KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #151 of 2,441
Just made a (relatively) interesting discovery about the Diamonds’ stock cable (8 core SPC I believe) and the KBear 16 core SPC - both really do make them very bass centric!

Now I understand why some people are a bit ambivalent about the low end. I’ve been using them exclusively with the NiceHCK C16-1 since they arrived, and the balance is completely different, much more shallow U rather than L shaped, nicely extended mids, better layering (by virtue of actually being able to hear the top end as much as anything)...

Really an extraordinary difference. Needless to say I’m sticking with the C16-1s :wink::fingers_crossed:

Feb 11, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #152 of 2,441
Woah, thank you! :)

It is good that we are able to start determining what drivers are in each of them :)

No problem!

Here is a handy guide I made a while ago to help know what version is what:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...reference-list.805930/page-1324#post-15199456

And here is a bit of sound comparison between the Tehnz 29898 driver (and it's generic version like you have) vs the Bellsing 32257 (which KB Ear states is the “ultimate version” or 'final' F1):

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/kb-ear-audio-impressions-thread.912673/page-4#post-15157274

As you stated in your video, the one you have (ie the generic Tehnz with no marks) has noticeably more low end than the Bellsing 32257 version.

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #153 of 2,441
I got a pair of KBear F1 last fall and they've become by daily use IEMs. Being one of the few non over-ear IEMs, they're more convenient to put on and off casually. I really love the form factor -- similar to the traditional earbud shape and size, and with the nozzle sticking out on the same plane as the thing's body. This makes it fit really nicely into even a small or full pocket. They seem durable enough to jam into a pocket without any worry, and cheap enough that it's not a huge loss if something does happen to them. They've developed some very minor chipping along edges, but really just enough to make the edge feel a bit rough to my fingers.

Mine are the TENHZ driver version. When I unboxed them I was disappointed to see I didn't get the "ultimate" Bellsing ones, but they're really quite pleasing to listen to. It sounds neutral to a bit warm across the spectrum, with no really annoying peaks. It's definitely not dark though, and sounds much more like a standard neutral tuning than the Shure likeup. Vocals, particularly female, sound clear and detailed. Male vocals are maybe a little bit recessed but still sound good. Treble is rolled off at the high end but still gives plenty of clarity and doesn't make the sound overly warm. I do hear a certain metallic character in the highs on some tracks. It't pretty subtle and isn't really distracting though, and can create a pleasant effect on electric guitars. Since 1BA means both ends get rolled off, I don't think of these as bassy earphones. Usually the bass is there but doesn't stand out, but if a song calls for a lot of bass, they do deliver. I can also EQ the bass quite high without distortion.

Two things that do bug me: cable and tips. The included cable is really nice actually. It's a very nice feeling soft braided thing, and the silver wire with clear insulation give it a premium look. What's not nice is the length between the Y and the MMCX connectors. It's about 5x longer than it needs to be. Like, if I wear them with the wire down like they seem to be intended, the Y hangs at about crotch level. There's no cinch either. I didn't find very many MMCX cables that don't have molded ear hooks, and most of them have similar length issues. What gives?

None of the included tips really fit me that well. Either they slip out of my ears too easily, make a poor seal and sound bad, or make such a good seal that any slight jaw movement creates pressure against my eardrum. Not too surprising, I don't usually get along with silicone tips, especially on wider nozzle IEMs. I somehow managed to stretch some spare black Shure T100 foam tips over them, and have been using them like that since. I like it pretty well -- it makes the end of the foam tip come to a smaller nozzle than the properly fitting T300 or T400 (?) would. I'm not sure exactly why but even being a solid sealed blob of resin and having a Shure tip, it still doesn't give me quite as much noise isolation as Shure IEMs.

Mar 6, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #154 of 2,441
I have Tri i4 for quite awhile and really love the sound and imaging is wild! Safest tuning on the planet..lol. I can wear these for hours. Ordered Tri i3 (finally got the cash together) and they should arrive soon...really pumped for these i3s. Tonite I heard from a friend who is sending me the “Diamond” and they look sweet. Recently got Starfields so I’ll compare them both...I just found this thread....welcome new friend from KB, Tri , the sound is wonderfully tuned and imaging is out of this world on my i4s...I float with the music and these i4s......i3s should be fun, fun!

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #155 of 2,441
I have Tri i4 for quite awhile and really love the sound and imaging is wild! Safest tuning on the planet..lol. I can wear these for hours. Ordered Tri i3 (finally got the cash together) and they should arrive soon...really pumped for these i3s. Tonite I heard from a friend who is sending me the “Diamond” and they look sweet. Recently got Starfields so I’ll compare them both...I just found this thread....welcome new friend from KB, Tri , the sound is wonderfully tuned and imaging is out of this world on my i4s...I float with the music and these i4s......i3s should be fun, fun!
Yes! I have just been listening to the TRI i4 with the Tin Hi-fi T3 cable and my Xduoo X20 and Fiio A5. You are right, the imaging and soundstage are amazing and the tuning is excellent. The Knowles driver shows its class. Very comfortable fit as well!

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #156 of 2,441
KBEAR KB04
KBEAR opens another masterpiece:
KB04 1BA +1DD Hybrid Driver
The whole structure adopts metal die-casting shell;
Features: Clear mid-high frequency, strong low-frequency;
Comes with 4 strands of silver-plated upgrade cable, which can be swapped and plugged;
Bright gun color surface treatment process with mirror effect;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000799521600.html?spm=2114.12010611.8148356.1.2e332dd2d8PVPy 2(1).jpg

Mar 27, 2020 at 4:13 AM Post #157 of 2,441
Hey Friend!!
328 Big Sale is coming!!!
KB EAR Diamond:$71.10 With a gift 8 core copper cable,Which is the great accessory of KB EAR Diamond
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1000007927664.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.61c4569aA36kQ7
New Product:KB EAR KB04(1BA+1DD):$27-$28
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000799521600.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.39f61011fej4HX
Tri i3 Discount price:$147.27
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000357362499.html?spm=2114.12010615.8148356.1.3e341becHbPMSC
And Great accessories!!!
2112.png

Mar 28, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #158 of 2,441
I just received a KBEAR KB04 review unit from KBEAR.

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-28 at 14.42.43.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-03-28 at 14.42.44 (2).jpeg

This is just a OOTB first impression with minimal burn in (using stock tips/cables), but it is quite a good budget set. It is a 1DD + 1BA set, and at the $30 price, it seems better tuned than some similarly priced 1DD + 1BA sets eg the Jade Audio EA3.

Build: Well built, metal chrome shells. On the slightly heavier side of things. May be a fingerprint magnet for the OCD among us, but it is comfortable and well fitting, no weird poky edges. No driver flex.
Accessories: Comes with SPC cable, a bit thin, but flexible and should be usable OOTB. Most audiophiles will probably upgrade the cable, but considering the cheap price, I think KBEAR had to save some money at the cable area. 2 different sets of silicone eartips are provided (one with narrower bore, one with wider bore), will try them out and A/B more. But the tips are good fitting, no need to mess around with aftermarket stuff like the BLON BL-03.
Isolation: Very good, considering it is vented.
Sound: Harmanish tuning, subbass extension/decay/quantity is a bit on the thin side considering it is a DD bass (sorry I'm a basshead). Mid bass is definitely lesser than some sets like the BLON BL-03/KBEAR Diamond, so those that want something approaching a bass just slightly north of neutral might appreciate this set. Slight midbass bleed. Bass seems quite fast for a DD set, quite accurate note placement. In fact if the KBEAR specs didn't specify a 1DD + 1BA config, I would have thought the bass was a BA bass.
Mids slightly recessed in the lower mids. Upper mids are boosted and occasionally can get shouty with certain tracks. Lower treble is boosted with higher treble roll off. Minimal sibilance.
Soundstage: Above average in width.
Technicalities: Above average clarity/details. Good imaging/instrument separation.
Timbre/note weight: Note weight on the thinner side. Slightly artificial timbre for the treble frequencies for acoustic instruments. Timbre slightly dry for vocals. The timbre in the bass frequencies (covered by the DD) is quite good and natural.
Drivability: Does well from low powered sources like smart phones and will make a good on the go IEM. Scales better with amping in the areas of soundstage and details.

Will drop a more detailed review after spending more time with the KB04, but for the price of $30, I think it will be a good set for those new to the hobby and those wanting a good daily beater budget set. Experienced audiophiles will probably own something better (though more expensive). But the KB04 definitely boasts good price to perfomance ratio. I remember paying more than 10 times some years back for my Westone 3 (3 BA driver) to have something very similar in technicalities as the KB04 (though Westone 3 was more V shaped in tuning). I suspect the upper mids harshness can be tamed somewhat with different eartips, will explore more and report back.

EDIT: I am pleased to report that with different eartips (eg wider bore ear tips like tenmark whirlwinds), the upper mids can be tamed. But of course we all have different hearing health, different ear anatomies and different treble sensitivities. But I would strongly advise to try the KB04 with different tips other than just the stock ones, you might just hit on a certain configuration that gives you the Eureka sound!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #159 of 2,441
I picked up a pair of kbear kb10 for £20 from amazon UK, yesterday. My first pure ba set. They are a bit bit bright for my ears. But sound cleaner than my kz zs10 pro. With a funky eq setting, they are really nice. Warning though, they are rather large and seal remarkly well. I think they are larger than my kz zs10 non pro.

I reduce the 4k region by 10db 2k by 6 and increase the sub bass by 6db and they sound great. My kz sets I reduce the 4k by 6db. But these still sound more natural thank my zs10 pros with this eq. Pretty much a steal at 20 quid.

Apr 6, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #160 of 2,441
May 10, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #162 of 2,441
Just made a (relatively) interesting discovery about the Diamonds’ stock cable (8 core SPC I believe) and the KBear 16 core SPC - both really do make them very bass centric!

Now I understand why some people are a bit ambivalent about the low end. I’ve been using them exclusively with the NiceHCK C16-1 since they arrived, and the balance is completely different, much more shallow U rather than L shaped, nicely extended mids, better layering (by virtue of actually being able to hear the top end as much as anything)...

Really an extraordinary difference. Needless to say I’m sticking with the C16-1s :wink::fingers_crossed:
The next time someone tells me that cables make no difference I will point this post out..thanks.

May 10, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #163 of 2,441
The next time someone tells me that cables make no difference I will point this post out..thanks.
:)
I also like them with the Faaeal copper litz cable, more v shaped but squeezes out a little extra clarity - the slam in the mid bass can be a bit much but it’s a good option imho for a more energetic sound (especially at the price they go for).
1DF5C591-D093-4F75-B9E7-1D9A8847F530.jpeg

And they match the case.
Edit: forgot to say I hope you’re enjoying yours!

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #165 of 2,441
Hmm! I do love a good value proposition. Maybe a set of F1s is in my future! Are the various versions related to time if release or is it more luck if the draw?
I'll throw in a couple data points:
Bought an F1 from Aliexpress on Sep 12, 2019 ==> TENHZ 29898
Bought another F1 from Amazon on Feb 29, 2020 ==> Bellsing 32257
If more people can post when and where they bought their F1 and what driver they got, maybe we can figure out a pattern.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back