KaZaA safe to install?
Sep 16, 2002 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I just downloaded Kazaa and was going to install it when it presented me with spyware galore... well, at least it had the decency to warn me
ohmy.gif

It had the option for me to not install them... but I doubt that it would stay free if I don't check ANY of the spywares for installation?

Or does it have some other dark matter for me in store?
unsure.gif
blink.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 16, 2002 at 2:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Hi Joe,

DO NOT INSTALL KAZAA!!!

Instead get the spyware ripped version called Kazaa Lite
biggrin.gif
Link

I advise reading through the site and applying the supertrick. I believe it's now included right in the install and all you have to do is check the option.

Any questions PM me.

Phil

Sep 16, 2002 at 2:07 PM Post #3 of 16
As far as I know, the current version of Kazaa has some nefarious program that installs and runs in your background using your computer's spare cycles to crunch numbers for some third party marketing company.

Read this CNN article about the piggyback software . Evil stuff.
eek.gif

Use Kazaa Lite. Kazaa Lite is a pirated version of the Kazaa platform that has the spyware and evil piggyback crap gutted out.

BTW - Mods, I'm not sure about this forum's policies about discussing hacked software like Kazaa Lite. If it's an issue, please delete the link I inserted to the Kazaa Lite site.
smily_headphones1.gif

[edit] elnero beat me to the punch.
tongue.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 16
heh, neat. i already run number-crunching software. goto www.distributed.net and download the software, then configure it with "grinch@h0ar.com" as your e-mail address for me.. please?
biggrin.gif

try kazaa lite. that's what i put on computers for my friends who want all that stupid crap.

Sep 16, 2002 at 3:02 PM Post #5 of 16
Cool, thanks guys
biggrin.gif
If this thread got deleted you guys must send me a link, I think I won't get to download it yet tonight
smily_headphones1.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Sep 16, 2002 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

BTW - Mods, I'm not sure about this forum's policies about discussing hacked software like Kazaa Lite. If it's an issue, please delete the link I inserted to the Kazaa Lite site.

As far as I know, there's nothing in the rules about discussing hacked software or MP3 trading sites. (Don't hold me to this...will get back to you) The selling or trading of pirated files through Head-Fi is not allowed however.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 16
Thanks for the Kazaa lite links...

Now, the question is... if its not in my uninstall list through control panel, and there is no removal file in the Kazaa folder... how do I remove the standard version??

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 16
Don't worry... its been a long day
redface.gif

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #10 of 16
Sep 16, 2002 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
Another site that you might like to use is www.winmx.com

No spyware or anything like that as far as I am aware.

Cheers....

NO SPYWARE on WinMX...and from my experience it's even better than kAzAa LITE... Don't even think of getting closer to the regular kAzAa!!!

Sep 16, 2002 at 7:37 PM Post #12 of 16
WinMX is also a good alternative and a better place to find more off-the-beaten-path music. However, the user interface is kind of assy and you'll get many, many incomplete files.

I use Grokster (cleaned out of spyware) and WinMX. I tried LimeWire for a bit, but I couldn't find what I needed.

Sep 17, 2002 at 4:46 AM Post #13 of 16
Sep 17, 2002 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 16
Everyone should use AdAware. I scan my PC with it a couple times per month.

Sep 17, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
Everyone should use AdAware. I scan my PC with it a couple times per month.

i totally agree. i put it on friend's computers and update/scan whenever i go over to their houses.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back