Katatonia - "Night Is the New Day" (For fans of Porcupine Tree, The Cure & Opeth)
Sep 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 65

YtseJamer

Headphoneus Supremus
I can't wait !!!
evil_smiley.gif

From Katatonia.com :

"it’s hard to believe, but it’s a fact – the rathole sessions are over, we’re done! David “King rat of the rathole” Castillo, Jonas and me have spent the longest studio sessions this far with nearly every hour of the day (or night) since we finished up with the vocals. Picture this: Mix down, reference listening, un-do, re-do, mix down, reference listening, repeat x 100. There’s always something you find to correct, whether it’s one drum hit thats not loud enough, or a backing harmony that doesnt cut through, or a frequenzy in the bass that makes the rathole sound like a steamboat, yeah basically hundreds of things that fight for their position and balance in the sound picture. One song even reached a staggering 136 (!) active tracks. That’s quite a contrast to the days were we were given 16 tracks for the whole package. Everything has to be optimized and you end up going back and forth improving and updating versions of the mix to replace the previous efforts and you can do this for eternity, unless you have a deadline. We just managed to complete the mix at the very last day and let me tell you, the album sounds fan-fukkin-tastic! It’s heavy, punchy and crunchy. It sounds very 3D in headphones. We put this album back to back with a couple of other band’s albums and it is either right up there sideways with them, or it simply sits with it’s azz on their faces. Crushed!

The last two days was spent on the final stage – mastering with Jens Bogren twiddling on his knobs down Fascination Street in Örebro, while we were stand-by in the rathole for urgent repairs an reference listening. Uploading and downloading the files of the whole production via ftp enabled us to communicate and do the same things we normally would, but now in two different towns. Can’t say no to ez living for the hard working modern man. After about 4 attempts, we got there. The album has now been approved by everyone. It got the green light and now in peaceville’s hands. Our work is done, yet it has only just begun. On saturday the band will hook up and we’ll have a private pre-listening session with some of our friends and colleagues and celebrate we’re done! Then on monday we’ll have an official pre-listening session all day as Peaceville will fly in journo’s from the daily papers, music magazines and radio stations from around Europe. A few photo sessions will round up that night. Then next week it’s time for the mini-site to go online. Are you ready? /Anders"

Sep 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 65
Release date?

Im stoked to hear new material; loved Great Cold Distance.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #5 of 65
x3 for Great Cold Distance! I'll be anxiously waiting for this release. I've also been meaning to pick up something from their older catalog like Brave Murder Day.

Sep 11, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 65
I don't mind Viva Emptiness & Discouraged Ones; they're good collections of poppy metal songs. But other than that, I can't stand their new stuff. Dance of December Souls, For Funerals to Come and Brave Murder Day are three of my all-time favourite metal releases... but their new stuff sounds so artificial, processed, unemotional and radio-inclined. I'll listen to the new album with open ears, but unless Jonas growls I can't see myself liking it - though I guess that would alienate their newer breed of fans
frown.gif

FWIW I think Jonas Renkse is one of the metal genre's best vocalists, and the band can obviously write some great material, but their shift of focus towards a mainstream sound is just sad for me. the "3D sound in headphones" sounds like a gimmick IMO
tongue.gif

Sorry for being overtly negative, but I can't see how anyone can like their new stuff in place of their old stuff unless you aren't a big metal/growling vocals fan (like I once was, I admit).

Sep 11, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to really like Katatonia. I haven't listened to them in years so I will have to catch up on their last releases. After Last Fair Deal Gone Down, the music lost its appeal to me.

Same. Viva Emptiness wasn't bad but a noticeable step back from LFDGD and The Great Cold Distance bored me to tears.

Here's hoping the new album is a return to form.

Sep 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 65
From Discouraged Ones to The Great Cold Distance, all the albums are pretty much in balance IMO. Very good melodies and great songs on all of these five albums. These are easily their best albums also. I don't like the earlier work that much. I think that The Great Cold Distance is my favorite one. Can't wait to hear their new album.

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #12 of 65
Sounds awesome to me. I loved The Great Cold Distance, so I'm really looking forward to Night Is The New Day.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #14 of 65
Um not surprising since they are very good buddies. I wont be surprised if Katatonia said Watershed is the greatest album of all time. But then, I love Opeth, and will listen to anything Akerfeldt claims as Awesome, so yeah...I'm convinced :p

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #15 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um not surprising since they are very good buddies. I wont be surprised if Katatonia said Watershed is the greatest album of all time. But then, I love Opeth, and will listen to anything Akerfeldt claims as Awesome, so yeah...I'm convinced :p

Same. If Mikael likes it, it must be good.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back