properly listened to the album a couple of times, then again while I was reading and I got that thing where you know that songs already been played. It was all too similar to me, a lot of the songs are good and the lyrics are nice too, but you can't help feeling that you've listened to it 10x before hand...

g

Jan 22, 2005 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 21
I am in agreement with the good FyrFytr that "Hopes and Fears" is one excellent rock/pop work, startlingly moving and engaging. When this thread got started, I bought a copy and it did not especially strike or move me. I recently came across this album again and, this time, it's a very different story. The music provides sonic and emotional settings that I can enter into and experience first-person. The performance of the lead singer within those settings is musically competent and dramatically engaging and credible. I really enjoy the sonic qualities of the production as well, especially with the Grado SR225 with vwap-modded Senn 414 pads through a PPA. I guess the reflective tone of the album and the theme of concession running through the songs just makes Keane's "Hopes and Fears" winter music for me. Thanks, FyrFytr, for the great reco.

Jan 22, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 21
It's good late-night music. I mean that in a positive way, it's great for chilling out before going to bed, and sounds great on my mp3 player through my shures. I just seen them on the Tsunami Relief concert and they were amazing. I wish I was at that concert - Tickets were only £15-£30 as well! It's half way through, and at the moment I think Snow Patrol were the best, but I can't wait to see Manic Street Preachers and Eric Clapton later on. Has anyone else been watching this on the net?

Jan 23, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 21
It's part Radiohead and part Coldplay, only with much more pleasant vocals. I'm personally a big fan of the UK single, "Everybody's Changing."

Jan 23, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 21
The most disappointing music purchase I've made in a while.

Jan 23, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #10 of 21
hmm... newbiez, musta missed that thread.
confused.gif

Keane's "Hopes and Fears" is a love or hate thing with most people i've met. personally i think it's a great album, i even put it as my favourite album in many 2004 polls... it's that good. the songwriting is strong, melodies are hooky and catchy; this is one of the most anthemic albums i've heard in quite a while... the recording sound quality is also very good. "Hopes and Fears" is one great guitar rock album without guitars.

Jan 24, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #12 of 21
I listened to it on Rhapsody, and I find the album to be spotty.

I really like "Can't Stop Now", and there are a few others that I thought were quite good. However, it was IMHO way too variable and inconsisitent.

Just my $0.02...for what that's worth.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 21
wow, resurrected....

for awhile after posting this and seeing what pitchfork had to say about it left me feeling like i was a lemming....

but ive never really cared what anyone else says anyway, i still like it alot.

i think that i overplayed it for awhile when i first got it, now i guess ill have to go back and listen again. kind of reminds me of how radioheads pablo honey gets picked on nowdays, (seems like the cool thing to do.) i reserve the right to judge these guys until they come up with some new studio recordings before im willing to write them off. once again, in the world of music taste, one mans trash is anothers treasure and i dont subscribe to what anyone else has to say about it, i like it very much and for those who dont, sell your copy. it is up there in my top five of the last year, whether or not people want to compare it to other bands in respect to sounding like someone else, which i dont really see. there are so many bands who sound like the next coldplay or other johnny come lately bands but for me it doesnt ring true.

like it or not, if these guys roll with the punches like radiohead and change their musical style from album to album i think they have a bright future.

Jan 24, 2005 at 2:33 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges
i like it very much and for those who dont, sell your copy.

Done and done. I think I picked up a Velvet Underground LP in place of this.

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:02 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong
Keane's "Hopes and Fears" is a love or hate thing

Always late, I got this two days ago. I'm in the love camp but not the love of passionate new lovers or of an insatiable foot for a really great boot but more the love of a younger sibling or favourite tea.
wink.gif

I hadn't heard a single song prior to purchasing it. The decision was based upon the recommendation of a friend who in a crowded mall held me against a railing four stories up and threatened to expand my horizons if I didn't buy it.

One of the things I liked straight off about 'Hopes and Fears' was it's restrained almost deceptive sophistication. A Coldplay strikes you over the head with their talent as if needing to prove something (as most do). Keane is content to have superior songcraft be in command. I also like the emotional maturity. A cursory listen has one think they are hearing the sound of uplifting cheerfullness but the quality of the melodies eventually pulls your attention in closer, and there is the discovery that this is more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back